IGNORED

Nigel Pearson - the sanest manager in English football?

southvillekiddy

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

We certainly are fortunate to have Nige at the helm. He really is a proper manager and dare I say it is heading to the top of my favourite City manager list of the last 30 years. He and Danny Wilson in the top two and maybe it’s not a coincidence that they were teammates at Sheffield Wednesday…………..:dunno:

Really?

Edited by AshtonGreat
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I was a Pearson outer but I am slowly coming around...for now.

However, some of these OTT love ins for him with no acceptance of any errors are nauseating and a little disturbing.

If this one isn't a p*ss take then it actually says more about your personality than his.

Think it says more about you that you haven’t grasped what he’s done behind the scenes to steer the titanic away from the icebergs 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

As bonkers as it was, the throat grab on McArthur wasn’t quite the incident it was played up as. Both Nige and McArthur said it was ‘light-hearted’ at the time, though I’m unsure if tunes have changed on one side (or the other) since it was reported on. 

I’d argue that getting into a spat with Lineker was more of a stain on Nige’s character, whatever the provocation.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/nigel-pearson-escapes-fa-charge-over-james-mcarthur-throat-grab-as-dispute-with-match-of-the-day-presenter-gary-lineker-rages-on-10036061.html?amp

19 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I was a Pearson outer but I am slowly coming around...for now.

However, some of these OTT love ins for him with no acceptance of any errors are nauseating and a little disturbing.

If this one isn't a p*ss take then it actually says more about your personality than his.

Check out the balance of notifications on my original post. Hmmm ........................................

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Check out the balance of notifications on my original post. Hmmm ........................................

I wouldn't worry about it mate. A self confessed "Pearson outer".

Obviously has / had no understanding of the task facing NP over the last 2 years, and obviously happy to sack managers at the drop of hat, when when we've not a pot to piss in, and paying him and his staff off would have cost more money.

You are right. We are lucky to have him.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Huge fan, wish we had made this type of appointment more often in the past.

My thoughts in a nutshell.

It's hard to think of many occasions SL can be credited with making an outstanding managerial appointment, but in the situation we were in Nige was exactly that imo.

Our great good fortune that Nige was available at a stage in his career where he relished the huge challenge the City job presented.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Daniro said:

I agree he talks very good sense but, boy, does his voice sound boring!   

Subjective of course, but he doesn't bore me at all, voice or content.

Quite the opposite, and that's quite a feat with the extensive interviews he is expected to do every week.

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It's clearly an attempt to wind up those who would pick out GJ as their fave. 

But to take the point at face value, he's right up there for me with GJ and Cotts. They both had success, but what I liked about them is they both seemed to get what was needed and how to go about it in the situations we faced. 

Likeable, knowledgeable and interesting. 

Yes you may be right. For me, Pearson shouldn’t be spoken of in the same sentence as those other two until we start to see consistent onfield results.

20 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I know others aren’t a fan but I just think he’s the right bloke at the right time.

He’s been around football long enough now to be philosophical about the lack of resources (never heard him once moan about it), he probably sees this as his last role in the game & even though he’s still occasionally a little bit spiky in press conferences, think he’s probably past the “ostrich” phase & far less likely to strangle an opposition player than in his younger days…

As his been pointed out, he’s cliche free, does (like all of us) of course have his regular turn of phrases but attempts to explain in a way that enlightens the listener.

Huge fan, wish we had made this type of appointment more often in the past.

Agreed. 
Honesty, integrity, respect and a will to give young players a chance. Sometimes his honesty is not what you want to hear, but better honesty than the bullshit from Johnson and Ashton days. Still can’t believe we have him managing City.
The club is going in the right direction.

Edited by fisherrich

3 hours ago, glynriley said:

I wouldn't worry about it mate. A self confessed "Pearson outer".

Obviously has / had no understanding of the task facing NP over the last 2 years, and obviously happy to sack managers at the drop of hat, when when we've not a pot to piss in, and paying him and his staff off would have cost more money.

You are right. We are lucky to have him.

appreciate that mate. SK.

3 hours ago, Percy Pig said:

It's clearly an attempt to wind up those who would pick out GJ as their fave. 

But to take the point at face value, he's right up there for me with GJ and Cotts. They both had success, but what I liked about them is they both seemed to get what was needed and how to go about it in the situations we faced. 

Likeable, knowledgeable and interesting. 

What is extraordinary is the effect that use of the Internet can have on people in IMHO. Through it's use It seems that Top Robin and now Percy Pig have acquired the power to look into the souls of complete strangers. (and then in the former's case to insult them gratuitously) How can you possibly believe I was trying to wind up fans of GJ? How is it clear that that was what I was intending? As a GJ lover why would I want to wind myself up?

However I totally agree with your second sentence. I loved Gary and the profile he gave to BCFC culminating in almost achieving the Promised Land. Unfortunately it led to SLs nepotism in appointing LJ. Look where that got us financially. Totally baffled at how SL treated SC. Horrible.

And then SL finally let go enough to appoint someone who has been there and done it. I thought we would never get a manager of Pearson's quality under SL. Just too much interference in football matters from our owner.

Halleluah for Nigel.

Edited by southvillekiddy

Very difficult to come into a club you don’t know and in financial trouble to say nothing of players who taking an inflated wage and giving very little in return.  NP laid his rules down and selected the team wherever possible on that basis, often by giving youngsters a chance.

He now has a team singing from the same song sheet as himself, and getting the players in to play his ‘system’.

NP is slowly but very surely getting us there

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

You've got the wrong end of the stick, Kiddy!! 

My post was referencing Robbored, who we all know has a long standing obsession with GJ. 

As you'll see from my other response on this thread, I am in total agreement with you on Nige. 

Wasn't clear but okay, glad we are together regarding Nigel. Best . SK

PS. Waste of time bothering with Robbored, massive attention-seeker. I've blocked him.

Edited by southvillekiddy
  • Haha 1

You've got the wrong end of the stick, Kiddy!! 

My post was referencing Robbored, who we all know has a long standing obsession with GJ. 

As you'll see from my other response on this thread, I am in total agreement with you on Nige. 

I don’t have an obsession with GJ at all - here are a few facts.

I got very little joy or buzz of watching the dreary and drab football that he served up. He was also very unprofessional by throwing players under the bus, trying to trip up an opposing player celebrating a goal and brawling with his own players……ffs…….…:disapointed2se:

Compare the way Nige conducts himself and GJ who said nothing constructive and then laughed at his own jokes.