IGNORED

WBA at home fourth round of the FA Cup match thread

1 hour ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

On the BBC highlights, watching Bell's runs again off the blind side of the defender were superb and what pace

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64438652

Most times I’ve seen him play in a wide position (ie not centre forward), he’s played right side.  It was good to watch the shape of his runs, really left Furlong in a bit of a quandary.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Can anyone tell me what formation we played yesterday? . Sky says 4231 with bell on the wing but that doesn’t seem right . 

For me, not that it’s too important, it was a mix of 4231 / 4123 / 4213 / 433, depending on how James / Naismith / Scott influenced the game or reacted to West Brom.

There was one passage of play where Atkinson got caught on the ball and West Brom had a chance.  We weren’t set to play out, following regaining possession from a West Brom counter.

image.thumb.jpeg.c3837a6b99048befe2fc0882fca02c3c.jpeg

It really wasn’t the time to pass to Atkinson was it?

I took this screenshot at the time because I could see how ragged we ragged we’d got, and how West Brom were in position to swarm us.

Dasilva in the middle, Scott as DM, James and Naismith not in position.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1
38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, not that it’s too important, it was a mix of 4231 / 4123 / 4213 / 433, depending on how James / Naismith / Scott influenced the game or reacted to West Brom.

There was one passage of play where Atkinson got caught on the ball and West Brom had a chance.  We weren’t set to play out, following regaining possession from a West Brom counter.

I took this screenshot at the time because I could see how ragged we ragged we’d got, and how West Brom were in position to swarm us.

It was also a bit of a slow pass to Atkinson.

Those sort of passes need to be crisp.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thanks

was Bell playing in the centre of the 3 with wells on the wing ?

Think we need to work more on the distribution from Max.

Atkinson has been identified by the opposition as a weak link and will operate a fast press targeting him. He’s got the turning circle of a supertanker, so any ball our goal side of him is a death wish.

He needs to be side on, closer to the keeper with space in front of him.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Think we need to work more on the distribution from Max.

Atkinson has been identified by the opposition as a weak link and will operate a fast press targeting him. He’s got the turning circle of a supertanker, so any ball our goal side of him is a death wish.

He needs to be side on, closer to the keeper with space in front of him.

The problem we have is to go long we only have small players up front against taller center backs.

Therefore if you can't go short due to the press, you have to try and hit players out by the touchline  which gives a very small margin of error.

Normally we have Pring who is good in the air, but missed that yesterday, so the only other option was Tanner or Skyes. A few times Tanner had good space around him when WBA were pressing high and max needed to dink it over the top to him, which would have made them  consider how they press.

So in fareness to max, its easier to look better when you are just launching up the middle, but still can always improve 

Agree poor ball to Atkinson 

Edited by sh1t_ref_again
Detail
  • Like 1
On 28/01/2023 at 20:40, ChippenhamRed said:

Just seen the highlights on the BBC Sport. The commentator described Bell’s first as “a wonderful hit from YOU KNOW WHO!!!”

….which might be the most bizarre way of describing a little-known youngster scoring his second senior goal I’ve ever heard! ?‍♂️

On 28/01/2023 at 20:45, Davefevs said:

Third senior goal ???

Unless I’m mistaken, Sam Bell has now scored three senior goals (for City), all of which were in the FA Cup - the winner against Swansea in the previous round and two yesterday.

If SB scored his first senior goal against Swansea then, by extension, his first goal yesterday was the second of the three goals he has now scored.

Ergo, @ChippenhamRed was correct.

57 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unless I’m mistaken, Sam Bell has now scored three senior goals (for City), all of which were in the FA Cup - the winner against Swansea in the previous round and two yesterday.

If SB scored his first senior goal against Swansea then, by extension, his first goal yesterday was the second of the three goals he has now scored.

Ergo, @ChippenhamRed was correct.

The bit I’ve highlighted in bold wasn’t mentioned in the post I replied to, hence I shared his first senior goal…on loan to Grimsby last season.  Hence his FA Cup goals are his 2nd, 3rd and 4th senior goals.

3 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

The problem we have is to go long we only have small players up front against taller center backs.

Therefore if you can't go short due to the press, you have to try and hit players out by the touchline  which gives a very small margin of error.

Normally we have Pring who is good in the air, but missed that yesterday, so the only other option was Tanner or Skyes. A few times Tanner had good space around him when WBA were pressing high and max needed to dink it over the top to him, which would have made them  consider how they press.

So in fareness to max, its easier to look better when you are just launching up the middle, but still can always improve 

Agree poor ball to Atkinson 

Interesting that Jason Euell appeared in the technical area immediately after the pass from Max playing Atkinson into trouble, indicating about kicking it long. There is a time and a place to play out from the back, and it’s not when it’s to an isolated defender with an attacker immediately on him in front of your own goal. The risk of giving away a goal in those circumstances is high.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The bit I’ve highlighted in bold wasn’t mentioned in the post I replied to, hence I shared his first senior goal…on loan to Grimsby last season.  Hence his FA Cup goals are his 2nd, 3rd and 4th senior goals.

Ah Yes, my apologies.

I had overlooked his short spell with Grimsby, accompanied I seem to recall by Riley Towler, recently of this Parish.

Probably clutching at straws, but I was tempted to question whether a goal in The National League qualifies as a senior goal, but, as it probably does, I shall bow out with as much grace as remains.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Ah Yes, my apologies.

I had overlooked his short spell with Grimsby, accompanied I seem to recall by Riley Towler, recently of this Parish.

Probably clutching at straws, but I was tempted to question whether a goal in The National League qualifies as a senior goal, but, as it probably does, I shall bow out with as much grace as remains.

No apologies required.  It was worth providing the tweet for his goal, because it was c’est magnifique!

8 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Ah Yes, my apologies.

As we have a small viewing population of Squatters, and they call the National League (Non League) Division 5, yes I'd say it qualifies. 

:gasmask:

5 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Not sure if it's been posted but this West Brom supporting father son combo do a nice away day blog which is a good watch: 

https://youtu.be/awWFKfN6JZk

Always do a good blog, got to laugh at the interview with the city fan, we just sold our best player and our 2nd best player Pring is not playing, doing a good job keeping Scott secret