IGNORED

Sam Bell

1960maaan

Really pleased for the lad, so important to get that first goal and have some positive influence on a game.
Over the years we've had a few with massive promise that have stalled after a few games, and I had started to worry about Bell. Because we weren't in a position just to give him starts, it was really difficult to make an impact. Obviously that is mainly for us, the support as Nige would see him every day, but he could easily disappear. Of course , as his old man knows the score, that could help.
I've seen a bit of him for the U23s, he definitely has an eye for goal, but has had little opportunity to show it so far in the first team. Getting games is important, but many of the minutes he has had would have been out of his natural position. There would have been question marks over his strength and pace stepping up to first team striker, and that's why I loved the goal last night.
Watched it a few times and his movement to step across the CB not only showed pace, but awareness to take the CB out of the equation , then a decent finish. But it's not only that, he managed an assist for Sykes with a nicely weighted pass . Maybe not the most difficult pass, but easy to overhit in the moment. Add he nearly got on the end of Semenyo's cross shot and , from the Radio, sounded like he was involved in a few decent moments I hope he can kick on the way that Conway has.
Conway really stood out for me in the U23s, he lead the line with great movement, touch/technique and calm finishes. Bell is very different , a lot more of his game goes unnoticed, but he gets in good positions and scores.  I hope he really shines , he seems to fit the style of forward we play with now. Pace, movement and hard work. 
Keep on keeping on Sam :clap:

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

There were a couple of mistakes Saturday but there were also a couple of moments when I thought - yes there's a player gaining confidence and showing what he can do.

Yeah he had a really promising run late in the game vs Brum didn’t get the finish right on that occasion, but he showed belief and threat and carried that into yesterdays with a cracking goal and assist. Another attacking option emerging. Love it .

• Like 1

In his radio Bristol interview he said he knew he’d beaten the defender and if he’d brought him down it would have been a penalty.

Clearly still a lot to learn.

Seriously though I’m really chuffed for the lad, he’s been patient and now hopefully he can reap some rewards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

Pearson also said last night (paraphrased) that it’s tough to make an impact coming on as sub for brief minutes, so he wanted to give Sam much longer to get into the game.  33 minutes turned into 63 minutes with extra time.  Would’ve been very easy to play Nahki for 75-80 and then put Sam on.  Double benefit, Nahki should be fresh(er) for Saturday.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Pearson also said last night (paraphrased) that it’s tough to make an impact coming on as sub for brief minutes, so he wanted to give Sam much longer to get into the game.  33 minutes turned into 63 minutes with extra time.  Would’ve been very easy to play Nahki for 75-80 and then put Sam on.  Double benefit, Nahki should be fresh(er) for Saturday.

A couple of days rest now I should think, in the past the players have gone back to the HPC to get a session in the freezer, so most of them probably didn't get home until the early hours this morning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Can anyone give me a comparison to another player in terms of style or what to expect? Is he a small number 9 or a winger/wide forward?

I think the Michael Owen comparison is a good one, quick, low centre of gravity, good finish. He can play wider, but I would like to see him as central as possible. I could definitely see him feeding off through balls from likes of Scott and Williams. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Can anyone give me a comparison to another player in terms of style or what to expect? Is he a small number 9 or a winger/wide forward?

His goal last night reminded me of Michael Owen's goal against Argentina in the 98 WC.

Would be ok if he's anything like as good as him!

• Like 2

I watched Saikou Janneh a few times both for us and Torquay and never thought he’d make a championship player.

Bell is different, he has that great ability to run with the ball at speed but also keep his head up, seeing what’s around him. Defenders hate it and trying not to sound like I’ve got a lot to learn, he looks like he’s our best bet for a long time in getting penalties.

A long way to go but I’m excited to see him progress.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think the Michael Owen comparison is a good one, quick, low centre of gravity, good finish. He can play wider, but I would like to see him as central as possible. I could definitely see him feeding off through balls from likes of Scott and Williams. 

19 minutes ago, downendcity said:

His goal last night reminded me of Michael Owen's goal against Argentina in the 98 WC.

Would be ok if he's anything like as good as him!

18 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Reminded me a little of Sam Baldock last night. 

Thanks all - Could he play up front on his own?

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Poor goal to concede according to Russell Martin haha. Great finish!

Was expecting the player chasing him to do what Wood did to Semenyo earlier on in the game and drag him down by his shirt - Almost like Chiellini on Saka in the Euros final. 

1 minute ago, marcofisher said:

Thanks all - Could he play up front on his own?

Too lightweight at this stage I think!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

As a City comparrison I'd say Carl Shutt . But he has some growing and learning to do, but great promise.

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Saw that this morning, must admit I was a little worried. They had a bench full of first teamers to change it up, we had 6th Formers. :clapping:
Couldn't have been much better, other than to win it in normal time. Most annoying thing was not being able to watch, sounded like OTC made an impression.

1 minute ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Mickey was left footed I think? Judging by the way he took the goal (which I have enjoyed about 10 times now ?) maybe Sam hasn't inherited that?

Two different types of player. Mickey was left back his son is a striker. Very different abilities required for those positions.

Whilst Pearson alluded to the fact that half the team were saying wtf with the wurzel music - is that supposed to wind them up or us.???

.. meanwhile Local boy Sam Bell ran out with the  wurzels ringing in his ears to the slightly modified tune of  "black SWAN I'll ave eee"

15 minutes ago, Robbored said:

From a Jacks perspective it was a  poor goal to concede and if City had conceded a goal like that Nige would have said exactly the same.

Yes all managers say the same, very few on occassion credit opposition goals. They credit opposition desire but rarely individual goals. I find this quite odd but then they work everyday to limit errors.

11 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yes all managers say the same, very few on occassion credit opposition goals. They credit opposition desire but rarely individual goals. I find this quite odd but then they work everyday to limit errors.

A manager's first thought will nearly always be "how has that happened, what could we have done to prevent it?" We as fans do it too, the instaneous reaction for any goal conceded is to look at the defence.

21 minutes ago, hantsred said:

Whilst Pearson alluded to the fact that half the team were saying wtf with the wurzel music - is that supposed to wind them up or us.???

I thought is was a great idea to play Wurzels songs in Wales. Maybe our players should familiarise themselves with the Wurzels, maybe then they wouldn’t complain!

If I were a player those songs would fire me up but then I am a local and very familiar with the Wurzels.

• Flames 1