IGNORED

Neil Warnock to Huddersfield..

iamalagerdrinker

12 minutes ago, Swede said:

I suspect we turned him down, he probably didn't like that. Hence all the little jibes and digs over the years especially when LJ was in charge here like " I played against your Dad blah blah blah" We'd have signed Clint Hill and Sol Bamba plus Paddy Kenny and that horrible midfield enforcer. 

And got in the prem

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

In truth, his promotions have rarely been followed up by success at a higher level. If he was really successful he’d have managed a really big club and stayed for longer periods.

I’m genuinely not decrying his historic record of promotions, it is excellent.

However the last one was back in 2018 & he’s never kept a side up in The Prem in his entire career, either being relegated or sacked in the following season, so it isn’t “rarely” it’s never.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’m genuinely not decrying his historic record of promotions, it is excellent.

However the last one was back in 2018 & he’s never kept a side up in The Prem in his entire career, either being relegated or sacked in the following season, so it isn’t “rarely” it’s never.

Not quite. He did manage successive promotions with Notts County thirty years ago. But his normal pattern has been a short successful spell followed by a departure within a year or so.

• Admin
3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Why? Because I don’t agree with you? He’s vile.

Is it easy to find anyone else who has that opinion of him as a man away from football?  I’ve met the guy, know someone who lives near him, has a beer with, perfectly nice bloke by all accounts and I found him to be myself.

Is he a football dinosaur and a pantomime villain?  Yes, it’s hard to argue with that, but vile is not a characteristic I have seen in him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

In that case every manager hasn't worked out here! 

Warnock won promotion with Cardiff 5 years ago, and took them down the next season, the side was left uncompetitive even at Championship level. At Boro, Chris Wilder achieved considerably better results with the same group of players.

I think whatever he's had in the past, he's lost. None of us stay as effective in old age. 

He took over Cardiff when they were bottom of the Championship, kept them up comfortably and then got them automatic promotion.

The previous season to this he kept Rotherham up and they looked doomed before he took over.

He did average at Boro.

I'm sorry, you might not like him but to say his recent record isn't great is not true at all.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Is he a football dinosaur and a pantomime villain?  Yes, it’s hard to argue with that, but vile is not a characteristic I have seen in him.

Neil is not a vile man at all. When I was young I went to watch us play Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. I had stayed overnight in Sheffield before the game and the day before went into Streetwise Sports only to see Neil Warnock, Phil Jagielka, Paddy Kenny and Michael Tonge signing autographs. Neil recognised our accents so we told him we were up to watch Bristol City play and he was honestly a lovely bloke had nothing but good things to say about City signed my football and told us to batter the Owls (we won 3-2). 

Definitely a different man away from the cameras.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 2015 said:

He took over Cardiff when they were bottom of the Championship, kept them up comfortably and then got them automatic promotion.

The previous season to this he kept Rotherham up and they looked doomed before he took over.

He did average at Boro.

I'm sorry, you might not like him but to say his recent record isn't great is not true at all.

Hang on, his recent record is taking Cardiff straight down after one season of non-competitiveness in the Prem and leaving the club a very poor Championship side, then being bang average on a big budget at Boro.

I'll grant you that he'd achieved some very good stuff in the past. Holds the record for promotions. No one can argue against that.

But he's never achieved in the top flight and I am suggesting that his mojo has deserted him in the past 5 years. I mean, the guy's just over 5 years off 80.  I'd be very surprised if his latest comeback is anything other than mediocre. 

• Flames 1

40 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Hang on, his recent record is taking Cardiff straight down after one season of non-competitiveness in the Prem and leaving the club a very poor Championship side, then being bang average on a big budget at Boro.

I'll grant you that he'd achieved some very good stuff in the past. Holds the record for promotions. No one can argue against that.

But he's never achieved in the top flight and I am suggesting that his mojo has deserted him in the past 5 years. I mean, the guy's just over 5 years off 80.  I'd be very surprised if his latest comeback is anything other than mediocre. 

He’s done all that while we have been languishing in the lower leagues not going anywhere fast 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

He’s done all that while we have been languishing in the lower leagues not going anywhere fast 

To be fair to us, most of Warnock's management career has been lower leagues as well. In 43 years as a manager, he's managed at top flight level for only 3.5 seasons. 

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

To be fair to us, most of Warnock's management career has been lower leagues as well. In 43 years as a manager, he's managed at top flight level for only 3.5 seasons. 

Nobody is saying he’s Alex Ferguson but he is obviously a lot better than most of the dross we have had here during his career 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Nobody is saying he’s Alex Ferguson but he is obviously a lot better than most of the dross we have had here during his career 

My point wasn't that he was terrible: He's a cheat, but not an awful manager.  If you manage 21 clubs in a 43-year career, you're obviously going to get some triumphs, although it's worth noting he's relegated some clubs as well.

No, he's been a reasonable manager, but at 74 and a half I think his day has gone. I might be proved wrong, but I doubt it.

As for BCFC "dross" I don't think underachieving can be laid entirely at the door of every manager. I also would rather have the long-term vision of Nigel Pearson here than Neil Warnock. Every day of the week. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My point wasn't that he was terrible: He's a cheat, but not an awful manager.  If you manage 21 clubs in a 43-year career, you're obviously going to get some triumphs, although it's worth noting he's relegated some clubs as well.

No, he's been a reasonable manager, but at 74 and a half I think his day has gone. I might be proved wrong, but I doubt it.

As for BCFC "dross" I don't think underachieving can be laid entirely at the door of every manager. I also would rather have the long-term vision of Nigel Pearson here than Neil Warnock. Every day of the week. 

I wasn’t talking about Pearson more maybe Danny Wilson and the ilk 

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I think you're forgetting that Cardiff City were punching well above their weight in the Premier League that season with the team they had at their disposal. 

His recent record at Championship level is above average. You just don't like him and that's fine, I don't like his sides style of football either, but it's been successful up until today.

22 hours ago, frenchred said:

And got in the prem

A long, long time ago and before FFP when he could go into a club and bring in his A Team Kenny, Derry & Hill and spend someone elses money for a short term fix. There is no doubting he's had short term  success. Football's moved on and (thankfully) the impact of managers like him are diminished because of FFP & balancing the books. Even he's stated it will only be short term. Where is the value in that?

He's had loads of clubs, I wonder why.

On 18/02/2023 at 16:37, City_USA said:

You can't argue the fact he gets a response from his players

Certainly getting a response today, 3-0 down at home, they lost 4-0 last week.

Cue the “bet they beat us on Tuesday” posts..

They might well do with all of our injuries, but they are 7 points from safety & rock bottom at present, so even that might not save them.

They might well do with all of our injuries, but they are 7 points from safety & rock bottom at present, so even that might not save them.

Like or loath him , warnock has been a brilliant manager. I do think though it’s a job too far for him this time . He may well get them up to beat us Tuesday but it would be one of his biggest achievements  to save them now . 

I think we are playing them at the right time, as give Colin another 3-4 games and he will start to work his magic, at the moment they really are still a basket case, even with our problems at the moment we need to be looking to get 3 points in the week

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Like or loath him , warnock has been a brilliant manager. I do think though it’s a job too far for him this time . He may well get them up to beat us Tuesday but it would be one of his biggest achievements  to save them now . 

I hate him as an opposition manager, I really liked him when he had a spell away and was on the radio.
That said, I don't care where he gets them, I'd quite like them to stay up as my mate is a Huddersfield supporter. But all my main concern is a performance Tuesday. I'd happily praise him if he kept them up, would be another great achievement , after we've nicked 3 points..