IGNORED

Wigan Athletic at home match thread

18 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Oh don't get me wrong, not hanging him out to dry after his first 90 mins.

But we desperately needed an outlet up front, and he should have provided it. 

Wasn't sorry to see Martin go, but put him in instead of Cornick in the first 30 mins of that second half and we win imo. Was delighted and relieved when Nahki replaced him.

What nonsense, Martin was 6th choice for a reason

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1
4 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I’m still not 100% convinced Max O’Leary is the answer for us. I know the results have really picked up, but I don’t get the impression he’s the future for us going forward.

In fairness he saved us a point at the end with a great save.  Wasn’t as dominant in the air tonight but thought that was more down to Wigan’s excellent delivery.  He’s done well but like you, is there better out there in the summer.

• Hmmm 1
3 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

In fairness he saved us a point at the end with a great save.  Wasn’t as dominant in the air tonight but thought that was more down to Wigan’s excellent delivery.  He’s done well but like you, is there better out there in the summer.

Yes, that seemed to happen out of the blue. It was a decent save.

I’m still not convinced though, he was pretty hopeless coming out of his area tonight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

We’ll need two whatever & unless we decide we are keeping the Russian chap (& nothing to base that on yet) then he’ll surely get offered a new deal.

With one exception I thought Wigan’s set piece delivery was excellent & Power the no. 8 is OoC in the summer, I believe..

Whilst the delivery was good, they’re a very tall side too, we did well to avoid conceding at some many corners when Atkinson aside all our players seemed to be marking a taller opponent.

• Like 2

I think setting up the way they did Wigan would have ground out a point at pretty much any other team in the Championship tonight. Not a pretty game to watch but we didn’t lose it. We looked quite likely to go on and win it after they scored as well. Still signs of progress tonight if not as emphatic as recent weeks. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 3

We were pretty ineffectual up front tonight. Cornick had very little to play off, but at least looks more mobile than Martin. Weimann looked rusty and we know he’s better through the middle than out wide. Mehmeti showed a lot of promise and might even be the answer to who eventually replaces Scott. Talking of whom, he had one of his less inspired performances today even if he had a header hit the bar. Prong was also a little below par today by his high standards recently. The one player who really stood out for me tonight was Joe Williams. Cleared up at the back, provided an outlet in midfield and tried to drive forward when he had the ball. One of his best performances in a City shirt.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

We were pretty ineffectual up front tonight. Cornick had very little to play off, but at least looks more mobile than Martin. Weimann looked rusty and we know he’s better through the middle than out wide. Mehmeti showed a lot of promise and might even be the answer to who eventually replaces Scott. Talking of whom, he had one of his less inspired performances today even if he had a header hit the bar. Prong was also a little below par today by his high standards recently. The one player who really stood out for me tonight was Joe Williams. Cleared up at the back, provided an outlet in midfield and tried to drive forward when he had the ball. One of his best performances in a City shirt.

Hopefully Benarous will be the replacement for Scott when fit. 

Amazes me how people have assumed that we will need to sign a replacement, when if his injury is properly managed, we may already have an equally exciting prospect ready to go.

• Like 1

Wigan were hard. Would be difficult opponents for any team in this League with their display. Physical, battled well and defended well so credit where it's due. They'll stay up if they play like that most weeks.

Today though I thought we were slow and lethargic. Never got going really. Maybe Saturday's game took it out of us a bit. However learned a few things tonight. Weimann is not a starter in a 433 in my eyes, as he disrupts our fluidity going forwards. He is far better in a counter attacking side. 

We missed Naismith's forward passes and creativity in the centre of Midfield. 

Cornick is not a CF and playing long balls up to him doesn't work and isn't his style of play.

Mehmeti is a baller.

We've learned a lot and hopefully Nigel has. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
3 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Hopefully Benarous will be the replacement for Scott when fit. 

Amazes me how people have assumed that we will need to sign a replacement, when if his injury is properly managed, we may already have an equally exciting prospect ready to go.

Benarous is potential. By comparison Mehmeti has actually delivered at League One level. The question is whether he can do the same at this level.

16 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Wigan were hard. Would be difficult opponents for any team in this League with their display. Physical, battled well and defended well so credit where it's due. They'll stay up if they play like that most weeks.

Today though I thought we were slow and lethargic. Never got going really. Maybe Saturday's game took it out of us a bit. However learned a few things tonight. Weimann is not a starter in a 433 in my eyes, as he disrupts our fluidity going forwards. He is far better in a counter attacking side. 

We missed Naismith's forward passes and creativity in the centre of Midfield. 

Cornick is not a CF and playing long balls up to him doesn't work and isn't his style of play.

Mehmeti is a baller.

We've learned a lot and hopefully Nigel has. 

Agree with the bulk of this although Weimann in a 4-3-3, wouldn't give up on that yet.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree with the bulk of this although Weimann in a 4-3-3, wouldn't give up on that yet.

Just thought our fluidity up front with Weimann constantly cutting inside or running into traffic/passing backwards slowed us down massively tonight. Sykes by comparison is much more direct and that suits us more.

Away from home Weimann might be a good option but at home against sides sitting behind the ball he isn't a starter for me in the attacking areas at the moment.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Edgy Red said:

Its VERY early days for Cornick so i will reserve judgement, however the early glimpses don't fill me with much enthusiasm. He certainly doesn't look like a central striker and needs time in his comfortable position in the wide area of a front 3.

Weimann struggles when he's got time to think about what he's going to do. He's more of an instinctive player rather than an intelligent user of the ball.

I think a front 3 of Sykes, Wells and Mehmeti is our best option at present

I thought Cornick was fine, solid debut.

He’s come from a side that play frantic football, where everything is about moving the ball forwards and picking up bits a pieces.  He will adjust to our style, ideally he wants to play somewhere halfway between CF and RF, kinda how Semenyo played just before he left…ie lopsided.

• Like 1

Don't know if mentioned already but so many strange errors yesterday we did two airshot attempts at clearances where the ball whacked the standing leg of Atkinson and one other, can't remember who. There were also a few sliced clearances and lofty hooks clear. Not sure why.

9 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

I think setting up the way they did Wigan would have ground out a point at pretty much any other team in the Championship tonight. Not a pretty game to watch but we didn’t lose it. We looked quite likely to go on and win it after they scored as well. Still signs of progress tonight if not as emphatic as recent weeks. 

Just had to google emphatic. means "expressing something forcibly and clearly" You must of attended a better school than me. Agree there were many positives to be taken from the highlights that I looked at. 

Pearson has made it clear that they see something in Cornick that others have not as regards being a central striker so patience will be needed this season. Sykes would have been few peoples first choice a couple of months ago but he has now adapted to our system albeit helped by the formation change. Anis will take time and impressive as he was on occasions I sensed that Cam was a little exposed (and hesitant to make surging runs) by Anis hugging the touch line, although in fairness  it did allow a good out-ball from Vyner in particular for a counter attack. We certainly missed the Tanner/Sykes combo from the start but we are a team in transition and now is too early to make judgement on several players.

10 hours ago, Lew-T said:

I’m still not 100% convinced Max O’Leary is the answer for us. I know the results have really picked up, but I don’t get the impression he’s the future for us going forward.

Max has been exceptional recently, but last night would have been a nightmare for any goalkeeper.  At times last night there were at least fifteen players in the six-yard box - I defy any goalkeeper to have a comfortable night when their chances of getting near the ball at set pieces are virtually nil. And whenever Max was in possession of the ball, Wigan were closing us down immediately, leaving him with the only quick option of a long punt downfield.  That’s not the way we play, so he was right to delay distribution until options were available.

Give the bloke some credit - how many goals have we conceded recently?  And whatever happened to ‘he’s one of our own’.  In Zak and Max’s cases that seems to mean that they have more to prove.

• Like 3

Now the dust has settled and my disappointment waning , what do I think ?
It was a disappointing performance, didn't create enough, didn't move the ball quickly enough through the game and didn't get them turning nearly enough.  While we did try to hit Mehmeti early, but seemed unaware you could do it for other players too. They were a big old lot and I wanted to hit the space behind the fullbacks more, we seem very timid in hitting those passes with Naismith not in the team. With Bell on near the end he was begging for that ball over the top, it never came. 

No stand out performance for me last night, but Mehmeti caught the eye. Great assist and a couple of runs that didn't quite have an end product. The rest were solid enough , Connick did a lot of pointless running but I'm sure with games he will tune in to our press etc.

The main thing that cost us points was a decent Wigan side. Whether they will keep that effort up , we will see, but 2 away draws and a big win over Huddersfield suggests Maloney is a good fit. On last night I think they will pull clear of trouble, big strong and athletic throughout the team and caused us plenty of problems. 

Different game Saturday, hopefully we can get our game going and with a couple of changes can get something from Sunderland 

• Like 1