IGNORED

WBA at home fourth round of the FA Cup match thread

The fourth round of the FA Cup and we are up against WBA. The Baggies will be buoyed on by a bumper following of 3,414 supporters having sold all of their allocation.

Their preview: https://www.wba.co.uk/news/match-preview-bristol-city-v-albion-0

NP pre-match:

Sam Bell pre-match:

Which five EFL teams have names which include North, South, East or West in their title? Answer at the end of this post.

Their last visit to Ashton Gate, on Boxing Day, was our last defeat, we’ve managed four draws and two wins in all competitions since, as they recoded a 2-0 win with Matthew Phillips scoring in the 10th minute and then Brandon Thomas-Asante making sure of the points in the 75th minute, highlights:

In the last round they scored in the 93rd minute against Chesterfield in a six goal thriller to set up a replay:

A young mascot used the fourth round replay to pose a question of the owners (see photo.)  On the pitch Corberan’s Baggies continue to march up the table, they were 23rd in the league when he took over. Off it, long-held concerns within the fanbase regarding Albion’s finances and ownership are ongoing, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lai_Guochuan

In December they agreed a £20 million loan with US investment group MSD Holdings, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64111067

They have reached ten FA Cup finals and won the Cup on five occasions. The first win came in 1888, the year the league was founded, followed by wins in 1892, 1931, 1954 and most recently in 1968, the club's last major trophy, here are the1968 Cup final highlights:

The photo shows WBA players celebrating their FA Cup win in 1931.

We last met them in the FA Cup seven years ago when they were in the Premier League, drawing 2-2 at their place (they equalised in the 95th minute) in a game which saw Max O’Leary make his senior debut, highlights:

They won the replay 1-0:

Last Friday they lost 2-1 at Turf Moor, having scored first.

Our selection will be interesting, I’m guessing NP will stick with the same starting line up (minus those who’ve departed this week and Cam Pring who is suspended) as against Blackburn. If Kalas gets any pitch-time it will his first since the victory away over West Brom back in October having struggled with a groin issue. Will Nikita Haikin feature?

They will be boosted by the availability of Brandon Thomas-Asante, who has now served his three-match suspension and will almost certainly come into the side in place of Daryl Dike, who continues to be managed by Corberan and the club's medical staff. Their expected line up: https://www.westbromnews.co.uk/2023/01/26/west-brom-predicted-xi-vs-bristol-city-thomas-asante-returns-rogic-and-livermore-to-start/

Chris Brunt, who had a brief spell with us, playing 12 league and two cup games, was appointed to the role of Loans Manager last year, where he is working alongside first-team, recruitment and academy staff to nurture young players during their spells away from The Hawthorns. 

Let’s hope the City website (see photo) is not proved to be right!

The officials are referee Matthew Donohue. Who started his career as an official at the age of just 14, before he gained promotion to the EFL list of assistants in 2014. After successive promotions through the refereeing ranks, he was promoted to the National List of Referees prior to the 2018/19 season. Donohue refereed 39 matches during his first season on the EFL circuit and continued his impressive rise when he was appointed to the Select Group 2 list of officials in the summer of 2019. His first game in the EFL Championship was in August 2019, when he took charge of the Hull City’s 2-1 victory over Reading.

Assistants Richard Wild and Nigel Lugg. Fourth official Andy Woolmer

Answer:

Southampton

West Bromwich Albion

West Ham United

Northampton Town

Preston North End

B9CDED22-CC12-4D7F-B9D4-9405E7470EF1.jpeg

B5235137-137E-4F79-AF65-382B82723105.jpeg

6303600A-2820-4272-8702-752D7E4C5DA9.jpeg

6422CD61-F204-4552-8FBA-6230AB9D0672.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 4

Will be interesting to see how we line up , I'd be tempted to go 

MOL 

tanner vyner Atkinson Dasilva

Williams Naismith 

Sykes        Scott            Bell

Wells 

Edited by miketh2nd
11 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Will be interesting to see how we line up , I'd be tempted to go 

MOL 

tanner vyner Atkinson Dasilva

Williams Naismith 

Sykes        Scott            Bell

Wells 

I expect that will be it, but just have a stupid thought that Kalas comes in and Tanner switches to LB.

• Hmmm 2

Programme: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/keen-kane-in-the-robins-online-programme/

25 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Northampton Town

Preston North End

Southampton

West Bromwich Albion

West Ham United

North Ferriby United

Southport FC

West Bromwich Albion

Westfields FC

North Leigh FC

South Shields FC

West Auckland Town FC

Northwood FC

Southall FC

West Didsbury & Chorlton A.F.C.

MA well played, although you need to stick to the exam question and avoid repetition ? thankfully you didn’t ventured into Scotland! 

Programme: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/keen-kane-in-the-robins-online-programme/

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I expect that will be it, but just have a stupid thought that Kalas comes in and Tanner switches to LB.

Hope he sticks to 4 3 3 and does not  go fiddling again with formations as Semenyou  gone. Kalas to start ? Surely not the legs for 90 and would need positional changes when he goes off .

Or am I overthinking it 

Edited by Rocking Red Cyril
I type shit
5 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Hope he sticks to 4 3 3 and does not  go fiddling again with formations as Semenyou  gone. Kalas to start ? Surely not the legs for 90 and would need positional changes when he goes off .

Or am I overthinking it 

I reckon Bell gets a start in place of Antoine and we stick with the 4231/433 that we've seen in the last few games. Now Bell's not a pure like-for-like swap, but his pace is dangerous and he's shown with his performances and his goal v Swansea and the offside one v Blackburn that he's fully ready for first team football and starts.

From Pearson's press conference I think Kalas will be bench again.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Northampton Town

Preston North End

Southampton

West Bromwich Albion

West Ham United

North Ferriby United

Southport FC

West Bromwich Albion

Westfields FC

North Leigh FC

South Shields FC

West Auckland Town FC

Northwood FC

Southall FC

West Didsbury & Chorlton A.F.C.

If you’re including non EFL clubs, how about West Town Athletic in the Bristol Suburban league 

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Or am I overthinking it 

We will see over a period of games how important Antoine was to the 433, and to City as a team. Lots of little dynamics at play.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We will see over a period of games how important Antoine was to the 433, and to City as a team. Lots of little dynamics at play.

Yes as normal have to agree with Dave. How does NP see new combinations working ? How long for a replacement? Can we play 4 3 3 without Semenyou ? Yet it might all carry on the same. What the hell do I know ?

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes as normal have to agree with Dave. How does NP see new combinations working ? How long for a replacement? Can we play 4 3 3 without Semenyou ? Yet it might all carry on the same. What the hell do I know ?

About the same as me! ?

I can’t make tomorrow, kids got stuff arranged before I could put “fa cup tbc” in the home diary.  Hoping to catch a stream for most of it, in between pick-ups and drop-offs.

With Semenyo gone & Pring & Weimann unavailable the team pretty much picks itself & it is a good opportunity to give Sam Bell a start without the pressure of points at stake.

Bench will be interesting, we can have 9, but only named 7 against Swansea & I reckon we are struggling to have 6, aa well as the new keeper it will have a couple of very different faces on it I expect, probably Knight-Lebel will be one of them.

The one thing this game gives us is breathing space. Would be great to get through, but a game we were always going to be 2nd favourites at least it gives us time for us to find a replacement or two and Pring serves suspension in a game that isn't priority.
If it was a League game I might be concerned about lack of players, but it's unlikely we would win the Cup so .......

It's a good chance to give Kalas some minutes and give Bell his first start as a striker. Williams could do with a proper run out and a chance for Taylor-Clarke to have some more involvement . 

My prediction , we get a Pen in added time at 3-1 down .

• Like 2