IGNORED

Wigan Athletic at home match thread

A frustrating game that one, I think Wigan did a good job of applying the press on us at times, made it difficult to build up any kind of play. Loss of points comes down to poor defending, I mean we held Norwich off at 1-0 but today a sloppy bit of defending was the difference. 

Immediate reflections on that…..low quality game, a draw was about right, either team could have nicked it, we didn’t create much, kind of game we would have lost a while back, poor goal for us to concede, thought Scotty and in glimpses Anis looked impressive.

Ten unbeaten on to the next one. 

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Quick thoughts for the night:

Positives: Still unbeaten - Joe Williams, best performance in a City shirt? - Mehmeti looks a real talent - Scott still not suspended

Negatives: Well it's not a result for a play off chasing team (:whistle2:) - switched off badly for their goal, so soft - Weimann rusty, missed Sykes' recent levels 

Williams?

ffs

Well look, it’s a bit disappointing. But we were due a slightly dud performance and it’s positive that we got a draw not a 1-0 or 2-1 loss. 

And personally it’s great to be frustrated that our somewhat unlikely play off campaign has faltered rather than sinking towards relegation.

You never know, beat Sunderland and it looks a great result again!

2 minutes ago, Andrew_V1 said:

If there was ever an advert for don’t change a winning team this was it. 

Please stop the playoff chat that performance was miles and miles off the required standards

Yep miles off. Mid table team.

Just now, Bris Red said:

Take a point. In reality we are still way off the pace in regards to the play-offs IMO. I still stand by what i said a few days ago that a top 12 finish would be a decent season given our circumstances.

I would take mid table mediocrity.

1 minute ago, Andrew_V1 said:

If there was ever an advert for don’t change a winning team this was it. 

Please stop the playoff chat that performance was miles and miles off the required standards

I agree to a degree, too many changes but I thought Mehmeti was a whole other level out wide. Bell does an amazing job running and chasing down but he doesn't have that cross in his bag and he isn't as confident running at a player from a standstill. I'd be interested to see Mehmeti, Bell and Sykes upfront with Bell in the middle, I reckon his closing down and ability to create space off of the ball would be interesting with Sykes and Mehmeti looking to cut inside and cause panic.

2 minutes ago, Mihai said:

Guys why are you talking about playoffs ? Be glad we stay up and we can build on this 16 remaing games to push for a better place next season. Our team has no quality for top 6 yet.

Hopefully people will stop the daft playoff talk now. We're a long way off although an improving team.

• Like 5

9 unbeaten, in with a real shout to finish top 10, and rotated ourselves well considering wells Sykes and bell are far more suited to Sunderland away than Wigan at home. 

Theyve scored a truly shite goal and any chance came from deflections along the way. Hit the underside of the bar and inside of the post straight after  

Feels like some just want to find something to moan about after having it so good for a few months. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1