IGNORED

Can't tell the time...

spudski

1 minute ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Couldn’t agree more but the youth think names are everything 

I know a lad that spent a fortune on Stone Island. He doesn't even like football. I used to take the piss out of him and say he looked like a football hooligan.

I saw him this week wearing the same garb, but with the badge removed. I commented on it...he's met a girl, got engaged etc...he said ' yeah I know mate, I've grown up' made me smile. 

1 hour ago, redsince1994 said:

Every generation struggles with technology that was obsolete before they were born ?

Time is not an obsolete. The problem with digital clocks is the just tell you the time. People often don’t really want to know the actual time, they want to know how much time is left before a specific event - eg the end of the match. With a traditional clock you can glance at it and know, approximately, how much time is left. With a digital clock you’ve got to do a bit of simple mental arithmetic. This is beyond a lot of people 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I know a lad that spent a fortune on Stone Island. He doesn't even like football. I used to take the piss out of him and say he looked like a football hooligan.

I saw him this week wearing the same garb, but with the badge removed. I commented on it...he's met a girl, got engaged etc...he said ' yeah I know mate, I've grown up' made me smile. 

So instead of buying a decent top he just took the badge off,I know money is tight but Jesus 

1 hour ago, James54De said:

But that would still equal 365 days. Thus, the time would be exactly the same. 

1 hour ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

But the time would still be the same, just the wrong date.

Yep. I get your point, but …. It wouldn’t necessarily be exactly the same time. 
Seconds, minutes and hours are closely followed by days, weeks and months. They’re all part of the same concept. 
If our next match was to kick off at 3pm on 30th January, it would be incorrect. It would actually be the 15th hour on the 2nd day of the 11th month. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Seconds, minutes and hours are closely followed by days, weeks and months. They’re all part of the same concept. 
If our next match was to kick off at 3pm on 30th January, it would be incorrect. It would actually be the 15th hour on the 2nd day of the 11th month. 

Sorry, you have lost me Harry. Times and dates are different , no?

14 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Time is not an obsolete. The problem with digital clocks is the just tell you the time. People often don’t really want to know the actual time, they want to know how much time is left before a specific event - eg the end of the match. With a traditional clock you can glance at it and know, approximately, how much time is left. With a digital clock you’ve got to do a bit of simple mental arithmetic. This is beyond a lot of people 

Ummm, no? A digital clock directly tells you the time, then maths blabla. An analogue clock doesn't directly tell you the time, you work it out, and then you do mental arithmetic to work out how long left/whatever other reason.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

But all of those things are simply man-made markers used to describe and give context to the inexorable decay of the universe that we call time and the entropy that defines the direction of time's arrow. Assuming that the two times you describe are at the same point relative to now then the match would be happening at the same time, all that changes is whatever man-made method of description you use.

And that's all a clock does as well, it just describes time in a way that humans can perceive. And that is why it doesn't matter one jot if a person uses a digital, analogue, water or other type of clock so long as they can interpret time in a manner sufficient to take part in society.

2 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Ummm, no? A digital clock directly tells you the time, then maths blabla. An analogue clock doesn't directly tell you the time, you work it out, and then you do mental arithmetic to work out how long left/whatever other reason.

I suppose it all depends on one age and how you were taught

3 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

Sorry, you have lost me Harry. Times and dates are different , no?

Surely they are part of the same concept? 
Related to the amount of time it takes the moon to go round the earth, the earth to go round the sun etc. 

If we didn’t have days, weeks, months and years then we likely wouldn’t have hours, minutes and seconds. They’re all related. 

Anyway. As I said, I get your point. The ‘actual’ hour/minute of the day would be the same, but we are fooling ourselves if we think that’s an accurate reflection of our world, which should actually be based on 13 months of 28 days with April 1st as the ‘day of rest’. 

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

I suppose it all depends on one age and how you were taught

Either way, to see how late/early you are, you need to know the current time.

2 minutes ago, Taz said:

Wife's a teacher, trust me, they start learning (well should) how to tell the time in year 1/2. 

Sure we learnt in reception, would’ve been.. 1999, or 2000 (****, I'm getting old). Always got confused how some kids couldn't understand the simple concept. It's not like the teachers told us that each segment was equivalent to 5n, and when taking into account the entirety, it sums up to a total of sixty

Edited by Marcus Aurelius

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But all of those things are simply man-made markers used to describe and give context to the inexorable decay of the universe that we call time and the entropy that defines the direction of time's arrow. Assuming that the two times you describe are at the same point relative to now then the match would be happening at the same time, all that changes is whatever man-made method of description you use.

And that's all a clock does as well, it just describes time in a way that humans can perceive. And that is why it doesn't matter one jot if a person uses a digital, analogue, water or other type of clock so long as they can interpret time in a manner sufficient to take part in society.

Yes. If we live in the false world we do, then you are right. The man-made concept is irrelevant. 
That’s why the true concept of time isn’t man-made. It’s based on the proximity of the earth, moon and sun - which is definitely not man-made. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Made me laugh, in an ironic sad way...Betty Glover reporting on the Fulham game on BBC,  looking at the clock and can't grasp the time straight away ????

Seems to be a very common theme with the younger generation. Can't read a clock. 

Do they not teach this in schools anymore?

I had this problem when teaching kids in Canada...didn't think it would become common here ??

I saw that and laughed but I did like the enthusiasm she had for the game and her self deprecation.

Edited by Reigate Red

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Surely they are part of the same concept? 
Related to the amount of time it takes the moon to go round the earth, the earth to go round the sun etc. 

If we didn’t have days, weeks, months and years then we likely wouldn’t have hours, minutes and seconds. They’re all related. 

Anyway. As I said, I get your point. The ‘actual’ hour/minute of the day would be the same, but we are fooling ourselves if we think that’s an accurate reflection of our world, which should actually be based on 13 months of 28 days with April 1st as the ‘day of rest’. 

My head hurts 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

How on earth can you say that an analogue clock doesn’t directly tell you the time. This clock tells you the time, if you’ve learned how to tell the time. If something is due to happen at 10.15, a quick glass will tell you there is approx 5 minutes left. Unfortunately a lot of people haven’t learned how to tell the time 

376102F9-5D9F-4038-A067-A146C62D5490.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Either way, to see how late/early you are, you need to know the current time.

Sure we learnt in reception, would’ve been.. 1999, or 2000 (****, I'm getting old). Always got confused how some kids couldn't understand the simple concept. It's not like the teachers told us that each segment was equivalent to 5n, and when taking into account the entirety, it sums up to a total of sixty

Well think they might start looking at clocks earlier, as in 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock erc, but 10 past, quarter past etc starts 1/2.

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Yes. If we live in the false world we do, then you are right. The man-made concept is irrelevant. 
That’s why the true concept of time isn’t man-made. It’s based on the proximity of the earth, moon and sun - which is definitely not man-made. 

There's nothing false about time though, and time isn't tied to the moon, earth or sun. If any or all of those three celestial bodies ceased to exist then time would continue. It wouldn't continue for us, we'd all die, but time as a whole, as a facet of the universe, that would carry on. 

The lunar or solar calendar are just ways to describe time based on our interpretation from our observation point on this planet. Days, months and years are useful, but they don't define time in any way at all.

7 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

My head hurts 

I know. It’s the false nature of the world we’ve been taught. 
Why is December the 12th month? When everything else described with ‘DEC’ is numbered as 10?

The same with October. Oct is 8, not 10. Sept is 7, not 9. Nov is 9, not 11. etc etc. 

It’s the way it used to be. But somewhere along the line around 270 years ago we changed the calendar to the false one we operate under now. 

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

There's nothing false about time though, and time isn't tied to the moon, earth or sun. If any or all of those three celestial bodies ceased to exist then time would continue. It wouldn't continue for us, we'd all die, but time as a whole, as a facet of the universe, that would carry on. 

The lunar or solar calendar are just ways to describe time based on our interpretation from our observation point on this planet. Days, months and years are useful, but they don't define time in any way at all.

Of course. The actual ‘telling of the time’ is man made. But we currently interpret it incorrectly. 

19 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

How on earth can you say that an analogue clock doesn’t directly tell you the time. This clock tells you the time, if you’ve learned how to tell the time. If something is due to happen at 10.15, a quick glass will tell you there is approx 5 minutes left. Unfortunately a lot of people haven’t learned how to tell the time 

376102F9-5D9F-4038-A067-A146C62D5490.jpeg

Yes, of course, reading a clock is easy. But also, if you look at a digital clock and see 10:15, you know it's 10:15, how can that be harder?

An analogue clock doesn't actually tell you the exact time, you have to perform some basic calculations beforehand.

Edited by Marcus Aurelius