IGNORED

Preston North End away match thread

We have 18 Championship games remaining…..so 54 points to be won (see the separate thread ‘How many points will we finish on?’)

PNE and us were promoted from League One in the same season back in 2015 and have had similar trajectories since, both coming close to play-off places without ever cracking the top six, with a few disappointing and lower placed finishes thrown in too over the recent seasons.

Deepdale, the home of Preston North End, is widely recognised as being the oldest 'continuously used' football stadium in the world, though this is contested.

The land on which the stadium stands was originally Deepdale Farm. It was leased on 21 January 1875 by the town's North End sports club and originally used for cricket and rugby. It hosted its first association football match on 5 October 1878.

It’s 181 miles away from Ashton Gate so well done to the 600 or so tremendous traveling faithful.

Last weekend they faced Spurs in the FA cup, a case of the Lilywhites v the Lilywhites, that too finished 3-0.

League wise they are currently on 40 points and 11th.

Ryan Lowe is their manager. He joined from Plymouth Argyle, a club he guided to promotion from League Two to League One in the 2019/20 season, that was the second promotion on his managerial CV, having previously led Bury FC into League One.

We last faced them on a Wednesday night back in October when we won 2-1 thanks to Rob Atkinson's second-half double which propelled City to their first win in six games, https://fb.watch/g7DYnVcEye/

Officials, ref Leigh Doughty, https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/big-interview-freckleton-based-referee-leigh-doughty-his-rise-ranks-championship-official-2960148

He will be assisted by Adam Crysell and Greg Read. Fourth official Ollie Yates.

NP pre-match:

Matty (numerous) James pre-match:

Head to head we have won 28, drawn 34 and lost 34 the last time we won at their place was February 2011.

Here’s their match preview: https://www.pnefc.net/news/2023/february/match-preview-bristol-city-h/

On deadline day they signed midfielder Josh Onomah on a short-term deal until the end of the season after his release by Premier League side Fulham earlier on Tuesday. The 25-year-old made 76 appearances for the Cottagers after joining the club from Tottenham Hotspur in 2019.

The butter pie is legendary in Preston. This beloved Lancashirian delicacy consists of onions, potatoes and of course, butter – baked until golden with a thick pastry crust. This savoury pie is a half-time favourite at Preston North End Football Club, and was even mentioned in former-Beatle Paul McCartney’s 1971 song ‘Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey’.

If you want a pie try this: https://www.lancs.live/whats-on/food-drink-news/visited-preston-search-best-butter-23312864

Preston piffle

The UK's first motorway - the Lancashire stretch of the M6 - was previously the Preston bypass. The first traffic cones were used in the construction of the Preston bypass in 1958, they replaced red lantern paraffin burners.

Butch Cassidy (of Sundance Kid fame) had parents from Preston and reportedly grew up with a Lancashire accent.

The Bash Street Kids in the Beano were based on the artist's memories of growing up in Preston. Born in Whittle-le-Woods, Leo Baxendale took his first job at Lancashire Evening Post, drawing adverts and cartoons before beginning his work on the Beano.

Tallest church spire in UK. St Walburge's Church designed by Joseph Hansom of Hansom Cab fame and which has, at 94 metres, the tallest spire in England on a church that is not a cathedral.

Birthplace of Freddie Flintoff and John Inman.

UK's first KFC was in Preston which opened in 1965.

Preston (the main antagonist of the 1995 short film A Close Shave) is named after Preston, which is where Nick Park comes from.

Preston has the boasting rights to being the first provincial town in England to have it's streets lit by gas.

Notable ex-players include Bill Shankley and Josh Brownhill.

It is the city where the teetotalism movement was born! In 1833, Joseph Livesey founded The Preston Temperance Society, and soon afterwards the word ‘teetotal’ was born.

The longest continuous row of the old red public telephone boxes anywhere in the country are in Preston's Market Street.

The first Mormon baptisms outside North America took place at the River Ribble in Preston.They were held on July 30, 1837, where nine individuals were baptised in the river, in the presence of a crowd of around 8,000 onlookers.

No team in England had played more league games than Preston. They passed the 5,000 mark last year. Also PNE v Burnley is the most played fixture in the EFL.

Pubs

The Station Telephone: 01772 737164

The Station is located in the heart of Preston, directly opposite Preston Train Station. With Preston North End just a 10 minute drive away, the Station is the perfect place to welcome away football fans as soon as they step off the train, before heading to the game. The pub is also a popular place to grab a quick pint before getting back on the train post-match.

The Station has loyalty pricing just for football fans which is accessible by simply showing your football ticket to the bar staff. The pub also has live entertainment on every Friday and Saturday as well as a large selection of draught, bottled beer, cask and craft ales, wines and spirits.

Moor Park Sports and Social Club Telephone: 01772 717709

Moor Park Sports & Social Club (formerly Fulwood Conservative Club) is based on Blackpool Road, Preston. The postcode is PR2 3AE, but for your Sat Nav use PR1 6AD.

The club is close to motorway junctions for the M6 and M55 and just 10 minutes easy walk to Preston’s Deepdale Stadium. A warm welcome awaits visiting supporters both before and after matches with a spacious car park at a minimal charge.

The bar stocks a very good selection of beers, wines and spirits at competitive prices. The club has a separate function room, 2 large bowling greens, 2 match-standard snooker tables and a pool table

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2
5 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

So who do we start against preston??

we cant change the team who played west brom can we?

Well we could, whether we do or not time will tell.

We have 4 players available to us that weren’t then, Pring, Weimann & the 2 signings we made in the week. Only Kadji of that enlarged squad isn’t, because he’s now on loan to Swindon.

I think Pring will come back in for JD, whether Weimann or Cornick starts seems less likely (though my hunch is one of them will), Mehmeti will be a sub, I expect.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Well we could, whether we do or not time will tell.

We have 4 players available to us that weren’t then, Pring, Weimann & the 2 signings we made in the week. Only Kadji of that enlarged squad isn’t, because he’s now on loan to Swindon.

I think Pring will come back in for JD, whether Weimann or Cornick starts seems less likely (though my hunch is one of them will), Mehmeti will be a sub, I expect.

Would of thought same as best WBA. Pring for Dasilva to start. 

• Like 2

I'm genuinely quite excited, and I don't think it's often that I feel like that about Preston North End away. I think it's because the vibes are generally pretty good at the moment, and I've got that post-transfer deadline day glow.

Pearson's press conference suggested that we might see all 3 new signings in the 18, and given the number of U23s we've been seeing recently I think that's correct.

Kalas may return, unlikely to start but may get some minutes. That's a good boost to squad depth, as is the fact that Weimann's back training.

Ultimately I hope to see some minutes from Mehmeti and/or Cornick and a decent away win!

• Like 7

Good Evening all , ProudPreston29 here coming in peace from PNE friendly forum https://pebbleleague.com/

Just a quick welcome to our forum to all "Robins" fans and our match thread https://pebbleleague.com/thread/9609/pne-bristol-city-4-22

Notice you have  a great match thread up already of which i will post a link to in ours , also you mention a few pubs. Its worth checking out the away day beer and food link in the thread which takes in some of the best pubs in Preston. (our local police dont allocate specific away pubs)

Away day pub guide https://pebbleleague.com/thread/9597/match-day-beer-food

Please feel free to sign up and join in the debate :) 

Get the feeling the author may have visited our forum before

Edited by Proudpreston29
  • Like 15
5 minutes ago, Proudpreston29 said:

Good Evening all , ProudPreston29 here coming in peace from PNE friendly forum https://pebbleleague.com/

Just a quick welcome to our forum to all "Robins" fans and our match thread https://pebbleleague.com/thread/9609/pne-bristol-city-4-22

Notice you have  a great match thread up already of which i will post a link to in ours , also you mention a few pubs. Its worth checking out the away day beer and food link in the thread which takes in some of the best pubs in Preston. (our local police dont allocate specific away pubs)

Away day pub guide https://pebbleleague.com/thread/9597/match-day-beer-food

Please feel free to sign up and join in the debate :) 

Get the feeling the author may have visited our forum before

Always interested to read the views of other fans, but this forum unlike most others, you have to register just to view, which I could not be bothered doing

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Proudpreston29 said:

think you can view as a guest like i originally did here before i signed up to post :) 

Welcome. Sorry to say I've never been to Deepdale and am not going this time. I have however been for a pint in The Old Vic next to the station before and after a game over at Blackburn Rovers. Hopefully I'll get there one day.

You support a fine old club that I have a slight soft spot for (unless Johnson is winning dodgy penalties against us). If I had the power to select the promoted sides at the start of the season it would be our two clubs plus another.

I hope you lose tomorrow.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I have however been for a pint in The Old Vic next to the station before and after a game over at Blackburn Rovers. Hopefully I'll get there one day.

I think that pub is actually near the hotel I'm staying at, as is the train station.
I walked past it earlier as I was looking for some Thatchers to drink in my hotel room during my stay...

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 3
1 hour ago, Proudpreston29 said:

think you can view as a guest like i originally did here before i signed up to post :) 

Thanks for your post. I remember seeing your legendary plumber in an FA Cup tie at our miserable neighbours around 1956/8.

Even though the pitch was a mudheap, Tom Finney's skill with the ball was a delight to see. Our player John Atyeo played with him for England. Nowadays one can watch innumerable matches on TV but then we, as schoolboys, had to have parents who could find the cash for entry and a determination on my part to get off my backside to go to the matches.

I've only been to Deepdale twice. First time when you had the artificial pitch, 1-1 I think, and a miserable performance a week after we'd gained promotion at Burnley in 1998. Your fans sang "You're shit and you'll come straight back down" We did!

Enjoy the match. I have a good feeling that we get a win.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see the WBA line up with Pring in for DaSilva but Bell going in the right, Wells in the middle and Mehmeti on the left. Bell is in form as is good at running at players from a wide position, Wells will give 100% whilst on and Mehmeti can run at players too, having Bell and Mehmeti run those outside positions would certainly give us threat right across the width of the pitch. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

Strange but a win today will mean we stay just where we are 17th, even stranger a loss could also very likely mean we stay in 17th as well,

as Brum, Rotherham and Stoke facing tricky games......noticed also WBA who we trashed moved up to 5th with a win v Coventry.

So its time to forget the cup and get some points in the bag, but with our seemingly bogey team to face it wont be easy, come on young guns lets have them

4 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Going to be a real interesting game today, and a real yard stick to see if we really have turned the corner . 

Oddly I’m led here in bed and half tempted to get up, jump in the car and head up there ?

Mehmeti and Bell to score for us with a 0-2 away win. Especially after the transfer work and signings earlier this week. There must be a massive Buzz within the club which has flowed on to the posters on OTIB.

Expect to see Pring back in for Dasilva. I could also see Cornick start for one of Sykes, Bell or Wells.

Kalas, Weimann and Mehmeti on the bench would be a very welcome trio of options for later in the game.

Overall it's a tough game to call as I think all three results are equally likely. Hopefully we can nick the win with a bit of fortune.