IGNORED

Managers you like

Phileas Fogg

29 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I admire it if he did that by getting them to play out of their skin, rather than cheat out of their skin.

Got to work with what you have though. Id’ve been very happy as a Rotherham fan for that season.   Think his football overall is much maligned and unfairly so (not at Rotherham!).  When he had decent players at QPR especially and Cardiff to a lesser extent in their early years together they played some really decent stuff.  He worked with what he had to get results.   Can’t blame him for that.  

On 19/01/2023 at 13:42, GrahamC said:

Only spending £210m in the process, an incredible achievement with such limited resources.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not - £210m in today's market doesn't get you much if you're trying to build a team to get into the Champions League!

Genuinely, their recruitment has been excellent and building a team - and bearing in mind they were absolute relegation fodder for a sustained period time - in that short space of time is much, much easier said than done. You only need to look at the sort of money other clubs/managers have wasted to appreciate that.

(Apologies if you're being genuine!).

16 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not - £210m in today's market doesn't get you much if you're trying to build a team to get into the Champions League!

Genuinely, their recruitment has been excellent and building a team - and bearing in mind they were absolute relegation fodder for a sustained period time - in that short space of time is much, much easier said than done. You only need to look at the sort of money other clubs/managers have wasted to appreciate that.

(Apologies if you're being genuine!).

I was being sarcastic but to honest I know very little about the Prem, apart from the fact Newcastle have some pretty odious owners, & I’m quite happy with that.

3 hours ago, lenred said:

Got to work with what you have though. Id’ve been very happy as a Rotherham fan for that season.   Think his football overall is much maligned and unfairly so (not at Rotherham!).  When he had decent players at QPR especially and Cardiff to a lesser extent in their early years together they played some really decent stuff.  He worked with what he had to get results.   Can’t blame him for that.  

TBF he did get the absolute best out of Adel Taraabt. He was a joy to watch.

I have a little obsession with Brian Clough. Ive a lot of books on him.

Other old school who was entertaining was Ron Atkinson

Current times? Without question Steve Cotterill. He brought me my club, winners

Others I go with Neil Warnock, Bollocks to what people say about him. Blokes a determined winner and whatever club he managed , he wore that badge as if he were as passionate as the supporters. The bloke cared about his teams. Away from the pitch he always comes across as a decent bloke with good stories

Like others I have to include Mick McCarthy and Tony Mowbray. No bullshit and say it as it is

Jose Mourinho. I miss having him in the Premier League

• Like 1

On 19/01/2023 at 18:47, maxjak said:

Mikel Arteta...........has taken Arsenal in just 3 years to dizzying heights, with astute signings and outstanding tactics.  At just 40, he is the manager i admire   the most.     As for Eddie Howe, I admire him as a manager, and can fully appreciate his ambition and talent..........but anyone who goes near Saudi Arabia FC must lack a conscience........IMHO?

Is that the same Arteta who worked at Man City under their owners,his conscience must be lacking as well 

12 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It was never going to happen here, Dave. By utter coincidence in the evening after the Palace match when the 'non goal' was scored and Warnock accused GJ of being a cheat- I was at a small gathering with Steve and Maggie being there. I talked to him about the match and he clearly didnt like Colin. When I specifically asked him about that 'goal', he just said absolutely dead pan ( in reference to NW) "It couldn't have happened to a nicer person". After that, to my mind, Colin would never make Steve's manager short list.

People have often said that Steve would never appoint Colin because he wasn't a 'yes man' but I think that it was simply a case that he didn't like him or perhaps could never forgive the cheat reference? I don't think an owner has to be friends with their manager or even necessarily like them but they're never going to employ someone in that position if they dislike them.

They should appoint the best man for the job simple as if they like them or not,and you will never convince me a warnock in charge wouldn’t have got us promoted,it’s what has held us back for so many years with our owner 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

51 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Has anyone said Pep yet? Absolute pervert of football and surely one of the best of our time.

It’s a interesting one that,at Barcelona he had Messi xavi and inesta then went to Bayern and Man City,I’m not saying he’s a lucky manager but I’m sure even Tony Pullis would be successful being in charge of those clubs 

8 hours ago, lenred said:

5 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

TBF he did get the absolute best out of Adel Taraabt. He was a joy to watch.

Agreed.

Would add his Sheffield United and QPR side were not bad at times too but it might depend on whether his remit was a short term or a longer term one. Survival, well it's dig in etc.

6 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s a interesting one that,at Barcelona he had Messi xavi and inesta then went to Bayern and Man City,I’m not saying he’s a lucky manager but I’m sure even Tony Pullis would be successful being in charge of those clubs 

True he's worked with exceptional players. However I do admire his passion. To have won so much and still be hungry for success is quite something. I'd have retired years ago.

Even as an Everton fan I do like Klopp. He just comes across as the kind of manager who knows how to get the best out of his players and as I player you’d play your guts out for.

You get some managers that are quite dull or wingie and moany like Conte and Mourinho who you imagine can’t be much fun as players to work for.

i remember watching that series on Salford when they were first taken over by Neville and co and they appointed a pair of managers who basically just shouted at the players. For a good manager needs to inspire players. Not just bawl at them

Maybe I’m just a softie!