IGNORED

Man City - no, not tickets, but dodgy stuff…as if!!!

Davefevs

One of the PLs pized assets. I can't see anything too impacting happening to them.  The footballing powers that be will want to protect the cash cow Premier League and vast sums of money it and teams like Man City attract.

Fine at most in my opinon + i bet this will take years to get through the legal process and various challenges and appeals that it'll be old news by the time the slap on the wrist is given.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Cc @Bristol Rob

Serie A had the courage to punish their own biggest club domestically with relegation which they took some time to recover from and have docked them 15 pts so I'd say little excuse for the PL not to punish Man City severely if proven.

The EPL won't have the balls to do it. Real Madrid and Barca are a phone call away from a Super League but KNOW they need English clubs in there to make it work. If one was handed to them on a silver platter away we go....................... 

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

True, although they would apply whatever the punishment anyway. The EPL know that if they go too far the Owners of Man City will be straight on the phone to the larger Spanish and Italian clubs who are absolutely desperate for a European Super League and some Yank in West London will suddenly ditch his idea for North v South and won't be far behind....................

Bring it on…give us back our domestic game.

• Like 10
  • Robin 2

2 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

It teaches Man City a lesson but then starts a Super League in Europe. For the EPL that's like being a turkey and voting for Christmas.

I personally don't think a super league would ever be successful. 

In the past maybe, but not now.

Yes, sponsorship, media, TV rights etc.

But the supporters of those teams wouldn't want it. The players, although being paid high amounts, would get fed up of the fakeness of it all. And the over riding element that would stop it, would be the Climate/ Green debate.

You can't ask the general public to not drive their car across town, yet have clubs flying from nation to nation for a new super league and ask them to support that. 

Yes we have Champions League and world cup...however I can't see a new format being set up that goes against all the climate debate which is so en vogue right now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

But the supporters of those teams wouldn't want it. The players, although being paid high amounts, would get fed up of the fakeness of it all. And the over riding element that would stop it, would be the Climate/ Green debate.

You can't ask the general public to not drive their car across town, yet have clubs flying from nation to nation for a new super league and ask them to support that. 

Yes we have Champions League and world cup...however I can't see a new format being set up that goes against all the climate debate which is so en vogue right now. 

It would end up like some weird franchise exhibition league. 
Even if it was successful, just let them get on with it and the rest of the league can get on with theirs 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

See below - it may not be appealable to CAS .

They have an in-house team of about 8 lawyers anyway. Plus they will no doubt hire the same barristers and Freshfields who helped them last time. However, the PL obviously have a little bit of cash to send the lawyers' way as well.

First appeal would be to an "Appeal Board". Rule W.79 says that "Subject to the provisions of Section X of these Rules (Arbitration), the decision of an Appeal Board shall be final.". I've not got time to dig through Section X and through the Arbitration Act 1996 to which it refers, but a skim read shows that they are trying pretty hard to make sure decisions are final and a re not appealable to CAS.

Good lawyers can go a long way - but there is only so much you can do in face of a mountain of evidence. And, as someone said, the Premier League are not without financial resources themselves.

From that charge list, Man City are in very serious trouble. Also appears they might have lied in their representations to CAS that enabled them to escape the most serious punishments in the previous UEFA case. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If these allegations have merit, then this is by orders of magnitude way worse than what Swindon did - and they were demoted two divisions (albeit reduced to one on appeal).

I s’pose though the logic was their dodgy dealings helped them climb the league ladder as they went from Div Four to One (or would’ve) in something like five years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

I know we're going off on a tangent that might be annoying, but...  I think it would work. There would be fan protests at every club which eventually would die out and the glitz, glamour and wealth of the new format would bring all the best players and a new global audience. 

I was extremely heartened by the humiliating u-turn from the scab clubs last time, but if one or two of the English clubs were backed in a corner, and had that narrative to justify the move, it might just work a second time round.

24 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The EPL won't have the balls to do it. Real Madrid and Barca are a phone call away from a Super League but KNOW they need English clubs in there to make it work. If one was handed to them on a silver platter away we go....................... 

Not sure about this take. I think more likely, if Man City did that, they would take zero proper fans with them and there would be yet another Manchester phoenix club.

The super league needs English clubs because they bring English fans and the people that came up with the idea seem to have absolutely no understanding of what English fans want and the centrality of the pyramid. If it were as simple as you make out, BT Sport would be some money making machine the second they got the UCL rights. Not exactly worked out like that. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, spudski said:

Oh I agree with what you say completely.

Corruption and taking advantage of situations in football has been going on for ages. Since the very start.

I just to try and see the bigger picture...as to what can be done to stop it. Tbh...I don't think there is a definite answer.

Football at the very top has so much influence these days. The people involved...big power hitters. It's pure business and Politics in some cases. You've only got to look at Juve and Milan in Italy to see that in a glaringly obvious way for many years.

It's very much a catch 22. 

We love our football...yet we support the sport knowing it's corrupt.

In the same way we know the Government system is corrupt, and in some cases large businesses corrupt.

Until systems change, and the public refuse to go along with it, it will never change.

It's never ending corruption. 

From a human perspective, I find it very odd that we accept these circumstances, often buy into them, knowing full well it's corrupt, discuss it when it's brought to light ( even though we know it goes on) condemning it...yet celebrate if our team, party or shares come in as winners. 

It's nuts when you think about it.

There’s usually something similar in any sport where you have to turn a blind eye to something to allow you to enjoy it at the highest level at least.

I love watching professional cycling. I know the history of the sport wi the regard to doping. I’m sure there are athletes doping and/or manipulating the rules to their advantage but I still love to watch it and just have to not think about it otherwise the joy goes. Same goes here in football.

6 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

If these allegations have merit, then this is by orders of magnitude way worse than what Swindon did - and they were demoted two divisions (albeit reduced to one on appeal).

I s’pose though the logic was their dodgy dealings helped them climb the league ladder as they went from Div Four to One (or would’ve) in something like five years.

I don't think its even in question - at least it shouldn't be - that if these charges are stood up then, in among fines and bans and title strippings, there will be at least one relegation, possibly more. 

Odds on Haaland being first person ever to score 100 goals in a League Two season?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

I don't think its even in question - at least it shouldn't be - that if these charges are stood up then, in among fines and bans and title strippings, there will be at least one relegation, possibly more. 

Odds on Haaland being first person ever to score 100 goals in a League Two season?

They better not get relegated to League One - I couldn’t bloody stomach GasGoMarchingIn predicting the 25,000 fans the Gash will take to the Etihad…

2 hours ago, Keep the Faith said:

There’s usually something similar in any sport where you have to turn a blind eye to something to allow you to enjoy it at the highest level at least.

I love watching professional cycling. I know the history of the sport wi the regard to doping. I’m sure there are athletes doping and/or manipulating the rules to their advantage but I still love to watch it and just have to not think about it otherwise the joy goes. Same goes here in football.

You are right...there's an argument for letting anything go.

For everyone that's caught, I'm sure there are many that aren't. So for those competing clean it's a lose, lose situation.

The same with footy...I'd personally get rid of transfer windows and FFP. Invest as much as you want. There's enough idiots out there to fund it 

3 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

that if these charges are stood up then, in among fines and bans and title strippings, there will be at least one relegation, possibly more. 

2012 a precedent was set; albeit in Scotland. On 1 June 2012, after four months in administration, a failure to reach a CVA agreement with creditors led to The Rangers Football Club plc (since renamed RFC 2012 plc)[ entering the process of liquidation. The administrators completed a sale of the business and assets to a new company, Sevco Scotland Ltd (which later renamed itself The Rangers Football Club Ltd), though most first-team players refused to transfer across. The new company failed to secure the transfer of Rangers' previous place in the Scottish Premier League, but were later accepted into the Scottish Football League. Rangers were awarded associate membership and placed in the lowest division, the Third, rather than the First Division as the SPL and SFA had sought. The transfer of Rangers' SFA membership was agreed by the SFA upon acceptance of a number of conditions, including a one-year transfer ban, in time for the club to begin the 2012–13 season.

15 minutes ago, 22A said:

2012 a precedent was set; albeit in Scotland. On 1 June 2012, after four months in administration, a failure to reach a CVA agreement with creditors led to The Rangers Football Club plc (since renamed RFC 2012 plc)[ entering the process of liquidation. The administrators completed a sale of the business and assets to a new company, Sevco Scotland Ltd (which later renamed itself The Rangers Football Club Ltd), though most first-team players refused to transfer across. The new company failed to secure the transfer of Rangers' previous place in the Scottish Premier League, but were later accepted into the Scottish Football League. Rangers were awarded associate membership and placed in the lowest division, the Third, rather than the First Division as the SPL and SFA had sought. The transfer of Rangers' SFA membership was agreed by the SFA upon acceptance of a number of conditions, including a one-year transfer ban, in time for the club to begin the 2012–13 season.

Is that a precedent though? Different facts, different regulations and rules, different jurisdiction, Scotland even has a different legal system beyond the particular regs of the SPL/PL. I might be wrong but I'd be very surprised if the Rangers decision or sanctions are binding or even persuasive precedent for the Commission to consider. PL lawyers might refer to it if they dare to suggest possible sanctions to the Commission, but probably only in passing.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

The players would not get fed up with the fakeness of it all.  They're happy to play in the fake 'Champions League' aren't they?  At least calling it Super league is more factual.  It will probably be super.  It currently only has about a 3rd of its entrants who can claim to be Champions.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

The players would not get fed up with the fakeness of it all.  They're happy to play in the fake 'Champions League' aren't they?  At least calling it Super league is more factual.  It will probably be super.  It currently only has about a 3rd of its entrants who can claim to be Champions.

And there are an awful lot of genuine champions of their country that don`t get anywhere near it.

1 minute ago, The Bard said:

Yes...happy to play Champions League, but then they go back to real football.

Super league would divide opinion... it'll be like the LIV tour in golf. 

Fans also want to support home and away. 

Flight prices, hotel prices would all go up on match day. 

It's not sustainable imo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes...happy to play Champions League, but then they go back to real football.

Super league would divide opinion... it'll be like the LIV tour in golf. 

Fans also want to support home and away. 

Flight prices, hotel prices would all go up on match day. 

It's not sustainable imo

Why don't they just cut the pretence and just insist that the names of teams reflect who owns them?

Abu Dhabi City and Tampa Bay United?

AFC mate of Putin.  Leveraged to the max FC.  Pension Fund Rangers.   Shadowy Chinese Albion.  Powerful Agent Wanderers.

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, The Bard said:

but they play in their domestic leagues too?

Hopefully Man City will be charged with spunking £100 million on Jack Grealish.

If that isn't a crime against all known rules of logic and decency in football then I dont know what is. 

It makes MA's previous suggestion that permanently signing Diony could be the biggest transfer fee in BCFC history look entirely sensible.