IGNORED

Managers you like

Phileas Fogg

Shoot me for it but I thought Darryl Clarke was excellent at Rovers and brought the best out of a team.

I always liked Paul Tisdale during his twelve years at Exeter as he was so consistently good at putting together a decent team on a low budget; his record post that time is poor but he's a manager who you need to give a lot of time and the modern game rarely allows that.

I would still love to see Neil Warnock given a go here and not straight into a relegation battle; this despite his age.

Or Sean Dyche - another entertaining character.

• Like 1

I think ex City Managers wise, I enjoyed our time with Gary Johnson, and I always wanted Lee to succeed. I liked Lee, he was happy to speak to the fans, cared about the club, and I think he is very intelligent. I like how he convinced good youngsters to come to City and I actually wouldn't be against having him back in some capacity in the future. I think he would be an excellent first team coach, or even manager of the U23/21. Without Ashton, I think he would have taken us up, and it's no surprise that the core of the team at Sunderland are all Johnson signings and developments, and they are up there. 

Outside of City, I think you have to admire Arsene Wenger for his longevity and consistency at Arsenal, and the invincible's is unlikely to ever be repeated. He overstayed, but I doubt there are many football fans who wouldn't say he was one of the greatest managers in the last 20 years.

I'm not a Klopp fan, I think he is smug, a poor loser and I'm delighted Liverpool are klipperty klopp flopping right now and its only a matter of time before he's sacked.

I always liked Warnock, good manager, winds up opposition fans and takes no prisoners. His record speaks for itself.

I would also agree with Eddie, Darryl Clarke done a very good job at Rovers, and I'm surprised he has never got a bigger gig. 

Finally although many hate him, I've always had a soft spot for Ian Holloway. I think he has a likeable personality and I think he gets underachieving players to believe in themselves. What he achieved at Blackpool, speaks for itself, and sometimes some managers just work for a club and it doesn't work elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ooh good thread.

NP obviously, Cotts too. Okay certain City bias there but met NP once, do like him. Cotts for the fantastic turnaround, seemed very passionate too- once sat near the dugout and noticed that intensity from closer quarters.

Think he should have been a bit more pragmatic in 2015-16 then he would have inherited the increased transfer and wage budget that came with the redevelopment being completed. The will to win, the ambition to process and progress- seize the moment all admirable.

Gary Johnson 1 game from PL from bottom of League One in 2 and a half years was quite a ride. Some fun Cup games too! (Coventry and Middlesbrough in 2006-07 FA Cup and Man City at home League Cup 2007-08).

Eclectic range really beyond that.

Paul Warne- Gets the very most out of his players, especially in a side that he has built and some of his earlier games at home v middling and lower sides were more attack minded than usual-- Rotherham certainly would be higher up the table if he was still there IMO.

Mark Robins- Inherited a shambles, decent football- SISU was one long shambles there...Plus the stadium issue, he's done very well in that environment.

Gareth Ainsworth, Wycombe had a strong of terrible decisions again at them in the Behind Closed Doors season, still almost kept them up. Great late run.

Claudio Ranieri- Always thought he was a bit of a character. Tinkerman all that, had never won a major title until Leicester which was a great story in itself but him winning it also quite good. A certain incumbent here laid some foundations of course but Ranieri himself arguably laid foundations at Chelsea, Valencia and maybe some others.

Bielsa, quite liked him. Some gt4st football, got s lot out of Leeds in a quickie 

Watch a bit of European foorball too. A few random ones.

Gasperini- Has done very good things at Atalanta on a budget, qualifying for the CL while selling best players and reinvesting and an attacking style of play is to be applauded. Had a strong Genoa side too but never saw it through- was swiftly sacked at Inter after a month or 2.

Briefly a very attack minded side, also matching or outstripping much richer Juventus over a 3 year period in the CL is impressive. Agnelli cited them as an example as to why 'big' clubs should get more protection in the CL. Very much greater than the sum of their parts under him, strong academy too.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/atalanta-not-worthy-champions-league-juventus-agnelli/15wtw13l1rrpx1a6g58i3efn70

Slightly random but same year Ranieri won the title here the guy who got Turkey to 3rd in WC 2002 won his 1st title. Generally got overlooked in Turkey somewhat so was nice to see Senol Gunes get a certain level of vindication, 2 titles at Besiktas after bad luck in title races at his home town club (Trabzonspor).

Luciano Spalletti- Believe he was a bit underrated, did some quite good things at Roma in two spells. Possibly harshly sacked at Inter,  now has Napoli in a very strong position in Serie A- doing well in CL too.

Bielsa- Very impressive turnaround at Leeds, they were 15th when he took over, spent some money yes but up until his final few months did very well there. Fairly unique style of play as well, did Well with Athletic Bilbao and Chile too but bombed in his biggest job of all- Argentina 2002. They were justifiably one of the top candidates that year.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

Always liked Neil Warnock . His teams were always hard to play against and I loved his passion for the game and the successes he had . Loved the antics/ street smart his teams had , never seen it at the gate and at times could’ve done with it . 
Not everyone’s cup of tea I grant you . 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

Always liked Arsene Wenger as a manager personally. I thought the way he kept Arsenal qualifying for Champions League Football for so many years given the budget he had was an immense achievement. 

City wise....Joe Jordan

He revolutionised football in this country and was ahead of his time in many ways.  I think he probably stayed too long at Arsenal in the end but interestingly as part of the financing arrangements for building the Emirates, there was a clause that Arsene Wenger had to stay as manager, as a sort of insurance policy, so he actually had added pressure on his shoulders and this was also a reason he stayed on.

46 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Eddie Howe has done fantastically. I really questioned whether he was the right appointment for them, but I think player-for-player he has them probably overachieving currently. To turn them around that quickly has been remarkable.

Only spending £210m in the process, an incredible achievement with such limited resources.

Been mentioned already but really like Mowbray, Robins & Warne.

As far as City go, Cooper & Jordan (first spell), GJ & Cotterill for me. Didn’t mind Millen but not a fan of McInnes, SOD, couldn’t warm to LJ & just thought Holden (nice bloke) was out of his depth.

Wilson was bland, never said anything worth hearing, Ward was successful at L1 with some pretty basic football, Coppell was weird & Pulis is the anti Christ.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, robinforlife2 said:

Finally although many hate him, I've always had a soft spot for Ian Holloway. I think he has a likeable personality and I think he gets underachieving players to believe in themselves. What he achieved at Blackpool, speaks for itself, and sometimes some managers just work for a club and it doesn't work elsewhere.

Indeed.

Though for obvious reasons, his many anti-City utterances, I would never want him to be manager here.

Based more upon whether they are annoying ***** or not ie, The nice guys:

Dean Holden

Darren Moore

Wade Elliott

Vincent Kompany

Paul Simpson

Paul Heckingbottom

Gareth Ainsworth

Joey Barton

:laugh:

and from the Prem:

probably Steve Cooper, Brendan Rodgers, and them I'm struggling.

Edited by AppyDAZE

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Shoot me for it but I thought Darryl Clarke was excellent at Rovers and brought the best out of a team.

The manager that took Rovers down into the Conference - good shout.

Blotted his copy book by taking them up again.

The dog-lover who couldn't resist the lure of spending time with Rovers.

Clough, Wenger, Bobby Robson, Vialli, Hoddle (Believe he would have got the best out of England's GG) are among my personal favourite non City managers ever.

At Championship level always been a fan of Tony Mowbray. Sides always play quite attractive football and a likeable bloke.

I sit quite near the away bench area and so was able to watch Carlos Corberan at fairly close quarters when we played WBA not long ago. He was incredibly animated and hugely energetic on the touchline, constantly on his feet, urging his players on and shouting instructions. He must have burned up an enormous amount of energy over the course of the game, so much so that I remember thinking he'd come off the pitch almost as knackered as the guys who actually played. He was totally involved and utterly committed. That level of intensity and enthusiasm must communicate itself to the players during the match. For that alone I have to say I was impressed, but they were failing and massively underperforming under Bruce and he's turned that around remarkably quickly. Got them playing some very good football, as we saw to our cost. I am pro-Pearson, so absolutely not wanting to see managerial change at AG, but if we were appointing and stood even the remotest chance of attracting someone like him, I have to say he'd do for me.

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That’s a very good point, AD is 43 years ago now, so I guess far from the OTIB demographic?

Yes and the glorious promotion was 47 years ago, even I’m struggling to remember.

Plus, I was just re reading the Ashton Gate 8 anniversary brochure we were given. It states the seeds of the financial collapse can be traced back to Alan Dicks handing out long contracts without any relegation clauses in.

A bit unfair as it wouldn’t have been his job to write up a contracts but maybe there’s a shadow over those final couple of years?

30 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Yes and the glorious promotion was 47 years ago, even I’m struggling to remember.

Plus, I was just re reading the Ashton Gate 8 anniversary brochure we were given. It states the seeds of the financial collapse can be traced back to Alan Dicks handing out long contracts without any relegation clauses in.

A bit unfair as it wouldn’t have been his job to write up a contracts but maybe there’s a shadow over those final couple of years?

That’s a lot of hindsight for me.

He lost Gary Collier through freedom of contract & understandably became anxious not to lose other stars the same way.

Someone (presumably the board at the time) signed this off, he didn’t have that autonomy.

• Like 1