IGNORED

The Big Match - City v Liverpool 73/74

Tinmans Love Child

21 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I remember being a bit disappointed at this game, whereas in the previous round against Leeds we gave them lots of problems there was great expectation against Liverpool but they had done their homework on us and we didn't really get a sniff in this one. Nevertheless a great achievement to get to the 6th round.

With the passage of time , lack of available coverage and the fact that some teams aren't quite as big as they were, some cup shocks get forgotten about a bit. City beating Leeds was absolutely massive at the time.

2 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

It used to bother me that London Weekend Television (I think they were called) were biased to their local teams but looking back Brian Moore seemed to balance that out with his commentary.

I know what you mean but it was supposed to be biased towards local teams. That was regional ITV in our day. Every region could choose to produce or buy in. ITV today is so much different to the 60s, 70s and even 80s version.

Midlands had their own version called Star Soccer (Hugh Johns - he was the 1966 World Cup Final commentator. His description of that final Geoff Hurst goal was good....but no way as memorable as Kenneth Wolstenholme's classic).  The Granada franchise had Kick Off Match (Manchester/Liverpool - Gerald Sinstadt). Anglia and HTV sometimes showed their own version.

I agree totally with your Brian Moore summary. I always thought he was the best and just pipping David Coleman for the title. 

Regarding that 4th goal and alternative commentator versions  this is funny.

My first ever City game,10 years old my big brother Steve who sadly passed recently bought me a ticket, met him at Castle Park, had my first can of beer, Youngers Tartan, I was just to the left of the East End goal as you look from pitchside, bitter disappointment but the buzz stayed with me and started attending regularly home and away the following season, including train travel, all paid for by my brother, miss him and miss those exciting days

• Robin 1