IGNORED

Wigan Athletic at home match thread

We don't have the cutting edge in possession and it shows. Add in Andi not match fit, no end product, and it was a disjointed performance.

Would have preferred Cornick on the right and Weimann through the middle, where the latter's press would have been a bit more consistent - not that Cornick did too much wrong, just think he needs to get a bit more match fit and then possibly moved across once a bit more comfortable and up to speed.

Anyhow - we go again, remain unbeaten, and in Nige we trust.

On the bright side, Wigan made me realise that we could be much, much worse.

I'm not quite as down as everyone else seems to be, I thought we were alright and decent value for a point with better chances to take all 3.

Wigan weren't bad. They played out wide a lot which meant Tanner and Pring struggled to get too far forwards. Combined with them having someone unfamiliar in front it wasn't a great combination.

I though Williams was really good, one of his best games I've seen. Mehmeti looks really sharp, and I thought Cornick again had quite a few neat touches in him although it'd have been nice if he saw more of the ball.

I thought we were better in open play, but they were dangerous from set pieces. Their deep line especially in the first half didn't do us many favors either and we struggled to play how we want to against them.

Great to be unbeaten, and I'm only slightly disappointed in the performance and that we didn't come away with a win. It was a tough game and some players looked pretty tired in the second half.

• Like 14
Just now, One Team said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion but I think we’ve looked better without Weinmann in the team. His reintroduction today made us look weaker and his passing and crossing were off. A great player of course but will be interesting to see how we adjust him back in. 

I think he's still missing match sharpness 1T, he won't get it sat on the bench but we missed Sykes tonight as did Tanner.

• Like 3

Can’t understand why we didn’t start the strongest team & rest them 2nd half.

Started well, some decent touches & attempts but way below recent standards, although TBF Wigan dug in & made it difficult.

Bell & Sykes not given enough time to affect the game when coming on.

Hard to say it but didn’t rate Weimann tonight.

Cornick good touches and worked hard in the press but felt erratic in possession.

Frustrating game where we should have done better.

Mehmetti looks a baller 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, One Team said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion but I think we’ve looked better without Weinmann in the team. His reintroduction today made us look weaker and his passing and crossing were off. A great player of course but will be interesting to see how we adjust him back in. 

He certainly struggled as a winger and looked a bit lost tonight.....

1 minute ago, Superjack said:

Cornick for me. Not going to judge on his first full game, but tonight he was like Martin without the good stuff.

Every time Max took a goal kick he was just strolling past Matty James in his own half. 

Needs to do better.

Will take time, adjusting. Had some good touches as he did on Saturday. Looked rusty to me. Reminds me of Kodjia a bit but not as good.

Mehmeti took his chance tonight. My word, I’m a big fan of twinkle toes already. He has to start at Sunderland.

Cornick looked like he’s lacking match fitness and Weimann was wasted on the right IMO. 

Scott should’ve scored from his free header, Mehmeti was unlucky with his cross shot. Both of which hit the woodwork for those who weren’t there. 

Wigan were exactly what I thought they’d be — a tough nut to crack. They were organised and wasted time. 

I thought we zipped it around well at times, but struggled to break them down. Point was a fair result. 

• Like 5

I thought Wigan put in a really solid away performance today. They didn't get rattled when we pressed, they pressed us well and crowded the midfield when we had the ball, particularly Tiehi in what I still call the Makelele role.

Weimann... I know he could be excised for being rusty, but to fluff FOUR great opportunities from inside the box would be inexcusable for any player in our squad. Yes he timed his runs to get there in the first place, but he had to find a red shirt jmfor at least one of those.

Besides Wigan and Andi, I thought City played with the right attitude. We wanted to win the game but didn't have the quality in the final third.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1
38 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I accept the play off chat is probably a bit optimistic and I’m as guilty as any one.

But it’s also a bit weird to completely give up on it on the strength of one slightly disappointing draw. Still 45 points to play for.

It’s really not weird. Before tonight we needed 10 wins from 16. Not going to happen in this league unless you are Burnley. Now we need 10 wins from 15 after winning 10 of 31 ?. We will go through a poor run again no doubt before end of season. But as long as we continue to improve long term then that’s main thing. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Cornick for me. Not going to judge on his first full game, but tonight he was like Martin without the good stuff.

Every time Max took a goal kick he was just strolling past Matty James in his own half. 

Needs to do better.

Just think we need to give him time just so he can get on everyone’s wave length, he’s going to like balls played through in different ways, and times his runs differently to Nakhi and likewise know where players are going to be off of him for the flicks and little passes.

Reasonable enough tonight, softish goal to concede against a predictable threat. One loss of concentration.

• Hmmm 1
3 minutes ago, Vidal said:

Will take time, adjusting. Had some good touches as he did on Saturday. Looked rusty to me. Reminds me of Kodjia a bit but not as good.

Oh don't get me wrong, not hanging him out to dry after his first 90 mins.

But we desperately needed an outlet up front, and he should have provided it. 

Wasn't sorry to see Martin go, but put him in instead of Cornick in the first 30 mins of that second half and we win imo. Was delighted and relieved when Nahki replaced him.

• Confused 1

Its VERY early days for Cornick so i will reserve judgement, however the early glimpses don't fill me with much enthusiasm. He certainly doesn't look like a central striker and needs time in his comfortable position in the wide area of a front 3.

Weimann struggles when he's got time to think about what he's going to do. He's more of an instinctive player rather than an intelligent user of the ball.

I think a front 3 of Sykes, Wells and Mehmeti is our best option at present

• Like 2

Just home. Disappointing result but Wigan deserved the point on the day. Was hoping at half time Wigan would have to come forward and we would catch them. We were however extremely passive and no surprise at all when we conceded. After that a much better match and thought we played a fair bit better. Biggest down was how we came out from the break, but 40 points, we move on to the next one.

• Like 1