IGNORED

How many points will we finish on?

Jerseybean

On 02/02/2023 at 19:53, And Its Smith said:

Extrapolate our current points across the whole season and we finish on 54 points.   Take our form over the last 5 games and apply to the rest of the season we finish on 55 points.  If we could get between 58-60 points that would mean we would achieved around 1.4 points per game from here on in, which is 67 points across a whole season.   59 points for the season from here is a reasonable expectation which would give strong hope going into next season 

Well played 59 it was! 

• Thanks 1

15 points from relegation. 

32 points from Promotion. 

Still a long way to go. 

This season was their for the taking, more so than others. 

I feel Sheff Utd must feel they've lucked out. Everything fell in place. 

For us...it didn't. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Still a long way to go. 

For us...it didn't. 

Wow.  What a negative post. Given the overhaul of the team and what he has had to work with I think Nige and the team have done a really superb job, especially where we were around Christmas time.  Also bringing on young players and nurturing complete gems that have and will earn us a lot of money which has been imperative given our financial position.   I’m looking forward to next season with a lot of optimism.  

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

Still a long way to go. 

For us...it didn't. 

Technically we were potentially 10 points from promotion as a side made the playoffs with 69.

To get automatic promotion as a non parachute payment club is almost impossible.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Wow.  What a negative post. Given the overhaul of the team and what he has had to work with I think Nige and the team have done a really superb job, especially where we were around Christmas time.  Also bringing on young players and nurturing complete gems that have and will earn us a lot of money which has been imperative given our financial position.   I’m looking forward to next season with a lot of optimism.  

And only 10 points from a chance of promotion vs 15 points above definite relegation. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lenred said:

Not negative at all. It's facts. 

I think we've done fantastic this year. 

I've loved every minute of it. 

Just pointing out that if things had fallen into place and a bit of luck, we, and others could have been Sheff Utd. Apart from Burnley...there wasn't much difference with a lot of teams. Sheff Utd had the dream season imo. 

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Technically we were potentially 10 points from promotion as a side made the playoffs with 69.

To get automatic promotion as a non parachute payment club is almost impossible.

I agree...however imo, it's a negative in moving forward, if ' progress' long term is considered 6th. You have to aim top 2. If you aim for 6th, you'll likely fall short. Aim for top 2...you may end up in the play off lottery. 

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I agree...however imo, it's a negative in moving forward, if ' progress' long term is considered 6th. You have to aim top 2. If you aim for 6th, you'll likely fall short. Aim for top 2...you may end up in the play off lottery. 

Just think it’s realistic.

Can’t remember the last time a side got automatic promotion that didn’t have parachute payments.

Aiming for 2nd is lovely but completely misguided, in my view.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Can’t remember the last time a side got automatic promotion that didn’t have parachute payments.

Put it this way...

Blackburn finished on 69 points...the same as 6th place. They missed out on GD. 

We scored more than them, and only conceded 2 more than them. 

We lost the same amount of games. 

That's how close it is to 6th. 

Aiming for the play offs is imo the worst thing you can do. 

48 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Brentford, then Leeds the season before.

53 minutes ago, spudski said:

Put it this way...

Blackburn finished on 69 points...the same as 6th place. They missed out on GD. 

We scored more than them, and only conceded 2 more than them. 

We lost the same amount of games. 

That's how close it is to 6th. 

Aiming for the play offs is imo the worst thing you can do. 

Blackburn are a poor example and are far from a team to emulate.. They're in a completely false position this season. Thank god they didn't get into the playoffs, would have been a complete injustice.

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Blackburn are a poor example and are far from a team to emulate.. They're in a completely false position this season. Thank god they didn't get into the playoffs, would have been a complete injustice.

That's my point. 

I'm saying we aren't far off Blackburn. 

In your own words...' far from a team to emulate'...yet they made the play offs. 

It would be seen as a good season if we had emulated. 

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

That's my point. 

I'm saying we aren't far off Blackburn. 

In your own words...' far from a team to emulate'...yet they made the play offs. 

It would be seen as a good season if we had emulated. 

Incorrectly seen as a good season. It would be a lucky season that papered over cracks in the foundations. 

They finished 7th.

Edited by ExiledAjax

2 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

No they didn’t.

Correct..7th...same points. GD.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Incorrectly seen as a good season. It would be a lucky season that papered over cracks in the foundations. 

They finished 7th.

Yes my error...as I pointed out I'm my original post, missed out on GD. 

Massively missing my point though.

To be considered potential promotion candidates we need to aim for top 2. 

If we had done a ' Blackburn'...it would given us a false idea of where we are at. That's my point about play off places...it gives a false bench mark. The play off place teams aren't far off us...mid table. It gives false hope points wise.