IGNORED

Hall of Fame class of 2022/23 - the next inductee is...

shahanshahan

52 minutes ago, frenchred said:

And I'll admit to not wanting to be educated!!

Why is it every time women are discussed in footballing terms there's always a man who appears quicker than a flash to demean and underplay their achievements, why can't you just be happy for them and what they've achieved rather than downplaying it is as completely insignificant and worthless.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Still think Johnson made a major error in not taking Orr off sooner, but more importantly in bringing Little Lee on and moving Marvin Elliott to right back.  For me it should always have been Carey to right back and Vasko on, leaving Elliott in midfield.

I wonder if Ivan sprouted attending ? 

23 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I'm not sure you did, but you did ask what they had done to be inducted. If you feel that they deserve it then all well and good. If you feel they don't I would be interested to know why. @frenchredhas given us his reasons, though I am sure he knows I don't agree with him.

I know you’re desperately trying to be offended but I suggest you look else where.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Jazzy said:

Why is it every time women are discussed in footballing terms there's always a man who appears quicker than a flash to demean and underplay their achievements, why can't you just be happy for them and what they've achieved rather than downplaying it is as completely insignificant and worthless.

I think you answered your own question with the last bit 

Regardless of views on women's football it's probably way too early for a club of that age to have a hall of fame. Sure they might end up being the best times the club ever had but if they go on to be the best side in the world in 20 years then those achievements pale into insignificance. Mens or women's football 

44 minutes ago, dREDful said:

Regardless of views on women's football it's probably way too early for a club of that age to have a hall of fame. Sure they might end up being the best times the club ever had but if they go on to be the best side in the world in 20 years then those achievements pale into insignificance. Mens or women's football 

There’s been a women’s team on and off since 1973

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, dREDful said:

So should we kick Micky Bell out of the hall of fame just in case we win the Champions League 10 years in a row?

1 hour ago, dREDful said:

Weren't they originally Bristol Rovers? I don't keep up but heard that 

The current Bristol City team was, yes, when it formed in 1998. It became independent & rebranded as Bristol Academy in 2005 before being taken over by Bristol Sport sometime in the 2010s then renamed Bristol City in 2015

The current Rovers team that exists now was formed in 2019

Edited by shahanshahan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

So should we kick Micky Bell out of the hall of fame just in case we win the Champions League 10 years in a row?

I mean you have missed the point by an absolute country mile there if based on the time reference that I don't even know what point you're making.

If it's a point on Mickey Bell specifically then, yeh, I dunno if he belongs in a Hall of Fame for Bristol City. There's an argument for him probably, but let's face it we've not exactly been anything more than an average top L1/bottom Championship side on average. 

But yeh, you'd probably two or three better LBs who should be there ahead of him   

Edited by dREDful

8 hours ago, dREDful said:

On @View from the Dolman's point, and it's a good one if Bell is in there. Is there a complete list available?

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/hall-of-fame-vote-deadline-tonight/

John Atyeo, Mickey Bell, Jack Boxley, Louis Carey, Ray Cashley, Paul Cheesley, Gary Collier, Alan Dicks, Tommy Doherty, Harry Dolman, Brian Drysdale, Alec Eisenträger, John Emanuel, Keith Fear, Mike Gibson, Donnie Gillies, Gerry Gow, Bobby Kellard, Jimmy Mann, Geoff Merrick, Scott Murray, Rob Newman, Tom Ritchie, Gerry Sweeney, Trevor Tainton, Bob Taylor, Mike Thresher, Brian Tinnion, Alan Walsh, Billy Wedlock, Clive Whitehead.

Loren Dykes, Corinne Yorston and Gary Johnson can now be added to the list. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

John Atyeo, Mickey Bell, Jack Boxley, Louis Carey, Ray Cashley, Paul Cheesley, Gary Collier, Alan Dicks, Tommy Doherty, Harry Dolman, Brian Drysdale, Alec Eisenträger, John Emanuel, Keith Fear, Mike Gibson, Donnie Gillies, Gerry Gow, Bobby Kellard, Jimmy Mann, Geoff Merrick, Scott Murray, Rob Newman, Tom Ritchie, Gerry Sweeney, Trevor Tainton, Bob Taylor, Mike Thresher, Brian Tinnion, Alan Walsh, Billy Wedlock, Clive Whitehead.

What is the criteria used for players to be shortlisted?

Surprised that Cole Skuse wasn't on the shortlist, academy graduate, over 250 games and I (think) is in that small group of players to have won both players of the season and young player of the season.

Maybe one to consider for a future vote.

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

The list of names certainly brings back some great memories. There are quite a few from the old 1st division days. All were great players in various years and great history of our club. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dREDful said:

I mean you have missed the point by an absolute country mile there if based on the time reference that I don't even know what point you're making.

If it's a point on Mickey Bell specifically then, yeh, I dunno if he belongs in a Hall of Fame for Bristol City. There's an argument for him probably, but let's face it we've not exactly been anything more than an average top L1/bottom Championship side on average. 

But yeh, you'd probably two or three better LBs who should be there ahead of him   

Brian Drysdale to name one

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Thank you

How has Harry Thickitt not been entered?!

Edited by dREDful

2 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

Someone was going to need to suggest it, but.....

Who - from that squad/list of names - would be your starting 11 - obviously, we won't have all seen all the players pull on a first team shirt, so indicate if you've seen them play or if you're selecting them based on history and reputation. 

Feel free to add in a ringer if your formation couldn't be achieved with the names, it might help focus the mind on the missing candidates! 

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Someone was going to need to suggest it, but.....

Who - from that squad/list of names - would be your starting 11 - obviously, we won't have all seen all the players pull on a first team shirt, so indicate if you've seen them play or if you're selecting them based on history and reputation. 

Feel free to add in a ringer if your formation couldn't be achieved with the names, it might help focus the mind on the missing candidates! 

Gibson

Sweeney   Wedlock     Carey    Bell

Murray     Gow        Newman    Walsh

Atyeo        Taylor

Only saw 8/9 of them play, so based on a mixture of reputation and personal favourites.

• Like 1