IGNORED

Managers you like

Phileas Fogg

Who are the managers of other clubs that you like? Whether that’s their ability and/or personality.

I was thinking about this because I’ve really warmed to Jesse Marsch at Leeds. Seems like a very good man in clips and interviews I’ve seen on him.

I’ve also always liked Mourinho - great character. Klopp is another one, don’t always enjoy his complaining - but when things are going well for Liverpool it must be great fun to have him as a manager.

I also like those slightly madcap enigmatic managers like Bielsa and Sarri. 

Lastly Neil Warnock. I really recommend his book. If you see past the attention diverting panto villain stuff, you can see he’s a good guy. 

Who are yours?

• Like 1

Any slightly eccentric German with a statistical and system-based mindset and a mild-mannered voice. Preferably coming to our shores from relative obscurity, ideally as an assistant or first team coach of a Bundesliga 2 team. Daniel Farke is the epitome of this but you've also got Jurgen Klopp, David Wagner, Ralph Hassenhüttel* perhaps even Tommy Tuchel who fulfil some or all of those criteria.

*yes I know he is Austrian. 

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, DaveF said:

Always been a fan of Eddie Howe. Good manager and he looks like a Teddy bear.

He does now, my god he seems to have doubled in size since he joined Newcastle those deep fried mars bars and Parmo are doing him no favours :laugh:.

Edited by pillred
Punctuation.

I've always liked Tony Mowbray and has always been one last few vacancies I would have liked to see us try and tempt away from Blackburn at the time.

In terms of other leagues I don't think Marco Silva gets enough credit, seems to have done a good job everywhere other than a brief stint at Everton where nobody has succeeded! Also been really impressed with the approach and temperament of the new Brighton Manager, will be watching them with interest next 12 months as could still go either way when a lot of the work Potter did gets changed/adapted!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Any manager who doesn't take themselves too seriously would be good but then who can smile when under so much pressure on a losing streak?

I have great sympathy for managers who have been hammered in the media hence I am glad that Arteta and Ten Hag have got the media backtracking on their criticisms. Only for now though, I don't support those teams!

Cotteril was great fun I thought, seemed open and honest.

Loved the Harry Redknap interview technique, always looking left and right as though he was expecting to be mugged at any moment. Pearson does that too.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

Any manager who doesn't take themselves too seriously would be good but then who can smile when under so much pressure on a losing streak?

I have great sympathy for managers who have been hammered in the media hence I am glad that Arteta and Ten Hag have got the media backtracking on their criticisms. Only for now though, I don't support those teams!

Cotteril was great fun I thought, seemed open and honest.

Loved the Harry Redknap interview technique, always looking left and right as though he was expecting to be mugged at any moment. Pearson does that too.

I've met Pearson and he's exactly the same as he comes across in interviews. He's clearly tough, intelligent and gregarious. Works the room like an old school comedian or actor. 

I like that because it makes him authentic. He's clearly a bit marmite, but I can imagine he's great to play under provided you 100% buy into him and his philosophies. Absolutely not someone you'd want to get on the wrong side of though, as Marley Watkins found out. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ex-City of course so I’m sure many will feel the same, but I do really like Cotterill as a guy. He’s clearly mad as a fox, very intense and emotive - but he’s someone I’d really like to succeed.

Definitely this man. 

Quite like Mick McCarthy. Loved it when Ipswich fans hounded him out and then got relegated. Got what they deserved there. 

Mourinho too, even though he's perhaps not managed to evolve with the times tactically.

A lot of what he says at the time gets laughed at, but gets proven to be correct down the line. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Definitely this man. 

Quite like Mick McCarthy. Loved it when Ipswich fans hounded him out and then got relegated. Got what they deserved there. 

Mourinho too, even though he's perhaps not managed to evolve with the times tactically.

A lot of what he says at the time gets laughed at, but gets proven to be correct down the line. 

The Secret Footballer book is an interesting read on Cotterill at Portsmouth.

I think his emotive personality, and arguably a bit of insecurity, is a blessing and a curse. Like Pearson, must be great to play under when things are going well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Ex-City of course so I’m sure many will feel the same, but I do really like Cotterill as a guy. He’s clearly mad as a fox, very intense and emotive - but he’s someone I’d really like to succeed.

Genuinely nice bloke and was fortunate to have a brief chat with him a few years ago whilst queuing in Costa coffee

Passionate about football, still has a massive soft spot for us but felt hard done by and how it ended at City 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The Secret Footballer book is an interesting read on Cotterill at Portsmouth.

I think his emotive personality, and arguably a bit of insecurity, is a blessing and a curse. Like Pearson, must be great to play under when things are going well. 

Kitson certainly didn't like him.

Watched a couple of Undr the Cosh interviews with Clarke Carlisle & Wilbs - they absolutely loved him. 

Edited by Carey 6

47 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've met Pearson and he's exactly the same as he comes across in interviews. He's clearly tough, intelligent and gregarious. Works the room like an old school comedian or actor. 

I like that because it makes him authentic. He's clearly a bit marmite, but I can imagine he's great to play under provided you 100% buy into him and his philosophies. Absolutely not someone you'd want to get on the wrong side of though, as Marley Watkins found out. 

Can you be a "bit" marmite? I wouldn't say I was in the know like yer @kid in his riot van about these things, but surely marmite "doesn't work like that (mate)," does it?

I have only met one professional manager. Our sons played in the same cricket team, I won't say who because you will all know him. He was engaging and happy to talk about how tough managing is, in fact he told me his son would not be encouraged to go near any professional sport which was sad to hear and the reason I won't name him out of respect. I will say he was never a City manager but is fairly local.

The constant travelling, weeks away, pressure to succeed, media grilling. The highlight was the 90 or so minutes when, hopefully, you could enjoy just the game. This was at a time for him when he was successful!

Unfortunately he didn't have any time for fans and forums. His view was that the vast majority of opinions was based on rumour and conjecture which was completely untrue. He understood the passion and reason for forums but there were too many keyboard warriors for his liking. He said something like, you just have to be in it to know what it is like, you can't tell from the outside.

Quite sobering talking to him and probably why I do have sympathy for those in the spotlight.

I loved TC, game was different then but he seemed to be a very decent man. And not just because when I wrote to him about Paul Stevens wrangling over a new contract he wrote back saying (pretty much), "don't worry, I've got this." And responded with hand written letters of reassurance on embossed club note paper to other anxieties and naive nonsense I peppered him with.

I've still got some of his letters, I wonder of he kept mine?

Mourinho the outright winner for me. Full of charisma, character, and personality. Clearly a very intelligent and entertaining man too. On a footballing level, pretty much as good a manager as there's been IMO - incredible ability to set teams up and find solutions to win games/competitions.

Bristol City wise, Lee Johnson is the manager who I've warmed to the most on a personal level (perhaps controversial, I know!). He comes across as quite interesting/creative/quirky, as well as a fairly nice bloke in general. Not the best manager in the world, but also nowhere near as bad as some of our fans would have you believe.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Good one - until Newcastle I wasn’t sure I rated him that much but he’s proven me wrong. 

Despite the money they have, the expectation that comes with it would’ve made it a challenging 12 months.

Plus he has got a lot more out of certain players who were dismissed as flops- Joelinton and Alimiron two notable examples.