IGNORED

Wigan Athletic at home match thread

Bar the two woodworks and a few wayward smashes across the box we didn't create much else, fair play to Wigan.

They could have pinched it and so could we. 

Weimann really poor decision making, Cornick will take time to settle but looked ok in linking up some bits first half.

Mehmeti overplays sometimes but showed a bit of his quality tonight, got us a point with that ball in for big Rob.

Another game unbeaten, people speaking like we're right in and amongst the top six, this team is growing and learning still.

We'd have thrown that game away in previous seasons! Another point on the board and on to Saturday.

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Spike said:

I agree to a degree, too many changes but I thought Mehmeti was a whole other level out wide. Bell does an amazing job running and chasing down but he doesn't have that cross in his bag and he isn't as confident running at a player from a standstill. I'd be interested to see Mehmeti, Bell and Sykes upfront with Bell in the middle, I reckon his closing down and ability to create space off of the ball would be interesting with Sykes and Mehmeti looking to cut inside and cause panic.

Conway in the middle would be crying out for those 2 wide

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Guys why are you talking about playoffs ? Be glad we stay up and we can build on this 16 remaing games to push for a better place next season. Our team has no quality for top 6 yet.

I'm just disappointed that we didn;t break into the top half. I think a top half finish this season would show a real change since the change of formation, tactics and signings. It would definitely make a great sales point to potential summer signings, to show we changed things up, brought in some new faces and turned the season around from a relegation fight to a respectable league position. Still, it's only one game and it's not a loss, earlier in the season Wigan would have come away with all three points so it's still an improvement. 

• Like 1
Just now, ProfitInMyPocket said:

Bar the two woodworks and a few wayward smashes across the box we didn't create much else, fair play to Wigan.

They could have pinched it and so could we. 

Weimann really poor decision making, Cornick will take time to settle but looked ok in linking up some bits first half.

Mehmeti overplays sometimes but showed a bit of his quality tonight, got us a point with that ball in for big Rob.

Another game unbeaten, people speaking like we're right in and amongst the top six, this team is growing and learning still.

We'd have thrown that game away in previous seasons! Another point on the board and on to Saturday.

Weimann the weak link. Was dross.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, maxjak said:

Yep me too...........can see a draw, or worse.   Put it down to City long term paranoia?

Bad luck City ............but the most predictable of results........it was always gonna be a draw?   Any talks of a late run to the play offs is a delusional dream, but a top ten finish is certainly feasible......which pre season would be regarded as progress?

Just now, Super said:

Hopefully people will stop the daft playoff talk now. We're a long way off although an improving team.

Yea, but I am more positive now than in December. At least even this game we had some moments when we pushed for a goal, not playing only the classic " non football" long balls forever like we do when Martin is on.

4 minutes ago, Andrew_V1 said:

If there was ever an advert for don’t change a winning team this was it. 

Please stop the playoff chat that performance was miles and miles off the required standards

In reality the play offs are probably beyond us this year, but we’re now 10 games unbeaten and recent performances against good sides have been very much play off standard. One slightly disappointing result - which all teams will have - doesn’t make that any less true. No play off chasing team will hit their peak level every week.

• Like 2

I confess I knew nothing about Mehmeti before the transfer rumors. Then saw the youtube video and was obviously excited about his talent. So purely based on the video and the skill he had, I made an assumption he would be a bit more laid back off the ball - so today it was great to see him press, harass and track back for the whole game. I was very impressed with hi. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
4 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm just disappointed that we didn;t break into the top half. I think a top half finish this season would show a real change since the change of formation, tactics and signings. It would definitely make a great sales point to potential summer signings, to show we changed things up, brought in some new faces and turned the season around from a relegation fight to a respectable league position. Still, it's only one game and it's not a loss, earlier in the season Wigan would have come away with all three points so it's still an improvement. 

Still 45 points to play for, we are still one of the form teams in the division, on a very good unbeaten run, and we had a decent transfer window.

I still expect us to finish in the top half.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

We were never going to get 10 wins from 16 so at least we can focus on a realistic aim of top half and continue to build for next season.

Soft gol conceded but fair result although we looked a bit more likely with couple of efforts on woodwork after the equaliser. 

Agree. A dose of realism tonight but without getting beat.

• Like 3

Disappointing we didn’t win after being 1-0 up, but a draw was a fair result. Looked like a soft goal to concede from my seat in the South Stand, but to be fair Wigan always looked dangerous and we lacked quality in the final third. The equaliser was coming - we were very lacklustre in the first 20 mins of the second half. 

• Like 2

Wigan more than deserved a point, looked very much like they wanted it more.

City very passive,

Wells and Bell barely touched the ball, not in the game and wandered around, same for Weimann who was woeful.

At least Cornick ran around a bit and Sykes got stuck into the game when he came on. They should start on saturday.

Scott just about average, didn't do enough and rightly subbed, but James and Williams very good.

Defenders all good.

Mehmeti good assist and hit post with a cross. Reminds me of Eliasson..

Vey disappointing and lacklustre performance, but 10 games undefeated.

Back to 16th.

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

We were never going to get 10 wins from 16 so at least we can focus on a realistic aim of top half and continue to build for next season.

Soft gol conceded but fair result although we looked a bit more likely with couple of efforts on woodwork after the equaliser. 

I accept the play off chat is probably a bit optimistic and I’m as guilty as any one.

But it’s also a bit weird to completely give up on it on the strength of one slightly disappointing draw. Still 45 points to play for.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

I accept the play off chat is probably a bit optimistic and I’m as guilty as any one.

But it’s also a bit weird to completely give up on it on the strength of one slightly disappointing draw. Still 45 points to play for.

Win against Sunderland on the weekend and I’m sure the play-off talk will re emerge.. Never say never of course but i would be absolutely shocked if we could win 10 or 11 out of the next 16 which is probably what would be needed to finish top 6. It would have to be a monumental effort.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, David Brent said:

We’re a counter attacking team, which I have no issue with at all.  But in order to counter, you have to be attacked.

Shame about the goal we conceded as Wigan offered little threat. Even from corners. 

I felt this on Saturday. Norwich had a lot of the ball but I felt it suited us. We always carry such a threat on the break. The way we’re set up now, games like tonight can actually be harder.

• Like 5
2 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Win against Sunderland on the weekend and I’m sure the play-off talk will re emerge.. Never say never of course but i would be absolutely shocked if we could win 10 or 11 out of the next 16 which is probably what would be needed to finish top 6. It would have to be a monumental effort.

It would, and I’m not pretending it’s likely, but if it’s going to happen, it’s more likely to happen to a team on a 10 game unbeaten run with all the confidence and momentum that goes with it.

I know, I’m a naive fool.