IGNORED

The Big Match - City v Liverpool 73/74

Tinmans Love Child

https://youtu.be/zNl_lMb2AFc

it's funny what the old algorithms chuck out every now and again!  This was 4 years before I was born this footage but still very familiar sites and sounds from when I first went to AG in the late 80's, I miss seeing the trees in the park behind the open end, and that tiny tunnel where the players run out!  The crowd looks huge!  Enjoy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It was definitely sardines in the open end, probably the biggest crowd I was ever in at AG, around a thousand more than to see v Leeds in the previous round. 38k I think?

That Liverpool goal was all luck for them, a couple of rebounds that fell at their feet then pundit Malcolm Allison says it was intentional!! Total cr4p.

Should have won it, with Merrick fit that could have been the difference.

Thanks for the link.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Red Exile said:

I was there...with my late brother and dad.

As the players leave the pitch good to hear that fine old chant 'ello, ello, East End aggro...' Not heard that for a bit.

What a cup run that was.

Me too.

Watched it back & was surprised how close the game was, AD was just starting to build a very decent side.

As for the chanting, definitely some things are best left in the past, funny as it is to hear it again after all these years.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

Reliving that game of almost 50 years ago reminded me of just how much the beautiful game has evolved. These days we rarely, if ever see the goalkeeper drop kicking the ball aimlessly up the pitch. Back then they all did it. 

I would have been at that game but don’t remember much about it - it’s an age thing………..:dunno:

10 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

It was definitely sardines in the open end,

I was there with my now dear departed Dad. It was an absolute crush trying to get out. At the end of the game we just got carried along with the crowd funnelling out. Neither of us were very big and at one point my Dad said his feet were off the ground as we slowly moved forward. I managed to glance down and he was right. It seemed funny at the time, but it could have been serious if anyone had fallen.

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

I was there with my now dear departed Dad. It was an absolute crush trying to get out. At the end of the game we just got carried along with the crowd funnelling out. Neither of us were very big and at one point my Dad said his feet were off the ground as we slowly moved forward. I managed to glance down and he was right. It seemed funny at the time, but it could have been serious if anyone had fallen.

Too long ago to remember exactly but I would have been 12 by then so Dad probably had me stood in front of the stanchion, not a great view but safer.

There was no trouble at all where we were, apart from the urine running down the terrace from the Liverpool fan just behind us who was trapped in the crowd and couldn't get to the toilets.

I loved to see the ground full but that day was probably a bit too much.

• Like 1

My favourite bit is watching the crowd surges in the East End when we have a decent chance. I remember terracing like that where you're literally picked up and carried somewhere else by the sheer volume of people. A little bit scary, but also exciting and exhilarating - I miss those days.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting- never seen this episode of the big match previously, which leads to my question, itv 4 seem to just repeat the episodes from only about 3 different seasons, but many years of the big match are never shown.

Is their any YouTube channels which show them all?

On a separate note the bbc have never made all of the match of the day archives available- any particular reason for this?

51 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Thanks for posting- never seen this episode of the big match previously, which leads to my question, itv 4 seem to just repeat the episodes from only about 3 different seasons, but many years of the big match are never shown.

On a separate note the bbc have never made all of the match of the day archives available- any particular reason for this?

There's a City v Man City MOTD clip 1966, with Ken Wolstenholme, just a couple of mins, on YouTube

I remember being a bit disappointed at this game, whereas in the previous round against Leeds we gave them lots of problems there was great expectation against Liverpool but they had done their homework on us and we didn't really get a sniff in this one. Nevertheless a great achievement to get to the 6th round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

The forest city fa cup game 80 81 season was on not long ago... 

2 minutes ago, beaverface said:

This game was before my time, so this is one of the few occasions I've had to see some of the players in action.

I must say, I liked the look of Fear, Tainton and Gow in that match.

Yes, some neat football. But it must've been hard going back then to break teams down on poor pitches when defenders could take lumps out of you. Not long after this we signed Cheese who replaced Keith Fear (I think?) and we probably went a bit more "aerial" ? Like at Arsenal!  Older posters will know more.

Five or six local lads plus Tom and Gerry, our own youngsters.

3 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

There are quite a few old games on YouTube but not all in one place so you have to do a bit of searching. Here's one from the same year as that Liverpool game when we played at Palace in the league:

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

We had some great youngsters then - a bit like now. Collier, Rodgers, Gow, Ritchie all aged 19-22 at the time of the Liverpool match. Even Merrick who was injured v Liverpool - the skipper - was only 22. Of course we managed to keep the bulk of that team together until we were promoted. So, for perfect symmetry, how about being promoted to the Premier League in 2025-26, exactly 50 years since the last time! 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Reliving that game of almost 50 years ago reminded me of just how much the beautiful game has evolved. These days we rarely, if ever see the goalkeeper drop kicking the ball aimlessly up the pitch. Back then they all did it. 

I would have been at that game but don’t remember much about it - it’s an age thing………..:dunno:

Are you sure, I’ve checked the OS and it isn’t mentioned.?

• Haha 2

I love watching the old games.I was only 3 when this was played but Mecca looks like it was when I first started going a few yrs later.

I didn’t realise how well we played that day.So great to see some of the players I watched in div 1.Happy memories.

Loved the lack of health and safety and two blokes sat on the roof behind the Park End at the beginning.Superb.

21 hours ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

That Liverpool goal was all luck for them, a couple of rebounds that fell at their feet then pundit Malcolm Allison says it was intentional!! Total cr4p.

Should have won it, with Merrick fit that could have been the difference.

Immediately after they scored, City restarted and were running towards the Liverpool goal when the Ref stopped play.  Some away fans had run on the pitch to celebrate and deliberately or not, prevented a quick eqauliser.

Six months later we went there for a League Cup game and lost 4-0. 20 years later we had revenge though! ?