IGNORED

Standard of stewarding

Always red

...is abysmal. Going into S23 today to my seat through the vomitory (that's what they're called honest!) The steward was hood up (was it raining or cold?) Hands in pockets, leaning against wall, totally disinterested and not engaging with fans. 

The minimum I expect is alert, engaging, positive NVC's. Do they have no supervisors to kick their arse.

As for kids going on the pitch with Man City coming up it'll be more. Messages on PA would help and albeit going on the green bit is a criminal offence a bit of understanding wouldn't go amiss. Bit different to a drunken scroat. 

Match day experience generally good but could be soon much better with a few tweaks 

Rant over

And yes, I've worked at large events for decades 

• Sad 1

For the first game after section 82 mived to the Dolman, I was walking up the steps to S23 and the steward demanded to see my ticket. I asked why and was told that fans were sitting in the wrong seats. I pointed out that this was the cheapest part of the ground and no one would swap their seats to here, but he was adamant. So in a cold January day, he made me rummage for my ticket and never even looked at it when I produced it, just a box ticking excercise.

38 minutes ago, CrackingCheeseGromit said:

For the first game after section 82 mived to the Dolman, I was walking up the steps to S23 and the steward demanded to see my ticket. I asked why and was told that fans were sitting in the wrong seats. I pointed out that this was the cheapest part of the ground and no one would swap their seats to here, but he was adamant. So in a cold January day, he made me rummage for my ticket and never even looked at it when I produced it, just a box ticking excercise.

Mate I've just got my three grandsons in to it went to walk them round the club shop from Atyeo end only to be confronted by these toss pot stewards asking for our tickets got my hair off with these Hitler's these ***** should be on border,control

There was a thread on stewards recently and I commented then on how I’m not sure they know what their job is, the approach and standard is all over the place.

A few games ago I happened to be at the ground much earlier than usual, it was still very quiet. Walking along the back of the Lansdown, minding my own business a steward walked towards me and barked “got a ticket?”. I replied “yes, thank you” and continued my stride. He tried to prevent me continuing and further barked “show me”, to which I said “why?”. He said “cuz!”. I replied “Cuz? What sort of reason is that?” and carried on walking.

If he’d politely spoken to me and said something along the lines of “excuse me would it possible to see your ticket for todays game, we are just doing some spot checks” then no bother. 

On Section 82, they haven’t and didn’t at any point move to the Dolman, some of the singing section did though, although a lot appeared to be back yesterday. 

I had an experience with a steward yesterday too. 
I was walking toward the entrance by the away section, to head toward the Lansdown Family Stand. I was with my young daughter. 
By the main entrance there is a car park barrier. The barrier was open when me and my daughter were approaching. 
The steward was in the process of closing this gate, which to be honest I’d not really noticed when I was approaching. 
He could see that me and my daughter were about to walk through but he continued to shut the barrier anyway, forcing us to take a couple of steps backwards.  
I stood there looking at him as he shut this barrier, with great authority, right in my young daughters face, making us back up. 
I looked at him and he said “it’s an emergency exit this”. 
So I said “Maybe so, but you just shut it right in a young girls face”. 

Of course, there is a pedestrian entrance, but it was quite a busy period with a number of fans walking in at once. This gate was open as we approached so we made a beeline for it and he just shut it in our faces. 

I’m not overly bothered about it and am only posting this because there is a specific thread (I wouldn’t have bothered otherwise). But it would have been a much better experience for my young daughter had this officious oaf just waited 2 seconds before shutting the barrier. 

Edit - in contrast, I’d just like to add that the lady steward at the top of the steps in block W8 is brilliant. Really friendly, always says hi, high fives the kids etc. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I was walking toward the entrance by the away section, to head toward the Lansdown Family Stand. I was with my young daughter. 
By the main entrance there is a car park barrier. The barrier was open when me and my daughter were approaching. 
The steward was in the process of closing this gate, which to be honest I’d not really noticed when I was approaching. 
He could see that me and my daughter were about to walk through but he continued to shut the barrier anyway, forcing us to take a couple of steps backwards.  
I stood there looking at him as he shut this barrier, with great authority, right in my young daughters face, making us back up. 

Of course, there is a pedestrian entrance, but it was quite a busy period with a number of fans walking in at once. This gate was open as we approached so we made a beeline for it and he just shut it in our faces. 

I’m not overly bothered about it and am only posting this because there is a specific thread (I wouldn’t have bothered otherwise). But it would have been a much better experience for my young daughter had this officious oaf just waited 2 seconds before shutting the barrier. 

No need for that Harry, seems to be the way with some of them as per my post above. 

There must obviously be some issues with stewards, but in all my years of going to Ashton Gate I’ve never experienced any problems. Neither has anyone I know. One of the reasons they have to keep doing checks etc is because of a small minority of City fans who seem to think they can do what they can do what they want. That doesn’t excuse things they do which are OTT but, being realistic, if there were never any issues with the minority of the fans City wouldn’t need to employ steward apart from H&S 

4 hours ago, Big C said:

You can tell when we are on a good run as the players no longer get stick but the stewards do

Indeed. It wouldn’t be BCFC without SOMETHING to moan about ay!

For what it’s worth i think the stewards at Ashton Gate are no better or worse than at any other stadium or concert venue in this country from my experience.

At the end of the day these stewards will be on probably no more than £9 or £10 quid an hour and in some cases have to deal with situations the vast majority of us wouldn’t want to get involved in even if we were paid double that..

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Indeed. It wouldn’t be BCFC without SOMETHING to moan about ay!

For what it’s worth i think the stewards at Ashton Gate are no better or worse than at any other stadium or concert venue in this country from my experience.

At the end of the day these stewards will be on probably no more than £9 or £10 quid an hour and in some cases have to deal with situations the vast majority of us wouldn’t want to get involved in even if we were paid double that..

Dead right on that last point. (And the first one too ?).

The stewarding at AG does seem unusually inconsistent and unpredictable though. The point @Harry makes above. Things like being able to get all the way to the Dolman entrance without having to show a ticket whilst on the other side of the ground you have to show one to get within 100m of the stadium. 

The best stewards always were (maybe still are) at Brentford. High five adults as well as kids, welcome to Brentford, have you had a good journey, here’s where you need to go, and pretty much always discreet, friendly, sensible inside the ground. 

Still find it weird you get the “tickets please” stewards as you walk to the ground. 

If I haven’t got a ticket then I’d go to the collections behind them, so with or without tickets I’d need to pass them… 

I just ignore them and walk through. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Selred said:

Still find it weird you get the “tickets please” stewards as you walk to the ground. 

If I haven’t got a ticket then I’d go to the collections behind them, so with or without tickets I’d need to pass them… 

I just ignore them and walk through. 

Going in through Ashton Road end a young lady steward asked the wrong question  " have you got a ticket" "yes thank you" I replied. She smiled as I walked past her.

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Edit - in contrast, I’d just like to add that the lady steward at the top of the steps in block W8 is brilliant. Really friendly, always says hi, high fives the kids etc. 

So. As I said above, I wasn’t really bothered about having a barrier closed in my daughter’s face, forcing us to take a couple of steps backwards. 

But……..I’ve just seen a post on Twitter of a whole bunch of Norwich fans making their way through the exact same gate. 
Why were they allowed through an “emergency exit”, but my young child was forced backwards and had a barrier quite literally closed in her face. 

I wasn’t too bothered before. But having seen that video, I now am. 

On 12/02/2023 at 08:41, Always red said:

...is abysmal. Going into S23 today to my seat through the vomitory (that's what they're called honest!) The steward was hood up (was it raining or cold?) Hands in pockets, leaning against wall, totally disinterested and not engaging with fans. 

The minimum I expect is alert, engaging, positive NVC's. Do they have no supervisors to kick their arse.

As for kids going on the pitch with Man City coming up it'll be more. Messages on PA would help and albeit going on the green bit is a criminal offence a bit of understanding wouldn't go amiss. Bit different to a drunken scroat. 

Match day experience generally good but could be soon much better with a few tweaks 

Rant over

And yes, I've worked at large events for decades 

Report it to Supporters services, it will get done,

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Ahh that was the pre-match Limbo competition that had just started!

• Haha 2

As I stated in the thread before purchased my three grandkids half season tickets kids were,given 40quid vouchers to spend in club shop the kids are eleven and six walking from the Ashton entrance around to club shop stewards were asking us for match tickets we sit in the Dolman why would you have to produce a ticket to walk to club shop ? Don't get it .