IGNORED

Can't tell the time...

spudski

Made me laugh, in an ironic sad way...Betty Glover reporting on the Fulham game on BBC,  looking at the clock and can't grasp the time straight away ????

Seems to be a very common theme with the younger generation. Can't read a clock. 

Do they not teach this in schools anymore?

I had this problem when teaching kids in Canada...didn't think it would become common here ??

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, redsince1994 said:

Every generation struggles with technology that was obsolete before they were born ?

But it's not obsolete fellow red. Clock faces are everywhere...watches still a fashionable accessory, especially expensive ones...clock faces in towns, villages, homes and as in this case, Football grounds ?

I've found it really common. Happened to me only last week again, with a bar staff member... literally didn't have a clue how to read a clock.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

Made me laugh, in an ironic sad way...Betty Glover reporting on the Fulham game on BBC,  looking at the clock and can't grasp the time straight away ????

Seems to be a very common theme with the younger generation. Can't read a clock. 

Do they not teach this in schools anymore?

I had this problem when teaching kids in Canada...didn't think it would become common here ??

Did they ever teach it in schools,my parents taught me,I haven’t met a young lad who doesn’t know how to read a clock yet at work,I’m not saying there isn’t some but that is down to the feral parents 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Did they ever teach it in schools,my parents taught me,I haven’t met a young lad who doesn’t know how to read a clock yet at work,I’m not saying there isn’t some but that is down to the feral parents 

I'm not sure...that's why I'm asking. None of the parents of the kids I taught were feral. And the bar staff member is well educated and knowledgeable on other aspects. 

I was taught at primary school.

It was normal...and we did have digital watches being introduced when I was a kid. 

I just find it a more common experience...and when a BBC football pundit can't tell the time, I find that rather astonishing. 

Isn't it a generational thing though. In all honesty I can relate to the time by looking at a clock face rather than a digital readout, however I'm sure the opposite applies to the younger ones.

Here in France it can get even more complex when for instance 6:40 (twenty to seven) can also be referred to as 7 minus 20 !!

Edited by BigTone

7 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Isn't it a generational thing though. In all honesty I can relate to the time by looking at a clock face rather than a digital readout, however I'm sure the opposite applies to the younger ones.

Here in France it can get even more complex when for instance 6:40 (twenty to seven) can also be referred to as 7 minus 20 !!

3.35...used to be 5 and 20 to 4 when I was a kid ??

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm not sure...that's why I'm asking. None of the parents of the kids I taught were feral. And the bar staff member is well educated and knowledgeable on other aspects. 

I was taught at primary school.

It was normal...and we did have digital watches being introduced when I was a kid. 

I just find it a more common experience...and when a BBC football pundit can't tell the time, I find that rather astonishing. 

How do these people meet up then,half 12 is alien speak I’m guessing 

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

It was...when I told the kids to meet at a point after lunch, I'd say meet at 12..45. Or quarter to one. They'd look at me like I was an alien :laugh:

Americans (in New Jersey and California at least) don't use 'quarter past' or quarter to' at any point - doesn't matter what age, it completely baffles them. In New Jersey the clearly don't do 24 hr clocks either, people kept asking me why I was using military time and where I'd served. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BCFC Rich said:

Americans (in New Jersey and California at least) don't use 'quarter past' or quarter to' at any point - doesn't matter what age, it completely baffles them. In New Jersey the clearly don't do 24 hr clocks either, people kept asking me why I was using military time and where I'd served. 

******* Yanks and the “military time” thing cracks me up every time - and it’s very much not limited to New Jersey. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Does anybody wear a wrist watch anymore,I never have but remember my dad and the men growing up always did

I do. I can`t say I look at it too much but it doesn`t feel right not having one on. I even went six weeks before Christmas wearing one that didn`t work as I knew Mrs LR was getting me a new one as a present!

16 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Does anybody wear a wrist watch anymore,I never have but remember my dad and the men growing up always did

Loads do...even the young ens, as they are seen as a statement piece.

You've only got to look at a jewelers to still see ranks of watches.

The likes of Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc etc are still promoted,even to the young ens.

21 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Never been without one.

Had to use my reserve for a few days last week until I got a new battery for my usual one.

• Like 1