IGNORED

A glass of red wine.......

Sir Leigh of Somerset

Called in to a pub today (The George at Longbridge Deverill) for a light pub lunch.

For drinks, i ordered a pint of ale for myself and a large glass of red wine for my better half.

At this point, i must say that the drinks were lovely and the food was excellent but.....

On receiving the bill, i was quite shocked to see that the large (250 ml) glass of red wine (Malbec) was priced at £11.50.

Of late, and during our all too rare forays in to the wonderful world of pubs, i've been paying £8.99 and even £9.99 for a large glass of half decent red wine but never more than that (£9.99).

Has anyone else paid this sort of sum (£11.50) recently and is this the shape of things to come or was i just unlucky with my choice of pub?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Called in to a pub today (The George at Longbridge Deverill) for a light pub lunch.

For drinks, i ordered a pint of ale for myself and a large glass of red wine for my better half.

At this point, i must say that the drinks were lovely and the food was excellent but.....

On receiving the bill, i was quite shocked to see that the large (250 ml) glass of red wine (Malbec) was priced at £11.50.

Of late, and during our all too rare forays in to the wonderful world of pubs, i've been paying £8.99 and even £9.99 for a large glass of half decent red wine but never more than that (£9.99).

Has anyone else paid this sort of sum (£11.50) recently and is this the shape of things to come or was i just unlucky with my choice of pub?

Shape of things to come regrettably

3 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Unlucky with choice of pub and being ripped off I would say, have a few friends that are into their red wine and drink in the centre of Bath, £7.50 to £9.50 they generally pay for a decent wine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Get her a mild and bitter in the future.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Has anyone else paid this sort of sum (£11.50) recently

Recently ? 
About 5/6 years ago went in the Pump House for a meal one evening. Hadn't been there for a while and it was just by chance. Getting drinks as Mrs found a table and I asked for a glass of White wine. I don't drink it so know nothing and the chap quietly said, "It is quite expensive". I just thought he considered me an oik, so I said don't worry as we were eating . Turned out to be £12 a glass, didn't realise until the bill turned up. 

• Thanks 1

• Admin

I work away a few nights every month, London being regular place amongst others, a couple of weeks back, stayed in a hotel I use regularly, but don’t really drink in.  One night, went out for a beer and a curry, got back to the hotel and just fancied a glass of red to round the evening off.  Nearly spat it across the bar when tasting, as the till showed £16, nothing special, just a house Malbec.

Was in the same hotel this week, a bottle of Malbec from the Sainsbury’s down the road purchased and stashed in room for nightcaps, bottle for less than a tenner.  I appreciate bars, pubs, hotels have to make a mark up, but £16 was taking the piss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I work away a few nights every month, London being regular place amongst others, a couple of weeks back, stayed in a hotel I use regularly, but don’t really drink in.  One night, went out for a beer and a curry, got back to the hotel and just fancied a glass of red to round the evening off.  Nearly spat it across the bar when tasting, as the till showed £16, nothing special, just a house Malbec.

Was in the same hotel this week, a bottle of Malbec from the Sainsbury’s down the road purchased and stashed in room for nightcaps, bottle for less than a tenner.  I appreciate bars, pubs, hotels have to make a mark up, but £16 was taking the piss.

£16!!!!!!!I can get six pints of Cheddar Valley for that and still have a quid left for the jukebox.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Have you tried any of Spoons wine?

Yep....on my chips! ???

In all seriousness prices on wines and spirits have gone through the roof.

Your often better off buying the whole bottle than by the glass if there are a couple of you.

In use a free App...vivino. You can take a photo of the label, and the App will tell you everything about the wine.

Chain pubs tend to buy wine that's approx £4 a bottle. The duty on it makes the wine worth pence in reality. 

I drink whisky..my local does a double single malt for £5. Glenlivet this week.

Pub down the road charged me £11 for a single shot of Talisker ?? safe to say I won't be going in there again.

16 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Been in that pub and it's quite expensive, albeit a pleasant hostelry.  Evening food is great.

I think a 250ml Malbec at my local is £6.50. 

The landlord has warned us all prices are on the verge of going up quite steeply. The brewery he gets his own label beer from is paying 6 times more for its barley and hops and 8 times more for its energy bills than it was a year ago.  Wine import costs have also risen steeply. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sir Leigh of Somerset said:

Yes. My friend paid £11.55 for a medium glass of white (something) in a bar in Worcester last May. Those kinds of prices are quite common these days, though I think it does depend on the establishment and of course the wine. I paid £6.50 for a medium white wine (can't remember what kind exactly) in the BFI on London's Southbank last summer. I made a note of the price after my friends horror of cost of wine in Worcester.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

The landlord has warned us all prices are on the verge of going up quite steeply. The brewery he gets his own label beer from is paying 6 times more for its barley and hops and 8 times more for its energy bills than it was a year ago.  Wine import costs have also risen steeply. 

Drinking in pubs is expensive now, not unique to the UK though. I was in Dublin a while back - 7 even 8 Euros for a pint of the black stuff

16 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Drinking in pubs is expensive now, not unique to the UK though. I was in Dublin a while back - 7 even 8 Euros for a pint of the black stuff

Dublin has been expensive for years. Yet the bars are always rammed. 

It's the overheads that are killing pubs. A mate of mine runs a boutique hotel/ bar. Approx £700 a week in electric. Nuts. 

I notice the Britannia is Nailsworth is shutting this week. Overheads again being the force to close.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

It was many years ago, probably early 2000s, that I was on a stag-night pub crawl that found itself at The Rake, a Thameside real ale bar.  It was my turn to pay, so I asked the barman what he recommended from the dozens of tipples available. Taking up his recommendation, I ordered 10 pints, but was horrified to find he'd recommended a £9 pint.

Thank ferk I wasn't paying from my own pocket, but I had to tell the lads that our £100 whip had gone in one round. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

My go to red wine is Primitivo. If anyone hasn't tried it, I can highly recommend. Some decent deals in Waitrose on theirs. Raffles fine wines in Nailsworth do some fantastic small vineyard Primitivo for around £12.

https://www.vivino.com/toplists/top-25-southern-italy-primitivo-wines-right-now-global

Something that doesn't happen very often. Woodchester valley vineyard near Nailsworth won the best Savvy Blanc in the world this year, in the £20-£30 category. Masters medal. It's rather yum.

The Orpheus Bacchus is also excellent. Worth a trip.

https://www.woodchestervalleyvineyard.co.uk/shop 

And if you like single malt whisky...I can't recommend this whisky enough. It's often reduced to £30. It's award winning and knocks socks off most Scottish Single malts in that price category. Everyone I've recommended it to, loves it.

Sold in Tesco and Waitrose.

https://www.cotswoldsdistillery.com/products/cotswolds-signature-single-malt-whisky

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Pub down the road charged me £11 for a single shot of Talisker ?? safe to say I won't be going in there again.

I've found that a lot of places charge over the odds for Talisker compared to others on the menu, no idea why.

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

And if you like single malt whisky...I can't recommend this whisky enough. It's often reduced to £30. It's award winning and knocks socks off most Scottish Single malts in that price category. Everyone I've recommended it to, loves it.

Sold in Tesco and Waitrose.

https://www.cotswoldsdistillery.com/products/cotswolds-signature-single-malt-whisky

I have this exact bottle on the go at the moment, as you say is very enjoyable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

I've found that a lot of places charge over the odds for Talisker compared to others on the menu, no idea why.

I have this exact bottle on the go at the moment, as you say is very enjoyable.

The story of the Cotswold whisky is something looking into. They got in an old chap from Scotland who'd been making whisky the traditional way all his life. Sadly past away now. Using non chilled filter method is so much better. You keep all the flavour...which is what you get with the Cotswold. 

I've done a lot of distillery tours in Scotland, the owners of the bigger ones have ruined them on many occasions. Often Japanese investment. As soon as they use chill filtered imo, it ruins the taste. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

It was many years ago, probably early 2000s, that I was on a stag-night pub crawl that found itself at The Rake, a Thameside real ale bar.  It was my turn to pay, so I asked the barman what he recommended from the dozens of tipples available. Taking up his recommendation, I ordered 10 pints, but was horrified to find he'd recommended a £9 pint.

Thank ferk I wasn't paying from my own pocket, but I had to tell the lads that our £100 whip had gone in one round. 

£9 for shandy?

• Haha 1

I definitely paid over a tenner for a glass of wine very recently, I must have tried to wipe the experience from my mind because I can’t remember where it was!

I think it might have been The Ostrich by the harbour side and to be fair, if it was that occasion, it was a large glass of delicious NZ Sauv blanc and the food and ambiance in the pub were excellent too.

And what is becoming increasingly rare in pubs nowadays was lovely and warm, so many pubs lately can’t seem to afford to put the heating on and are freezing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1