IGNORED

Security In Singing Section

One Team

I was in S82 and had no idea what was going on. Seemed from where I was like the security guy didn’t like people celebrating a goal, which is bizarre.

I can understand why they check tickets to get into our section. Lots of kids want to go in there and it would be massively over populated if they didn’t. I have no issue with it at all. As for checking them as you approach the stadium, it’s the lack of consistency that I find strange. Sometimes they check, sometimes they don’t, and I go through the same entrance by KFC UPevery week. Very strange

As a general point, I’ve got to know the stewards near where I stand and have no issues with any of them at all. Most of them are polite, friendly and helpful and ‘get it’. As long as you don’t act like an obnoxious idiot, in general there are no problems. This private security firm seem like a different breed though… they seem like a completely unnecessary solution to a problem that never existed on the first place 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Red94 said:

Funny how the overweight ‘steward’ with the beard who was causing trouble in the singing section is a gas head. 

Is that correct? If we are thinking of the same individual he was a security guard, not steward. 

As I’ve said on this thread, the stewards weren’t an issue. In fact one I spoke to after it happened thought the security guards being in there was causing more issues than it was (presumably) set up to resolve.

11 hours ago, 2015 said:

Some tosser from Winterstoke Road entrance shouting at people Saturday and Today to show their tickets. Get a proper job mate, we wouldn't be walking to the Ground for no reason. Jobsworths everywhere 

Agreed. May not have a ticket but could be going to the City shop or just having a drink at one of the outside places.

16 minutes ago, One Team said:

Be interesting to see what response one would get saying that you have no ticket and just want to go to the shop.

I'm not sure they'd have any legal authority to stop or detain anyone, as the route around the stadium along the back of the Lansdown Stand (Marina Dolman Way is it?) is publically accessible which I think - and I could be wrong, means that if they wanted to stop people to check tickets etc, they'd need to put a fixed barrier up to prevent people from just wandering through, that would need to be in place permanently. 

I'm sure someone with some knowledge of the legal positon will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong, but that was my assumption. 

2 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I'm not sure they'd have any legal authority to stop or detain anyone, as the route around the stadium along the back of the Lansdown Stand (Marina Dolman Way is it?) is publically accessible which I think - and I could be wrong, means that if they wanted to stop people to check tickets etc, they'd need to put a fixed barrier up to prevent people from just wandering through, that would need to be in place permanently. 

I'm sure someone with some knowledge of the legal positon will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong, but that was my assumption. 

As far as I’m aware, the entire footprint is private property but public access is granted whenever there isn’t an event on. There’s a sign on the Raynes Rd entrance giving the legal spiel if - I can be arsed to walk around the corner I’ll post a pic of it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Is that correct? If we are thinking of the same individual he was a security guard, not steward. 

As I’ve said on this thread, the stewards weren’t an issue. In fact one I spoke to after it happened thought the security guards being in there was causing more issues than it was (presumably) set up to resolve.

Yes, his pictures have been posted on a few Facebook groups. 

They are always causing trouble the standard stewards are normally spot on 

2 hours ago, One Team said:

Be interesting to see what response one would get saying that you have no ticket and just want to go to the shop.

Don’t think they would stop anyone from doing that. They also keep lost property in the shop, so there’s another excuse..

It’s only a token gesture. I walk straight past them every game and not once have I been stopped.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Hankey said:

What’s the issue with showing your ticket? No different to being on a train/airplane/bus ect

Exactly 

14 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

What about you walk up the steps in B Block to be greeted with a girl in a vest I personally was with my 6 year old grandson she,asked for my ticket I said how the **** do you think I got through the turnstiles .

Getting through the turnstiles is irrelevant. It’s where you go after the turnstiles that counts. Unfortunately there are quite a few people who buy tickets for one area and then decide to go and sit / stand somewhere else. A lot of people forget how progressive the redevelopment of Ashton Gate is, as the concours runs under three stands without interruption. This means supporters who sit in different stands can meet up before the match for a drink and a chat. The downside is what I mentioned - some people who have the “I can go where I want attitude”. Try going to Old Trafford. There everything is divided into small sections and once you’re in your section you  can’t move around the ground. This type of segregation could have been introduced with the redevelopment but SL decided to trust the supporters. Unfortunately this trust is being betrayed by a significant minority of fans. 

PS - if you really said “how the **** do you think I got through the turnstiles” then that’s being extremely rude to someone who was doing their job. Perhaps you could apologise the next time you go 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Exactly 

Getting through the turnstiles is irrelevant. It’s where you go after the turnstiles that counts. Unfortunately there are quite a few people who buy tickets for one area and then decide to go and sit / stand somewhere else. A lot of people forget how progressive the redevelopment of Ashton Gate is, as the concours runs under three stands without interruption. This means supporters who sit in different stands can meet up before the match for a drink and a chat. The downside is what I mentioned - some people who have the “I can go where I want attitude”. Try going to Old Trafford. There everything is divided into small sections and once you’re in your section you  can’t move around the ground. This type of segregation could have been introduced with the redevelopment but SL decided to trust the supporters. Unfortunately this trust is being betrayed by a significant minority of fans. 

PS - if you really said “how the **** do you think I got through the turnstiles” then that’s being extremely rude to someone who was doing their job. Perhaps you could apologise the next time you go 

I'm getting at these jobsworths being over zealous read my post again was with my grandson hes no threat not gonna play up in A block is he bar wave his scarf when sat down these Hitler's walking up an down B block dragging young kids out I pay to watch the games not to see their asses go up and down blocking my view .

2 hours ago, Cityboy1954 said:

I'm getting at these jobsworths being over zealous read my post again was with my grandson hes no threat not gonna play up in A block is he bar wave his scarf when sat down these Hitler's walking up an down B block dragging young kids out I pay to watch the games not to see their asses go up and down blocking my view .

Read my post again. Getting through the turnstiles is irrelevant as there are too many people who think they can buy a ticket for one area and then go somewhere else. That’s why the steward asked to see your ticket. She isn’t a jobsworth, she’s a person doing what she was employed to do. If people could be trusted there would be no need for stewards. The fact that you said  “how the **** do you think I got through the turnstiles” is disgraceful. I suggested you apologise to her the next time you go, but what about the example you’re setting to your 6 year old grandson? Not a good example is it?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Read my post again. Getting through the turnstiles is irrelevant as there are too many people who think they can buy a ticket for one area and then go somewhere else. That’s why the steward asked to see your ticket. She isn’t a jobsworth, she’s a person doing what she was employed to do. If people could be trusted there would be no need for stewards. The fact that you said  “how the **** do you think I got through the turnstiles” is disgraceful. I suggested you apologise to her the next time you go, but what about the example you’re setting to your 6 year old grandson? Not a good example is it?

So how about me then, 56 and no threat to anyone.  Walk up the steps with a Clarke pie in one hand and a tea in the other. Season ticket is in my wallet and i then get by asked by a kid to show her my ticket. I said I've been sitting in my seat for years I know where I'm going and carried on walking.  Then she starts shouting at me and i refused a second time,  am in the wrong as well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

So how about me then, 56 and no threat to anyone.  Walk up the steps with a Clarke pie in one hand and a tea in the other. Season ticket is in my wallet and i then get by asked by a kid to show her my ticket. I said I've been sitting in my seat for years I know where I'm going and carried on walking.  Then she starts shouting at me and i refused a second time,  am in the wrong as well.

Sounds like some of our stewards or more accurately security are a problem but we also seem to have an issue with people migrating to the block and obviously they got wise to Block specific ticket checks and migrate via other parts of the stand.

In other words if they want to go into that block they need to have season tickets or tickets for it- but at the same time it does sound like some are ott, need to cool it a little.

Whether the searches should be more targeted well this is another layer.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

15 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

What I tend to do is pass them the stuff that's in my hand to get my ticket out, once they realise it's going to take a minute to get the ticket out and there is a large queue behind they tend to wave through.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

Your attitude sums up the problem. The person who asked you to show your ticket had probably never met you before, so how did she know you’ve been sitting in your seat for years? Also age is not a factor. You seem to think that being 56 is ok but a steward who is young is just a “kid”.  It was the fact that you carried on walking that caused the problem. If you bother to read my posts properly, instead of having a strop, you’ll understand the point I’m trying to make. There is a significant minority of supporters who can’t be trusted which is why the club employs stewards to check tickets. If you don’t like being asked to show your ticket, don’t blame the stewards. Blame the “I can do what I want” fans who force the club to employ the stewards 

PS - well done for buying a Clarks pie 

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 7

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

Playing devil's advocate in this instance she wouldn't know whether it was your first or your thousandth visit 

It's because of people not sitting in the correct seats that is the cause for the additional checks 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Playing devil's advocate in this instance she wouldn't know whether it was your first or your thousandth visit 

It's because of people not sitting in the correct seats that is the cause for the additional checks 

All down to training though, targeting the wrong age groups I'm afraid