IGNORED

Pearson Out

DaveInSA

25 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'm happy to say I've never wanted him out. (That's not to say I'm never wrong, I stuck with Johnson when in hindsight it was clear the rot had set in!)

I've met him whilst he's been manager and it was absolutely clear he had a great long term vision.

That included a scenario where we lost one or both of Scott and Semenyo. I jokingly told him not to let the pair of them leave, to which he replied "if they leave, we'll replace them and the level up the team". This was a last season, and that seems to have finally come to fruition now as Mehmeti looks a brilliant talent and adding Cornick will prove very shrewd I think. Assuming both have ultimately been funded by Semenyo - overall the squad does look stronger. I trust him to do the same with Scott if/when he leaves for big money in the summer.

He may have come to us at exactly the right time - he needed to have a degree of autonomy that he wouldn't have had under Ashton. I doubt he'd have joined if Ashton was still here. It's clear he has a strong working relationship with Gould and Tinnion.

I think actually, at this stage of his managerial career, he may enjoy the challenge of it. He's spent a fair amount of time at clubs with big resources for their relative level (namely Leicester in the Championship) and this represents a totally different kind of challenge. I bet he's relishing all the success he's enjoying with our academy.

I think Ashton was here when NP joined.

1 hour ago, E.J.Thribb said:

I’ve always backed him until the Boxing Day shitshow v WBA, when I felt he’d lost the dressing room. Since then he’s made me eat my words, and for that he deserves the axe ??

You weren't the only one I fully expected to see a statement saying he'd gone by the time I got home (an hour after the final whistle).

But I had a feeling he'd get it right and well look at us now. Eight unbeaten, defending relatively well. Attacking well even without Semenyo and is using the academy well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

After an unbeaten run in January. And a win up at Deepdale against the shitehousing Preston. This, together with an unremarkable transfer window means that I believe it’s time for Pearson to step down.  

We’re starting to look too good and are defending well as a unit, while at the same time scoring freely.

He’s taken us as far as he can and I think it’s time we got a hungry young manager in to take over.

Clickbait 

2 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Nigel Pearson joined 23 Feb 2021, and Ashton gave notice the weekend before it was announced officially on 13 April 2022. And it wasn't effective until 31 May 2021.

Ashton was allegedly put on gardening leave well before his official leaving announcement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The thing about the West Brom home game, yes it was poor and we were well beaten in the end. It felt to some like the final straw for a range of reasons...poor conversion rate at home especially (1 goal, 47 shots), 1 home win since the end of August, King in the back 3 despite his two errors etc v Stoke.

There is a bit of revisionism Hoever because first half we really were not that bad. We gave West Brom a good game in the first half- Palmer made two major interventions and Phillips hit his own bar at 1-0 not long after putting them ahead. If thst goes in perhaps the dynamic changes, crowd suddenly get a lift and it's a different game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The thing about the West Brom home game, yes it was poor and we were well beaten in the end. It felt to some like the final straw for a range of reasons...poor conversion rate at home especially (1 goal, 47 shots), 1 home win since the end of August, King in the back 3 despite his two errors etc v Stoke.

There is a bit of revisionism Hoever because first half we really were not that bad. We gave West Brom a good game in the first half- Palmer made two major interventions and Phillips hit his own bar at 1-0 not long after putting them ahead. If thst goes in perhaps the dynamic changes, crowd suddenly get a lift and it's a different game.

What you've just explained is that it was perfectly rational to be worried, and perfectly rational to not be worried. Why people have to scoff, I don't know.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

What you've just explained is that it was perfectly rational to be worried, and perfectly rational to not be worried. Why people have to scoff, I don't know.

That's fair. Yeah would be lying if I said I had no concerns but always deep down felt that if we continued putting in okay performances at home, that an improvement of some kind would come. Arguments with this  subject can be polarised though for sure in both sides.

23 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Still don’t understand why Nige was so set on the 352 For so long. So much better as expected.

Because until recently we haven't had the players to play a back4 and 352 better suited those available. 

Tanner has taken time to find his feet at Champ level and also been injured. Ditto Pring. Ditto Atkinson. Wilson has been injured. Kalas injured. Dasilva's height a is liability in a back4. And anyone who says they were confident enough - at the start of the season - to play Vyner in a back4 is having us on. 

So the pieces haven't fallen into place until recently - Tanner now fit and up to speed, Vyner a revelation, Atkinson bang at it, Pring fit and in form. No-one would have picked that as a defence at the start of the season. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 5
  • Flames 2

29 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

Been saying it for months Dave. He's a dinosaur.

We were 2-0 up today and then Max made that howler. If Pearson was any good those sorts of errors would be ironed out by now. 

Now 's the time. 

??

This is so true. Winds me up no end when you get certain posters think a manager , any manager can eradicate individual errors . Absolute clowns .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Because until recently we haven't had players to play a back4..

Tanner has taken time to find his feet at Champ level and also been injured. Ditto Pring. Ditto Atkinson. Wilson has been injured. Kalas injured. Dasilva's height a liability in a back4. And anyone who says they were confident enough - at the start of the season - to play Vyner in a back4 is having us on. 

So the pieces haven't fallen into place until recently. 

Thanks for saving me typing this.

Some will still want to say “if he’d done this all along”… when we didn’t have the personnel to do so.

• Like 6

Just now, Redtucks said:

.....or securing a promotion ala Gary Johnson!

Ignore him, he’s either deluded or trying to wind us up (or both).

Wilson had an amazing win ratio, which he maintained by bottling promotion 4 times & so kept on beating the likes of Stockport & Wycombe, achieving absolutely nothing in the process.

Woop de ******* do.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Because until recently we haven't had the players to play a back4 and 352 better suited those available. 

Tanner has taken time to find his feet at Champ level and also been injured. Ditto Pring. Ditto Atkinson. Wilson has been injured. Kalas injured. Dasilva's height a is liability in a back4. And anyone who says they were confident enough - at the start of the season - to play Vyner in a back4 is having us on. 

So the pieces haven't fallen into place until recently - Tanner now fit and up to speed, Vyner a revelation, Atkinson bang at it, Pring fit and in form. No-one would have picked that as a defence at the start of the season. 

We didn’t have the players to play 352 either.