IGNORED

Massengo - Loan to Auxerre (Confirmed)

Davefevs

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, there is….under FIFA RSTP scheme.

Would compensation not be dependent on City offering a contract to the same value or better than present one?

I think it was more important to get him out as soon as it was apparent he wasn't going to sign, so feel this has been a good deal for all parties but think it was more about saving on wages rather than compensation at end of contract.

11 minutes ago, Ally1971 said:

Would compensation not be dependent on City offering a contract to the same value or better than present one?

I think it was more important to get him out as soon as it was apparent he wasn't going to sign, so feel this has been a good deal for all parties but think it was more about saving on wages rather than compensation at end of contract.

He was originally offered a contract around a year ago, give or take. I imagine it would have been enough to qualify for Compensation . He sat on it for some time, but as soon as it gets to January you know he's off. 

The rules going to a European team are different, I can't get my head around them to gauge how much we might get, but we won't get near the money we paid. 

• Like 1

@Ally1971 see @1960maaan’s reply above and caveat re contract…but seeing as Nige has mentioned us getting compo I can only assume we’ve offered him a deal at least equal to his current deal*.

Essentially we are talking somewhere around the €360k mark if he goes to the equivalent of a Cat1 club in France.

* current deal relates to wages.  As a simple example, say we paid him £1m signing on fee and £5k per week then as long as we’d offered him £5k per week on any new deal, we’d get compo.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

@Ally1971 see @1960maaan’s reply above and caveat re contract…but seeing as Nige has mentioned us getting compo I can only assume we’ve offered him a deal at least equal to his current deal*.

Essentially we are talking somewhere around the €360k mark if he goes to the equivalent of a Cat1 club in France.

* current deal relates to wages.  As a simple example, say we paid him £1m signing on fee and £5k per week then as long as we’d offered him £5k per week on any new deal, we’d get compo.

Cheers, I thought that would be the case but didn't consider signing on fee.  If I'm honest I just assumed his pre-covid wage would be in excess of what the new offer would be and City wouldn't be entitled to receive compensation. 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

He was originally offered a contract around a year ago, give or take. I imagine it would have been enough to qualify for Compensation . He sat on it for some time, but as soon as it gets to January you know he's off. 

The rules going to a European team are different, I can't get my head around them to gauge how much we might get, but we won't get near the money we paid. 

Thanks, tbh I always assumed he was offered a reduced contract to what he was on.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ally1971 said:

Thanks, tbh I always assumed he was offered a reduced contract to what he was on.  

Although he was a young prospect when he joined and would have been on ok money, I doubt it was near the higher earners, plus to try and protect their investment it would have had to be on a par , but probably higher as less is the same as offering a free . I imagine it was less than he hoped for, though it could have just been his agent whispering in his ear. 

• Like 1

On 26/02/2023 at 18:40, joe jordans teeth said:

Ligue 2 is literally lower league 2 mate apart from maybe the top 2 who would be top half,think you overrate French football 

Not sure I completely agree with that, think it's more likely in the middle.

I.e. Ligue 1 being down to mid Championship or Lower and Ligue 2 being Lower Champ down to upper League 2.

I don't think someone like Kodjia was League 1 standard. Equally Arnie Garita did decent at Plym in L2 and he was National level.

• Like 2

Strange player massengo. He started out as a prospect, always plenty of bite about him. At one point he would of been one of my first names on the team sheet but never really developed/kicked on. Began to lack confidence in the end and invited pressure with a sideways and backwards game. Ultimately lacked pace, height, strength, shooting/pass power and forward thinking play. Maybe he'll develop in the right team but if you look at the likes of semenyo, scott, pring, different gravy. Flattered to deceive and lesson learnt from the ashton era I suppose.  Doubt we'll be splashing the cash on any more lemons from monaco any time soon :D   

• Like 1

As he has seemingly got his confidence back - would NP give him a second look?

Very unlikely I know - but if his form did stay vastly improved upon his return - who knows?

There's a player in there for sure - and NP is all about redemption - as long as you do what's asked of you.

Of course Massengo would WANT to change - and there probably lies the nub of the whole question.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

Very unlikely I know - but if his form did stay vastly improved upon his return - who knows?

There's a player in there for sure - and NP is all about redemption - as long as you do what's asked of you.

Of course Massengo would WANT to change - and there probably lies the nub of the whole question.

I think you have completely misread the situation to be honest.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

If we had no intention of playing him, therfore not even in the shop window, shame we did not send Han out on loan earlier so may have had bids for him when we could have got a transfer fee.

He was playing/in the match day squad for every game bar one during August so when exactly do you propose we loaned him out? 

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

He was playing/in the match day squad for every game bar one during August so when exactly do you propose we loaned him out? 

Fair point, seems a long time he was frozen out, guess loan could only be arranged in that window.

I think it's a real shame as really like HNM, and he played in our best run of games earlier in the year. I would loved to have seen the Scott and Han midfield develop 

Guess we will never know if the contract offer was just not enough money for him to sign or seen his future development better away from city 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

If we had no intention of playing him, therfore not even in the shop window, shame we did not send Han out on loan earlier so may have had bids for him when we could have got a transfer fee.

He was part of the squad, given a chance while there was still a chance he might sign the contract offered. When it became totally clear he had no interest in staying, his place on the bench was taken by an Academy player that would be here next year, there were odd occasions when he was needed and he was in the squad. He could only be loaned out in Jan, which he was, it gets a wage off off the bill and gives him a shop window. 
Looking at the stats, they finally accepted he wasn't going to sign around October. Only made the Match day squad once since.
Apparently we turned down a decent offer 18 months ago, things don't always work out I guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Strange player massengo. He started out as a prospect, always plenty of bite about him. At one point he would have been one of my first names on the team sheet but never really developed/kicked on. Began to lack confidence in the end and invited pressure with a sideways and backwards game. Ultimately lacked pace, height, strength, shooting/pass power and forward thinking play. Maybe he'll develop in the right team but if you look at the likes of semenyo, scott, pring, different gravy. Flattered to deceive and lesson learnt from the ashton era I suppose.  Doubt we'll be splashing the cash on any more lemons from monaco any time soon :D   

I think it was more a case of horses for courses. The game plan, coupled with the formation we played for much of the past couple of years, just didn’t suit his game and didn’t play to his strengths. His job much of the time was to be part of a 2 sitting deep and getting the ball out wide. That’s not his game. From the little I’ve seen, Auxerre play a different style and formation, playing through the middle a lot more, playing him further forward, and in that formation his strengths are utilised - and actually you then do see a player with strength, pace and forward thinking. (And, incidentally, there seems to be a similar situation with Palmer and Coventry).

No-ones “fault” - it’s just how things work out sometimes. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I think it was more a case of horses for courses. The game plan, coupled with the formation we played for much of the past couple of years, just didn’t suit his game and didn’t play to his strengths. His job much of the time was to be part of a 2 sitting deep and getting the ball out wide. That’s not his game. From the little I’ve seen, Auxerre play a different style and formation, playing through the middle a lot more, playing him further forward, and in that formation his strengths are utilised - and actually you then do see a player with strength, pace and forward thinking. (And, incidentally, there seems to be a similar situation with Palmer and Coventry).

No-ones “fault” - it’s just how things work out sometimes. 

Yep, not a DM.  Played much of his early career as the left side of a diamond or tip for France age groups.

French media commenting on his physicality too.

As you said - it’s how it works out sometimes.

10 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

I agree, I think there is a player in there but maybe not suited to the Championship.

I am most certainly not ITK but I suspect a lack of game time and a desire to go back to France by him and his family are the key reasons he is going to move on.

The value of the contract may have played a part but, and I am no expert on French football finances,I doubt he will be getting much bigger offers from any French club that take a fancy to him.

Shame it hasn’t worked out for both parties, I wish him all the best.

• Like 1