IGNORED

Pearson Out

DaveInSA

19 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Because until recently we haven't had the players to play a back4 and 352 better suited those available. 

Tanner has taken time to find his feet at Champ level and also been injured. Ditto Pring. Ditto Atkinson. Wilson has been injured. Kalas injured. Dasilva's height a is liability in a back4. And anyone who says they were confident enough - at the start of the season - to play Vyner in a back4 is having us on. 

So the pieces haven't fallen into place until recently - Tanner now fit and up to speed, Vyner a revelation, Atkinson bang at it, Pring fit and in form. No-one would have picked that as a defence at the start of the season. 

No. Individually though I've always thought they could all be good players but the chances of them all being up to it and this happening almost simultaneously were negligible.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This is the benefit of recruiting a manager with a proven calibre and experience. It buys time a younger coach would never have had - both with the fans and the board.

The discontent was growing but never reached a point of no return. It would have done much sooner with a less respected name. Now we are starting to reap the benefits.

Intriguing to see what he will do in the summer and next season if Scott goes for mega money and Pearson gets to spend it…

I honestly think a big part of Pearson still being here is quite literally the fact they had no clue who they would have bought in to replace him 

Where as things have moved slowly on the pitch , one thing is evident is that Pearson has took charge of a lot more then just the first team. He seems to be trying to shape the whole club 

I can remember an interview with him in the radio years ago. And he spoke about he would only take jobs of owners trusted him fully and gave him full autonomy 

I really hope we have started to turn the corner. I’ve said before - I don’t expect to 6, I just want to see something on the pitch that resembles progression. 

It’s only 8 games but without a doubt this is the best spell Pearson has had at the club. Long may it continue 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I honestly think a big part of Pearson still being here is quite literally the fact they had no clue who they would have bought in to replace him 

Where as things have moved slowly on the pitch , one thing is evident is that Pearson has took charge of a lot more then just the first team. He seems to be trying to shape the whole club 

I can remember an interview with him in the radio years ago. And he spoke about he would only take jobs of owners trusted him fully and gave him full autonomy 

I really hope we have started to turn the corner. I’ve said before - I don’t expect to 6, I just want to see something on the pitch that resembles progression. 

It’s only 8 games but without a doubt this is the best spell Pearson has had at the club. Long may it continue 

Its the senior management who looks after the purse strings. We have been unable to splash out in the transfer market so have to rely on home grown with a few tweaks here and there. Its also the Directors role to find available talent and negotiate. Its NP who should work with the director in the final choice. So its not only down to NP. For NP to work within that negative (in the millions) budget I think he has done well that can only help to grow the club. Lets face it, GJ and LJ were spenders.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nige is a proper manager. He’s rapidly catching up with Danny Wilson in my favourite list of City managers of the last 30 years.

Pearson won’t be fit to lace Wilson’s boots until he spanks all our money up the wall, lets all the players get trollied and ultimately fails on the pitch. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Nige is a proper manager. He’s rapidly catching up with Danny Wilson in my favourite list of City managers of the last 30 years.

You spoil the first sentence with the second.

I'll bet that while Pearson likes a drink, he doesn't allow his squad to go boozing as Wilson's squad did. Wilson was one of our worst because for a bit of discipline, he could have achieved so much.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

I think it was right with the players available at the time. Atkinson’s return was a big factor in changing shape

Think it was lots of things, even Conway getting injured (who’d formed a potent front TWO with Wells), Antoine coming back into form and being able to play in a role next to Wells but also kinda left forward too, etc.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I stand corrected - sorry @Northern Red.

How come all I remember is Steve Lansdown claiming to have pleaded with MA to stay. I guess I got the wool pulled over my eyes.

…and that pissed me off. He kinda made us fans look like idiots for dare questioning the role “Mark” had played.  Even said (paraphrased) the “fans were wrong in their view of him”…to save face for himself and his son.

56 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

…and that’s why people like me cut him some slack on the pitch, where had we only made a modicum of individual mistakes (rather than lots), fans might’ve seen progress (slow admittedly) as results would’ve been better.

1 hour ago, Vidal said:

We didn’t have the players to play 352 either.

It’s a fair response…but they had familiarity with it, and had proved earlier in the season that with key players fit it could get results.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think it was lots of things, even Conway getting injured (who’d formed a potent front TWO with Wells), Antoine coming back into form and being able to play in a role next to Wells but also kinda left forward too, etc.

…and that pissed me off. He kinda made us fans look like idiots for dare questioning the role “Mark” had played.  Even said (paraphrased) the “fans were wrong in their view of him”…to save face for himself and his son.

…and that’s why people like me cut him some slack on the pitch, where had we only made a modicum of individual mistakes (rather than lots), fans might’ve seen progress (slow admittedly) as results would’ve been better.

It’s a fair response…but they had familiarity with it, and had proved earlier in the season that with key players fit it could get results.

When Nige was asked if a switch to 4-3-3 helped the players, his answer was "possibly..." 

He mentioned the other factors too but didn't dismiss the suggestion. 

46 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

We want our club back!

Thing is, City struggling in the Second tier, sitting about 17th - 19th, heavily in debt losing money hand over fist, crowds slipping away, disgruntled fans questioning the manager and board, people moaning, boo boys singling out struggling individual players and getting on their backs, a cup run from nowhere, people leaving the Dolman early - that is our club. That's Bristol City.

Competent, professional non-bullshit staff running the club, unbeaten in January, sensible grown up transfer window, kids we produced ourselves scoring at this level, hosting the Champions of England, cheerful optimistic fans -  who tf is this? It's not "our club" and it'll do. You can keep "our* club," don't want that back ....

*see first paragraph

• Like 2

On what should be a great day for this our club, this thread and posts in it seem intent on taking the p out of fellow fans, who were concerned about our situation just a few weeks ago.

Put a right downer on what hopefully is a turning point for this our club, I told you so na, na na nah.

Seems I was wrong about NP I hang my head down and bow to some of our superfans on here

7 minutes ago, gl2 said:

On what should be a great day for this our club, this thread and posts in it seem intent on taking the p out of fellow fans, who were concerned about our situation just a few weeks ago.

Put a right downer on what hopefully is a turning point for this our club, I told you so na, na na nah.

Seems I was wrong about NP I hang my head down and bow to some of our superfans on here

Yes there are signs of improvement but this season is far from being over yet and until it is, we may want to hold back on our worshipping of Pearson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, gl2 said:

Pub shut?

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Pub shut?

Yeah shame, quite a few are now, most are turned into restaurants that serve food.:dunno:

Oh wait I think you think I`ve been to the pub, no I only go out for a meal, pubs are so old hat now.

10 hours ago, gl2 said:

For me the season so far has simply reinforced the lesson that we should not judge our success, or that of the manager, solely on results.

When results were bad in the autumn the underlying numbers and performance indicators suggested that we weren't actually that awful. Likewise right now they suggest that we aren't actually that good.

Truth is we're a competent, competitive side who with a bit of good or bad luck get wins or losses respectively. This last month we've played well but bar West Brom in the cup we've not really blown anyone away, likewise before Christmas there were only a couple of games where we really didn't turn up. We weren't relegation candidates in the autumn, and we're not promotion candidates now.

As I've said elsewhere across many posts Pearson (and his team) has undoubtedly and provably improved us over the last two years. We are so, so, so much better than we were for those 6 months under Holden. However, in my opinion Pearson won't ever get us promoted.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3

So, apart from an unbeaten January, moving away from the relegation zone, winning at Preston Shithouse End, getting to the 5th round of the cup, giving our academy players a chance, making us look a decent team,  clearing out deadwood and reducing and he wage bill all despite inheriting an absolute shambles

Just what has Pearson ever done for us!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

if he wasnt here,we would be -12 points and by my reckoning,rock bottom and going down

Certainly a possibility. We will never know of course but NP, along with Tins and Gould have done ridiculously well to turn around the beyond desperate financial situation by managing the squad ins and outs, whilst keeping the team above the red line.   Of course we are nowhere near the end of the season and anything can happen, so I won’t be celebrating staying up just yet, but hopefully we will be able to pull away and cement mid table. 

I’ve really enjoyed the ride so far with NP and his team and have been really really pleased with the fortitude this group - on and off the pitch - have shown, and am looking forward to the next chapters with real excitement.

• Like 6

I look at the job Nige is doing and can see similarities with the job dear old Terry Cooper did. Blending youngsters with some wise old heads. Terry bringing Tom Ritchie back was a master stroke. 

Nige has done similar with James and King. Trusted lieutenants who have helped develop the culture. 

Despite all the talk of playoffs, we’re still a couple of bad results from looking over our shoulders again. But sown seeds are starting to flower and the squad is improving with every window. 

Let’s finish this season in the top half and roll on the next. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1