IGNORED

Norwich City at home match thread

1 hour ago, Jerseybean said:
AG8 Events for Saturday - 1pm - 6 of the Ashton Gate 8 walking concourse and fan village - 2:45pm - Take seats to show appreciation to the Ashton Gate 8 - 3:08pm (8:01.. 8:02.. 8:59 on Matchday Clock) - A minutes applause

That conflicts with the OP is it 7:01 to 7:59 or 8:01 to 8:59 for the applause? I would have thought the former being the actual 8th minute.

Haven't looked forward to a home game with such anticipation for a while. Great opportunity to help Norwich end their "yo-yo" existence, with a big, up for it crowd, exciting young home grown players to watch, us playing well with great team spirit, and a good excuse to have a few cheeky ciders!

Slightly disappointed that Naismith isn't available, but I'm hoping we have enough in the tank to get past 'em. Here's to three points...

COYR!!!!!

• Like 3
1 hour ago, BS3City said:

Haven't looked forward to a home game with such anticipation for a while. Great opportunity to help Norwich end their "yo-yo" existence, with a big, up for it crowd, exciting young home grown players to watch, us playing well with great team spirit, and a good excuse to have a few cheeky ciders!

Slightly disappointed that Naismith isn't available, but I'm hoping we have enough in the tank to get past 'em. Here's to three points...

COYR!!!!!

With Naismith out, we need Williams & James to be on it. They have not looked that great played together from the start before, so lets hope they can both be on good form today.

10 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

With Naismith out, we need Williams & James to be on it. They have not looked that great played together from the start before, so lets hope they can both be on good form today.

Yes,, they will need to get it going together today - if it's not clicking for them options from the bench will be limited.

For me,, King coming on should be "emergency use only"...option would be for Scott to drop back in & either Weimann or Cornick advanced.

Edited by Son of Fred
37 minutes ago, eardun said:

In today’s programme is this pic of an old City programme from the match Norwich in Oct 1947 (we won 6-0, our best win v Norwich). I found it interesting that the kick off time was 3.15pm - anyone know if that was that the usual KO time back in the day? 

32D252CF-848C-42CE-BC49-6E0A55CFF317.png

Wow, even before my first match although I was alive then.

As for kick off time, I don't remember any after 1951 at 3-15 but as all industry worked a five and half day week with Saturday finishing around noon to 1pm, it was a help to those to have lunch and get to ground before kick-off.

Midweek games were usually played on "Early closing day" for shops. Different in all towns and cities. Bristol was a Wednesday which is why there was a local "Wednesday League" mostly of teams of male shopworkers.

From my early away games after I left school, Southend was a Monday and I think Nottingham was a Thursday.

Floodlights first allowed for league games in 1956 (I think) against Fulham.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Imho they have, they were part of a pairing at the latter part / back end of last season when we put good results and performances together.  Williams should be right up for this, getting possession of the shirt back due to Naismith injury.

It will mean we play a bit different, but basically it’ll be “get it and give it to Alex Scott”.  He can spray a pass, although not quite to the extent of Naismith, but he’s quicker over the ground though.

40 minutes ago, eardun said:

In today’s programme is this pic of an old City programme from the match Norwich in Oct 1947 (we won 6-0, our best win v Norwich). I found it interesting that the kick off time was 3.15pm - anyone know if that was that the usual KO time back in the day? 

32D252CF-848C-42CE-BC49-6E0A55CFF317.png

No floodlights in those days so it would have been a bit gloomy towards the end of the match it the weather was overcast. Footballers were tough in those days. Playing on a mud bath of a pitch with footballs like medicine balls and in the dark 

13 hours ago, CanaryCouple said:

Just wanted to add – I saw that you're planning a minute's applause from 7:00-7:59 for the Ashton Gate Eight.

At our last couple of games we have had a minute's applause from 8:00-8.59 for a young fan named Amber Sheehy, who tragically died recently just hours short of her ninth birthday.

Appreciate it's a bit late notice now, but if you see us cheering especially loudly just afterwards you'll know why. Coventry fans joined in with us at our last away game and made it an incredibly emotional experience for Amber's family, who were in the crowd.

https://www.ambersarmy.org.uk/

FtW There’s some confusion about timing with us ? on FB (as per the match day opening thread) it says 7:01-7:59 but elsewhere it says - 3:08pm (8:01.. 8:02.. 8:59 on Matchday Clock) - A minutes applause

I’d just like to apologise to everyone. My daughter has never seen the City win in 15 years..I have, in recent years discouraged her from attending. She has just texted me to say she is going with friends. I have offered her £100 to stay in the centre and enjoy herself instead of coming to the gate….alas she has declined my offer?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

No floodlights in those days so it would have been a bit gloomy towards the end of the match it the weather was overcast. Footballers were tough in those days. Playing on a mud bath of a pitch with footballs like medicine balls and in the dark 

Yes which was why I was surprised that KO was even later than 3pm. Think @cidered abroadhas nailed it above though - a bit later KO time gave more time for Sat morning workers to get to the match.