IGNORED

Birmingham City at home match thread

Actually looking forward to the game this week, I think the injuries to Andi and Tommy could force Nigel's hand with the formation so will be interesting to see what he does or maybe he will just revert to the usual 3-5-2, I'm feeling positive for 3pts, but I dread to think what the atmosphere will be like if we let an early goal in, If people are going to try and create an atmosphere in the dolman corner I hope it's a positive one, we need to get behind the players from the first whistle. C.O.Y.R

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

After what was easily the worse game I’ve been to this season at St Andrews, this is pay back weekend.

I’m expecting a good game of football, a cracking atmosphere, a first Saturday 3 o’clock home win of the season and a first penalty for 17 years (or whatever it is now)

OK so expecting a penalty is ridiculous but the rest………….

• Like 1

Since 1989 the record of results is:

Bristol City Won 8

Draws 4

Brum City Won 17

I live with a Bluenose next door to me. He hasn't watched them for years but will be knocking on my door on Saturday evening IF.... One of probably thousands who have retired here, Burnham On Sea, Berrow and Brean - Brummy accents all over the place. 

So, please, please, please BCFC, the Bristle version, please let me enjoy my Saturday evening Bolognese and red wine. I don't want any of them bloody foreigners yet again taking the mickey. Get stuck into them lads and send them home empty handed. I know it will be unusual for them but turn the tide please.

• Like 2
  • Robin 1
3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Since 1989 the record of results is:

Bristol City Won 8

Draws 4

Brum City Won 17

I live with a Bluenose next door to me. He hasn't watched them for years but will be knocking on my door on Saturday evening IF.... One of probably thousands who have retired here, Burnham On Sea, Berrow and Brean - Brummy accents all over the place. 

So, please, please, please BCFC, the Bristle version, please let me enjoy my Saturday evening Bolognese and red wine. I don't want any of them bloody foreigners yet again taking the mickey. Get stuck into them lads and send them home empty handed. I know it will be unusual for them but turn the tide please.

They certainly come out the woodwork around here when doing well 

5 hours ago, Mattredrobin said:

Actually looking forward to the game this week, I think the injuries to Andi and Tommy could force Nigel's hand with the formation so will be interesting to see what he does or maybe he will just revert to the usual 3-5-2, I'm feeling positive for 3pts, but I dread to think what the atmosphere will be like if we let an early goal in, If people are going to try and create an atmosphere in the dolman corner I hope it's a positive one, we need to get behind the players from the first whistle. C.O.Y.R

Well when supporters were up in the Dolman in the last game ,they couldn't be heard over in The  Lansdown, created no atmosphere at all, 

18 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Brum at the Gate and it’s a big game given both teams league position. The Blues have picked up just four points out of their last 15 available, whereas we have have earned five.

They will be backed by 2,503 fans and there will be 20,000 + in attendance.

NP pre-match:

ZV pre-match:

Our match preview: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/match-preview-birmingham-city-h-1/

Their match preview: https://bluesfocus.co.uk/2023/01/11/match-preview-blues-vs-bristol-city/

They have a good recent record against us, having only lost one of the previous eight encounters and doing the double over us last season. Our overall record isn’t encouraging. Over the years we’ve won 18, drawn 17 and lost 37.

In early October we just didn’t turn up at St Andrew’s as they scored three goals, all from set pieces, without reply. It was a very, very, poor performance from us in which we managed no shots on target. NP was blunt in his post-match reflections, saying:  “It was awful – there is no defence for that performance today. It’s not acceptable. There’s no defence for us to give three points away in that fashion” here’s his post-match interview:

Here are the ‘highlights’:

In July they appointed John Eustace as their Head Coach, he signed a three year contract. Prior to this he was assistant manager at Queens Park Rangers, helping the Hoops to achieve two top-half finishes and install a distinct football philosophy across four years in West London.

Last Saturday their game away to FGR in the FA cup was called off due to a water-logged pitch.

This window, so far, they have added defender Kevin Long on a short-term deal from Championship leaders Burnley. They also secured Germany Under-21 forward Reda Khadraloan on a loan deal https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64221502 on Tuesday and the footballing gods will certainly ensure he scores against us, as we’d been interested in signing him!

We will be without Tommy and Andi….. https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-weimann-conway-injuries-8018324?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_campaign=bcfc_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

They are close to welcoming back Wolverhampton Wanderers loanee Dion Sanderson the centre-back has nearly recovered from a hamstring problem. Manager John Eustace confirmed that the injury was nothing more than a ‘slight strain’, though Sanderson does remain a doubt ahead of the game.

Top scorer Scott Hogan is finally fit after a fairly lengthy spell on the sidelines but midfielder George Hall has hit a setback. The youngster was nearly back from a calf issue but he will spend a while longer recovering.

Match officials - referee John Busby. Lino’s Mark Pottage and Nigel Lugg, fourth official James Linington.

Brum banter

• The FA cup was made in Birmingham.
  • They were actually formed by a group of cricketers in the Bordesley Green area of Birmingham, back in 1875. The lads were looking to play competitive football and just two years later, the club moved into its first ground, Muntz Street. The rent was £5-a-year!
  • They were the first side to sell a player for £1 million.  The man in question being Trevor Francis, who is arguably one of the best players in the club’s long history. He scored 133 goals in 328 appearances but in 1970 he moved to Nottingham Forest for £1 million.
  • In February 2011 the Blues lifted their first major silverware for over 55 years when the overcame Arsenal in the League Cup final. Goals from Nikola Zigic and Obafemi Martins gave Birmingham a place in the modern-day history books but it was a season that ended in disappointment. They were relegated on the last day of the season following a 2-1 defeat at White Hart Lane which meant in two seasons, Birmingham had won major silverware, been relegated, competed in the Europa League and lost a two-legged play-off semi final the season later. Pretty hectic stuff!
  • Iconic brands Birds Custard, Cadbury Chocolate, Bournville Drinking Chocolate, HP Source and Typhoo Tea all started in Birmingham.
  • Famous fans include: Jasper Carrot - Comedian, Colin Buchanan - Dalziel and Pascoe star, Roy Wood - Christmas-loving frontman of Wizzard, David Harewood - Actor (Homeland), Mike Skinner - Singer from The Streets and Jeff Lynne - ELO legend.

2C2C4858-A610-4C2C-AD5A-7DD7E62F56BA.jpeg

It is probably not what you would call a six- point game but we have to win this one today. A win will keep our faith in NP but more importantly this will emphasize a significant point in supporter hope and some confidence and feeling of belief.

This will be difficult, they completely bullied us all over the pitch in the away game - it felt like all their players were 6ft+.

Big opportunity for Sam Bell over these next few games with Conway out, you'd think would at least get some longer sub time. So far has failed to impress from his cameo sub appearances.

Surely after Swansea game 4-3-3 is the way to go, so we can at least compete in central m/f, but who knows what NP will do.

Have to say don't feel optimistic.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Flagon said:

No trains up from Weston-super-Mare. Flooding on the line between here and Bristol but not sure how far up the line other stations impacted. Queues for buses into Bristol massive. 

Agreed been to Weston this morning couldn't get back via train, around 10.30 onwards cancelled flooding at Backwell and Long Ashton 

• Like 1