IGNORED

Managers you like

Phileas Fogg

As the OP clearly stated current managers of other clubs, not ex City or past managers, I think I would say Marco Silva. Like his personality and how he comes across in interviews.

As someone with a blue persuasion as far as the City of Liverpool is concerned, it's a shame Everton are such a cluster**** of a club. Both him and Benitez could have been successful there, but I think we're deprived of the chance .

• Like 1

Off the top of my head, managers I like/rate (but who I wouldn’t necessarily want at City) are:

Mick McCarthy worked did well at Ipswich on a tight budget. 

Tony Mowbray’a teams always seem to play decent stuff. 

Gary Rowett’s sides always seem well organised. 

Neil Warnock is a great character who revels in his pantomime villain role. 

Mark Robins always comes across well in interviews.

Alex Neil - horrible football but is able to get results. 

In terms of City managers, Terry Cooper is my favourite, no one else comes close. Then it’s Joe Jordan (first spell) and Cotts. 

I saw this video and thought of this thread.

As fans we sometimes become detached of reality when it comes to supporting our team.

And sometimes we say things, throw away comments, that when you put in perspective and compare to our own lives...it's worth stopping and thinking.

• Like 2

Mikel Arteta...........has taken Arsenal in just 3 years to dizzying heights, with astute signings and outstanding tactics.  At just 40, he is the manager i admire   the most.     As for Eddie Howe, I admire him as a manager, and can fully appreciate his ambition and talent..........but anyone who goes near Saudi Arabia FC must lack a conscience........IMHO?

Edited by maxjak

55 minutes ago, big dosser said:

Gareth Ainsworth for me just love his rock and roll vibe and the way he works with peanuts

Yep, me too. I saw a piece on the TV last year after the death of Bill Turnbull, who was a massive Wycombe fan. Ainsworth was so supportive of him and just came across as a really genuine guy with a real passion and affection for Wycombe. 

Really good question. Bobby Robson for producing the first England team I fell in love with. Terry Cooper for being a lovely bloke and a City hero (although vast majority of his time managing City was before my time).  Simeone for breaking the Spanish monopoly and his shithousery. Pep for his dress sense ?

Edited by lenred

10 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Kitson certainly didn't like him.

Watched a couple of Undr the Cosh interviews with Clarke Carlisle & Wilbs - they absolutely loved him. 

By all accounts, my cousin is a Reading fan (poor bastard).

In his own words, "Dave Kitson is a c**k".

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

I like the majority of our ex managers, not sure why. Especially the likes of Johnson and Cotterill where I felt they saw City as more than a job.

Wilson can f off though cos of Robbored.

I agree re: the majority of our ex-managers.

The ones that were here medium to long term, (Gary J, Cotterill, Lee J), in particular. 

As a fan base, we tend to prefer managers with big personalities who cause a bit of a stir. I think this was one factor as to why people were pretty apathetic towards SO'D (context of where we were as a team also a big factor) and also to an extent Coppell. Pearson is obviously a big personality too and it's a similar situation with him.

I think there may be a bit of psychology behind this. We're in a fairly unique position nationally in that we're probably the biggest City that hasn't had a Prem team in recent history. We've always felt a bit side lined (the irritation of being called "Bristol" and the novel enjoyment of Jonathan Pearce shoehorning in City references wherever possible).

As a fanbase we want a big personality to take pride in our club and bring us the success we feel we deserve given the size of the City and potential catchment area. All of GJ, Cotterill, LJ and Pearson are proud and have big personalities. All of them tend to rub a % of supporters, whether they're ours or opposition fans, up the wrong way and divide opinion.

Compare that to someone like Holden, not as much of a big personality, where there seems to be a consensus opinion that he was a nice guy that was out of his depth. There are still debates some 15 years later as to whether we did the right thing in the 2008 January Transfer window.. and a discussion as to whether Cotterill was adequately backed in 2015 or whether Lee Johnson's tenure can be described as a success would still reach 3/4 pages.

Whether you liked them or not (Pearson too) I think I've felt the most engaged with watching the club when we've had a manager who caused a stir at the helm.

Edited by Phileas Fogg

21 hours ago, shelts said:

Always liked Neil Warnock . His teams were always hard to play against and I loved his passion for the game and the successes he had . Loved the antics/ street smart his teams had , never seen it at the gate and at times could’ve done with it . 
Not everyone’s cup of tea I grant you . 

Never thought I liked the guy and never wanted him here even when previously a possibility.

Having dais that, I listened to his interview with Adrain Childs on 5 live yesterday and couldn't help but admire him and thoroughly enjoyed a fascinating interview.

I loved his comment about his time as a pro footballer " I made a success of being a constant failure". 

And his manager at Chesterfield who roughly said " Neil, I see Sunday League players every week who have more talent and ability than you but they dont have your heart, your desire and that's why you're here and not them" 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Never thought I liked the guy and never wanted him here even when previously a possibility.

Having dais that, I listened to his interview with Adrain Childs on 5 live yesterday and couldn't help but admire him and thoroughly enjoyed a fascinating interview.

I loved his comment about his time as a pro footballer " I made a success of being a constant failure". 

And his manager at Chesterfield who roughly said " Neil, I see Sunday League players every week who have more talent and ability than you but they dont have your heart, your desire and that's why you're here and not them" 

I‘ve always liked Warnock, apart from when he’s in the opposition dugout.  I think he’s a canny manager, sometimes goes a bit OTT, but a good example of a fairly undistinguished playing career who found a niche in management.

I don’t think I ever wanted him here, but would’ve been interesting times had he ever got the job.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I‘ve always liked Warnock, apart from when he’s in the opposition dugout.  I think he’s a canny manager, sometimes goes a bit OTT, but a good example of a fairly undistinguished playing career who found a niche in management.

I don’t think I ever wanted him here, but would’ve been interesting times had he ever got the job.

It was never going to happen here, Dave. By utter coincidence in the evening after the Palace match when the 'non goal' was scored and Warnock accused GJ of being a cheat- I was at a small gathering with Steve and Maggie being there. I talked to him about the match and he clearly didnt like Colin. When I specifically asked him about that 'goal', he just said absolutely dead pan ( in reference to NW) "It couldn't have happened to a nicer person". After that, to my mind, Colin would never make Steve's manager short list.

People have often said that Steve would never appoint Colin because he wasn't a 'yes man' but I think that it was simply a case that he didn't like him or perhaps could never forgive the cheat reference? I don't think an owner has to be friends with their manager or even necessarily like them but they're never going to employ someone in that position if they dislike them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It was never going to happen here, Dave. By utter coincidence in the evening after the Palace match when the 'non goal' was scored and Warnock accused GJ of being a cheat- I was at a small gathering with Steve and Maggie being there. I talked to him about the match and he clearly didnt like Colin. When I specifically asked him about that 'goal', he just said absolutely dead pan ( in reference to NW) "It couldn't have happened to a nicer person". After that, to my mind, Colin would never make Steve's manager short list.

People have often said that Steve would never appoint Colin because he wasn't a 'yes man' but I think that it was simply a case that he didn't like him or perhaps could never forgive the cheat reference? I don't think an owner has to be friends with their manager or even necessarily like them but they're never going to employ someone in that position if they dislike them.

I actually think that's a really good point, and often you find in a business people who are promoted are those who are known or friendly with those in charge, whilst the better man rarely gets the job for the opposite reasons. I personally think when you own a club, you shouldn't have a say on who the manager is, that's why you employ a recruitment team. If you don't trust the team to make the recruitment you want, why have a recruitment team in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Can't ever forgive him for that diabolical performance from Rotherham in 2016 where, from the dugout and in full view of the clueless officials, he encouraged his side to cheat, dive, feign head injuries, give out kicks and pushes off the ball and generally waste time in order to scrape at 0-0 draw.

It was not what anyone pays to see at football. It was anti-football. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Can't ever forgive him for that diabolical performance from Rotherham in 2016 where, from the dugout and in full view of the clueless officials, he encouraged his side to cheat, dive, feign head injuries, give out kicks and pushes off the ball and generally waste time in order to scrape at 0-0 draw.

Yep, that’s the big reason I didn’t want him here…even though I like / respect him (for 99% of stuff).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Whilst I agree it was diabolical, and Halford’s ‘head injury’ nearly made me commit an offence worthy of a sentence it was so bad, you have to admire what he did that year overall - kept them up when they were dead and buried including 11 unbeaten. An amazing achievement  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lenred said:

Whilst I agree it was diabolical, and Halford’s ‘head injury’ nearly made me commit an offence worthy of a sentence it was so bad, you have to admire what he did that year overall - kept them up when they were dead and buried including 11 unbeaten. An amazing achievement  

I admire it if he did that by getting them to play out of their skin, rather than cheat out of their skin.