IGNORED

Max’s Kicking

BLRed

If things keep progressing as they are, then realistically MO’L is the weak link in the team.

He is doing ok. Unfortunately I can’t see him being any better than ok.

If we are to push on next season a new no.1 will need to be signed. Not sure if the keeper we signed in January is the answer. I hope we would be looking at someone like Cooper at Plymouth, although his injury might prevent any move soon.

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

37 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

It is clearly a tactical ploy. And it makes sense generally, too. 

The design is to ensure that when we cannot play out from the back because the opposition press has been good we have a higher percentage chance of retaining possession by chipping it into the fullbacks. 

Thats because we either win the header or the opposition defender wins it and likely heads it out for a throw. 

Execution was slightly off today, but its a very small margin for error with that kick.

Max has been brilliant since coming in. He's kept a cleansheet against one of the best forwards to ever play this level, he's dominated his box and he's getting better at knowing when the pressure needs to be averted by going longer. 

If he whacked it down the middle we'd lose the ball and be right back under pressure. If he plays short when it's not on, pelters. 

He's been TOLD to do this, and its obvious why. 

Those were my thoughts too. It happened so often it had to be deliberate. If you kick up the centre of the pitch and we lose possession (which we frequently do) the risk is higher than conceding a throw in near the halfway line. And if it lands just inside the line, the full backs have a good chance of getting on the end of it. If the opposition win the header, it’s still less dangerous than in the centre circle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Kicking it out on purpose. **** me 

Thing is when he kicks it wide it's always going to be long rather than short with the chance of their wide player picking it up and exposing our defence.

Although it looks shit and gives position away i can see why we don't pump it up the middle, loose the ball and they have the width of the pitch to attack. Much better to concede a throw halfway line then get the opposition to try and break us down from there.

41 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It was awful today, even out of his hands, where he seems to be kicking it with slice.  Those drop kicks just ask for your opponent to attack it.

I get the tactic of kicking it wide, but it’s pretty clear it just concedes possession.  Just aim 10 yards infield.

I thought the same Dave - he was definitely slicing in from his hands.

Surely just booting up the pitch hands possession to the opposition. Far better to either throw or pass it to a defender and play out from the back.

19 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

If things keep progressing as they are, then realistically MO’L is the weak link in the team.

He is doing ok. Unfortunately I can’t see him being any better than ok.

If we are to push on next season a new no.1 will need to be signed. Not sure if the keeper we signed in January is the answer. I hope we would be looking at someone like Cooper at Plymouth, although his injury might prevent any move soon.

Are you having a f****** laugh. Max is one of the reasons for our upturn in form and one of the reasons we are more solid defensively. Saved us in numerous games since he's come in (have you watched all the away games?). His command of the box is so much better than Bentley. His shot stopping and reflexes are equal if not better than Bentleys. You can see that the centre backs have confidence in their keeper in terms of their postive body language when defending, and that calmness translates to the stands.

I'll admit in the first couple of games when he came in, things did look a bit shaky, but that's down to the back line and keeper working through their issues, since then I've seen nothing but improvement (bar the spilled shot against Preston, but for me that was an extremely difficult shot with the ball bouncing just in front of him and at pace).

Definitely not a weak link, but hey ho, we all see things differently I suppose!

• Like 2