IGNORED

Ian Gay knows sod all about football part 7,432

Silvio Dante

7 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Because he has a different opinion to you?

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it is that he always has a different opinion, to the extent that one feels it must be a deliberate attempt to be contrary for effect.

Edited by Port Said Red
Technical issue.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just for you Dave, here’s Ian’s rationale, where he expands and confirm nobody was better than 6/10 as they could do better.

Total Belter.

37909F7A-AFA0-4544-8D61-7A5BD78CBCA4.jpeg

(Ian hasn’t realised we play counter attacking football which low possession is a function of)

The part that beats me, is that he's literally listed all the reasons we have 35% possession (playstyle, player output, etc), and can't seem to work out the manager has realised - why play possession if we don't have the players for it, ergo playing a system to fundamentally get the best out of them?

By that logic he should go study Reading's record breaking season under Coppell - who averaged something like 42% possession and guess how many points they had. That would be interesting.

As for the input output comment - that's just tripe. As Mourinho said when we beat his United side, and many others have said the same - you make your own luck.

I usually take Ians post with a pinch of salt, but that's one of the most stupid comments I've seen be amended to football in a long long time.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

I don't know about anyone else, but for me it is that he always has a different opinion, to the extent that one feels it must be a deliberate attempt to be contrary for effect.

Ian Gay is probably the most opinionated and pessimistic person that I’ve met. He’s never in the wrong and has a negative take on pretty much everything City related.

The guys who I car share with turn off RB if he’s on - that says everything……..:cool2:

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

It’s the work that you don’t see that makes the difference, if you don’t notice James during the match then he’s having a good game. Reads it, sticks his foot in at the right places and  just makes it tick. He’ll never be an in your face midfielder, we’ve got Williams and Scott for that

Not true, people who understand the game do notice him and do notice the elements that others don’t understand. First 20 minutes he struggled, badly…then found his feet and had an excellent spell.

28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Just for you Dave, here’s Ian’s rationale, where he expands and confirm nobody was better than 6/10 as they could do better.

Total Belter.

37909F7A-AFA0-4544-8D61-7A5BD78CBCA4.jpeg

(Ian hasn’t realised we play counter attacking football which low possession is a function of)

It’s really interesting the bit about possession, because he harps on about it so much.  He once said (paraphrased) - “we never seem to win with 52%+ possession, yet we win with 35-45%”.  There was no further “analysis”.  That to me confirms he doesn’t understand how we play / opponents play, or how the state of the game influences possession.  He often says “I’ve done the analysis”, when what he really means is “I’ve plucked some numbers off of a website”…there is no actual analysis.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s really interesting the bit about possession, because he harps on about it so much.  He once said (paraphrased) - “we never seem to win with 52%+ possession, yet we win with 35-45%”.  There was no further “analysis”.  That to me confirms he doesn’t understand how we play / opponents play, or how the state of the game influences possession.  He often says “I’ve done the analysis”, when what he really means is “I’ve plucked some numbers off of a website”…there is no actual analysis.

If there is anyone out there that doesn't realise we are predominantly a COUNTER ATTACKING SIDE then words fail me..............

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Haha, I wouldn’t have seen that tweet on twitter…both of them blocked me!!!  BCFCAnalysis is JonDolman.  Neither like having a debate / discussion.  That’ll be a good thread to follow!! 

He was there yesterday with @Curr Avonpre-game in Kofi….I saw him.

I haven’t heard him on BBCRB post-match though for a few games.

I think in his defence, he does like a debate but doesn’t necessarily have the time to debate as long as you do.  He would say it’s sometimes best to just agree to disagree after a bit of back and forth than have long drawn out debates 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Isn’t @headhunter on here his mate who he does the podcast with . The main reason I don’t listen to it is because of mr know nothing know it all. The bloke has no filter , thinks his shit don’t stink 

Ian is my mate and he can be a rude arrogant *unt but so's Piers Morgan and he has 8.3M followers on Twitter.

He talks out of his *rse quite regularly but what makes me laugh is that he's living rent free in the heads of all his critics on here. 

You should listen to this latest episode which also features the Sutton father & son duo plus Mark and Ian won't disappoint!!:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/norwich-h-the-verdict-how-long-can-we-keep-this-run-going/

Fact is we're getting 5k downloads a month for our knee jerk, under analysed comment on all matters City. Now I'm guessing we're the 3rd most popular podcast behind 3Peaps & OSIB [our downloads are visible, theirs aren't] and I'll settle for that. It's fun to do and that's all that matters to me and I don't care if people think I know jack-*hit about football either.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

I like Ian (and @Curr Avon

leaving the latter to one side, Ian despite everything IMO is a supporter who wants the best for the club and isn’t afraid to say what he thinks. Yes you may not agree with some of it and he does get over the top down when we loose but that’s what the off button is for. 

What I typically do is not listen to the poddy for a while during wrist slashing weeks, but always go back until the next time I have to leave it alone. 

Incidently

Not sure why anyone would block @Davefevs on any media, the bloke is a rockstar on here.  I just see him as a more measured and thoughtful version of Ian with a spreadsheet!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Ian is my mate and he can be a rude arrogant *unt but so's Piers Morgan and he has 8.3M followers on Twitter.

He talks out of his *rse quite regularly but what makes me laugh is that he's living rent free in the heads of all his critics on here. 

You should listen to this latest episode which also features the Sutton father & son duo plus Mark and Ian won't disappoint!!:

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/norwich-h-the-verdict-how-long-can-we-keep-this-run-going/

Fact is we're getting 5k downloads a month for our knee jerk, under analysed comment on all matters City. Now I'm guessing we're the 3rd most popular podcast behind 3Peaps & OSIB [our downloads are visible, theirs aren't] and I'll settle for that. It's fun to do and that's all that matters to me and I don't care if people think I know jack-*hit about football either.

To be fair HH, no one doubts the podcast itself to any degree, and in spite of many views, with regards to podcasts - more the merrier, more content for us fans, etc. Its going to do well as people will always want to see the contrasting opinion(s) across the fanbase - I can guarantee a portion of fans likely listen to all three for some context.

As for the bit of bold, that's basically nail on head. I'd amend it and say the biggest gripe with people, myself included, who quite like digging into the performance numbers - is that if he simply stopped saying "I've done the analysis" and said "In my point of view" instead, he'd get a lot less frictional views from members on here.

I have to agree with Fevs; he literally plucks numbers and draws his own conclusions with not much foundation. That is not analysis, as there's no balanced counterpoints to his own arguments to lend his views any credence, and the problem is there's nobody to bounce off of on the pod when he does raise points to encourage said further debate and analysis, at least with any statistical knowledge - I know myself and a few others have cursory coaching badges etc. When he is questioned - usually such as the twitter take below, its all evidently very shallow analysis, or at the very least lacking any context with regards to tactical system within which the players operate.

image.png.9d7fe6c371a5843ad2df1b625f1a4aa3.png

^ This being a prime example. 
If we were to use the logic above, James, et al, are going to be 6/10 every week based on what they can do and no better - they're playing on a system where job is essentially to screen, turnover, and play the ball up the pitch on the counter-press as quickly as possible - usually via the channels. Despite the fact even the statistical rating systems have the three of them rounded 8 (Williams), 7 (Scott), and 7 (James) respectively on whoscsored. Are whoscored always accurate? - by no means, however its worth noting that Sergeant (James' man), had 22 touches. Which is what I'd bring Ian up on - as he was marked from the game so thoroughly he was subbed off at the 60 mark for Idah. If that doesn't speak to James' performance I don't know what does.

In a team whose biggest weakness is defensive - to then turnaround and complain about a players attacking/creativity output in a defensive role?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

56 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Fair play , keep doing it . I just won’t listen or be told what to think by him . As for living rent free, I can assure you he doesn’t . I find it funny that someone who talks complete bollocks gets so much air time. 

• Like 11
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I like Ian (and @Curr Avon

leaving the latter to one side, Ian despite everything IMO is a supporter who wants the best for the club and isn’t afraid to say what he thinks. Yes you may not agree with some of it and he does get over the top down when we loose but that’s what the off button is for. 

What I typically do is not listen to the poddy for a while during wrist slashing weeks, but always go back until the next time I have to leave it alone. 

Incidently

Not sure why anyone would block @Davefevs on any media, the bloke is a rockstar on here.  I just see him as a more measured and thoughtful version of Ian with a spreadsheet!

Some take disagreement as some kind of personal attack, not constructive criticism. Agree with you as to why block Fevs - but then to be fair I tend to agree with his viewpoints myself.

16 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I'm starting to feel for Ian when piers Morgan is used as a analogy, one thing is clear Ian is putting bums on seats when it comes to podcasts, i enjoyed Roger Malone and he never spoke any sense and was incapable of getting facts right, but he was a good listen 

Not mine. I avoid any City podcasts when he’s involved. I always feel as if I’m being lectured.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

As I said earlier I listened today (live for the first time) and thought your mate was much less abrasive than he has been on other formats.

I like hearing the views of other fans and your podcast is another medium to do that, I’m not sure about your living in heads or 5K downloads comment, is that a boast or justification of some kind?

How many people listen (like me) to see if you and your guests saw the same game, or listen because they weren’t at the game and are looking for a balanced view?

A balanced view backed up with facts is nearly always preferable to me rather than a view that gets the majority of people’s backs up (unless you’re Piers of course).

Although just like Piers and the Sun talking or printing crap does sell to a certain element.

Keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

So you’re mates rude, arrogant, talks out of his arse, sounds like a top bloke.

• Haha 10

I enjoy the FBC podcast and listening to the contributors apart from when Ian's talking which I just fast forward through. I've never come across anyone with such a pessimistic, miserable, glass half empty mindset about the club. Would be good to have a few FBC episodes without Ian on it for a change. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

The poddy was good today @headhunter@Curr Avon et al. Listened to it while watching Man U. 

Ian is a lot more measured than the bad old days of his Pearson out rants. I like ?? it. 

As for ten wins from sixteen, I agree with Mr Gay. It is possible but the odds are against it. However as was stated last week we need to continue a run. Wigan will be up for it on Wednesday, but I’m hopeful we will have too much.

If we subsequently get something from Sunderland then, just ? maybe!

• Like 2