IGNORED

Max’s Kicking

BLRed

No you are not the only one that thinks this. Max has done a great job establishing himself as Number 1(well 12…actually) and is a good stopper and catcher of the ball. However, please please Max kick the ball forward not sideways. You are asking far too much from our wide players to keep the ball in play. We give away possession again and again. Aim for the opposite corner flag is more likely to stay in and play to our strengths. 

That aside soooo proud of the team today. Played their hearts out. Pring reminds me of the kind of players we had back in the 1980s90s. No messing, aggressive play - gives 150% and leaves the pitch looking like he’s been on a battlefield. 

Edited by pikeysrobins
  • Flames 1

This was something I flagged a couple of times before. And I agree Max’s general command of his area has got better but his kicking is dire. It’s either a floaty one wide which is easy to attack or a slice. He also plays people into trouble a bit on the floor at times. 

It’s a major question mark and will be exploited by teams. He thinks he’s Ramsdale. He’s nowhere near that level distribution wise.

25 minutes ago, BLRed said:

I don’t really want to put a negative post following a fantastic win and performance by the team but one area that does concern me is the serious inability of max when it comes to kicking a ball. Game after game on numerous occasions he kicks it straight out of play under pressure or not, which then puts us back under pressure by conceding possession.

if he’s going to be our number 1 long term, he really needs to improve in this area. 
Am I the only one that has noticed this? Thought it was worthy of discussion.

10 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

His commanding of the area has improved so it’s horses for courses i spose 

Yes we are so much less likely to concede from dead balls than we were. 

Without doubt everyone noticed some wayward kicking today. I think max has kicking practice in his future!

He kicked it out “for no apparent reason” once, that was it. It is obviously a tactic to kick to the touch line and on most of the kicks that went out of play it was Pring getting eased out of the header. That tells me Max is literally a yard or two out with his distribution. Something to work on definitely but nowhere near as bad as Frank who kicked it 5 yards over peoples heads and out. Bit of rewriting history I think.

• Like 1

Thought he had a very good game, positive at claiming the ball & when to choose to punch.

His kicking did get worse as the game progressed & two particularly poor ones weren’t when he was really under pressure, but I’d take a keeper who looks secure but is struggling with his kicking over the reverse, any day.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Frankie got absolute pelters and his kicking was miles better. I also think his decision making on catching/punching is also a bit iffy, but he’s not long been number one, so plenty of time for improvement. Good Keeper but room for improvement. 

Disagree around the catching and punching, I personally think every cross that came in he dealt with superbly. The ones he punched went long and out of danger which impressed me.

As for the kicking, I’m torn on it. He clearly is good with the ball at his feet showed by his ability to go short but too many times he goes for the full backs and asks a lot of them to keep it in play and get possession. It has worked a few times which constitutes to a great attack but a lot of the time we lose possession in many ways

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Thought he had a very good game, positive at claiming the ball & when to choose to punch.

His kicking did get worse as the game progressed & two particularly poor ones weren’t when he was really under pressure, but I’d take a keeper who looks secure but is struggling with his kicking over the reverse, any day.

Thought he'd got that out of his system so was surprised that it started to return as the game progressed. However seems to be more assured at collecting the ball and not punching it away. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

O’Learys kicking today was shocking. I can’t remember the last time I saw a City keeper out it out of touch so often. Probably FF was the last

No doubt he’ll be very aware of how awry his distribution was and work to rectify it.

I can - Max O’Leary, away to Swansea in the FA cup 

23 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It is clearly a tactical ploy. And it makes sense generally, too. 

The design is to ensure that when we cannot play out from the back because the opposition press has been good we have a higher percentage chance of retaining possession by chipping it into the fullbacks. 

Thats because we either win the header or the opposition defender wins it and likely heads it out for a throw. 

Execution was slightly off today, but its a very small margin for error with that kick.

Max has been brilliant since coming in. He's kept a cleansheet against one of the best forwards to ever play this level, he's dominated his box and he's getting better at knowing when the pressure needs to be averted by going longer. 

If he whacked it down the middle we'd lose the ball and be right back under pressure. If he plays short when it's not on, pelters. 

He's been TOLD to do this, and its obvious why. 

Finally some sense 

Just now, joe jordans teeth said:

No shi Sherlock,every human has apart from you of course 

I’ve got one. Giving negative ninnies like you the time of day!!