IGNORED

Wiemann is not a wide man

old_eastender

5 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He's not yet fully match fit, IMO.

I think this is the issue here. He has been made Captain so pretty much nailed on to start, but how does Pearson shoe him into a side which has done well without him? He didn't play in his best position last night and wasn't match fit, and it showed. 

I think we have been spoilt by him being so naturally fit and he seems to recover fast from injuries, hopefully he can progress quickly again but age catches everyone sooner or later.

29 minutes ago, Vidal said:

He is a runner who likes to get in behind, that’s his strength….he isn’t creative, a good passer or someone who is a natural goalscorer (last season being the anomaly). Playing him against a side like Wigan who sit deep didn’t make much sense to me.

He got in fairness in some cracking positions, but flashed balls across the box seemingly not having a clue who was there.  That is about partnerships as much as anything. Maybe Bell takes a risk, attacks the six yard line and gets on the end of one or two of them, don’t know. Either way, it was frustrating! 

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

He got in fairness in some cracking positions, but flashed balls across the box seemingly not having a clue who was there.  That is about partnerships as much as anything. Maybe Bell takes a risk, attacks the six yard line and gets on the end of one or two of them, don’t know. Either way, it was frustrating! 

No, it's about getting your head up and looking to see who is available where, unfortunately this is not one of Andi's strong points

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

He's not yet fully match fit, IMO.

He was out injured for ages, no surprise that he was off the pace. His crossing was particularly poor. The hour or so that he got will really benefit him tho ‘miles in the legs’ is essential when coming back from injury.

9 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

He's been made Club Captain. That's slightly different to match captain. If he plays then yes he'll wear the armband, but it doesn't automatically mean he'll play.

Bentley was Club Captain for the whole time he was on the bench this season. 

Thank you, the difference didn't register with me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I assume he also texts everyone the meeting time on Friday night, and sorts the sandwiches for the away team. Probably also does the Christmas raffle - although he's dodged that this year.

Robbing the other team of their pound coins after the game, under the pretense they actually have a chance of winning.B3B11368-B612-49D9-862A-3C19D86E40F6.jpeg.c0b81cd0514cfc78003e6dd01867a2f7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Percy Pig said:

I think, and it is only think as I don't have the stats or some amazing artwork to back it up (You put us all to shame, Fevs), that Weimann is too different to Sykes to suit our established pattern of play. If he is to play wide right then we are going to need to adjust slightly.

Over the last few months (The 4-3-3 era, let's say) we've primarily attacked down the left with Semenyo and Bell charging forward with the ball and looking to beat a fullback on the outside. Sykes on the other side has tended to cut inside and attack the back post when that happens. 

Weimann has always made "inside out" runs, especially when playing central. His stock run is to go around the right forward and into the channel between LCB and LB of the opposition. (I can barely think of a goal of his that wasn't scored from the right hand side of the box!) When his starting position is wider he tends to end up playing as an out and out winger and with Mehmeti hugging the left touchline it just left Cornick isolated in the box.

If it was Wells playing on the left of the three, it might have been a little bit better. 

One other "issue" with Weimann playing right is he makes so many positive and good runs that it's almost impossible not to give him the ball all the time. I felt last night we needed to recycle out to the left more often, Mehmeti and Pring looked fairly dangerous down that side when we did but too often Andi made a great run and we went down his side. Sykes is very good at standing still and sucking players in then playing it to Tanner who shifts it central and then we move it out the other side. I personally think that little pattern has been a major success story since going to 4-3-3

He's still class, even if he had a stinker last night. 

I talk about this in this weeks OSIB, just recorded.

B29950DF-9F6B-4099-822B-9E60096DD9F8.jpeg.eb09f92ce7b0060ca604ddab77207e97.jpeg

with Semenyo in the line-up we played a bit lop-sided, Semenyo closer to Wells, Sykes on the right, Pring space to get forward.  Scott naturally drifts left so he can go either way.

71C51549-8CE0-4D25-A171-29389E778E8C.jpeg.595d2d8a3be1168bb7b6ebb42f2df70c.jpeg

Last night, spaced out, but stopped Pring going on the outside.  He had to take up positions infield at times but it also allowed Atkinson to drive forward when they marked Pring out wide.  So pros and cons.

What I’d like to see is the lop-sided set up being able to flex more.

5561E0ED-5712-4CB2-B834-90A048A8CD05.jpeg.78dca08be3c2c33e327c5dda94db270c.jpeg

With the above, Weimann becomes the narrower player, which probably suits him more.  Cornick could also play that if Wells is CF, as he likes being in that mid-position too.

The game is obviously fluid, but one of my fears of 433 is when the wide forwards both play wide.  I think one needs to try to play narrower, closer to the other CF.

We also saw how both Cornick and Wells had to try to cover a lot of ground w/o the ball when Wigan played out from the back.  Instead of Weimann coming across to help as Wigan moved it towards their right, Scott got dragged in to help, which meant James and Williams suddenly had big distances between them and Scott / Forwards.  They did suss it out, but it gave Wigan confidence for that spell after h-t, especially with Lang knowing he could drift into those spaces infield from Pring, but not covered by James or Williams.

Well what is he, if wor Weimann's not a wideman? 

Could he share no.9 duties with Wells? His preferred position, after all, though not necessarily his best - a freer role in behind which allows him to arrive in the box unmarked was how he scored so many last season. He demonstrated real instinct for space and being in the right place at the right time. Was the W-S-M formation key to that though? What now for Weimann without his S&M? Steady! 

And fwiw, I'm not convinced by Cornick in a central position either but it's early days for him, tbf. 

Still got Conway to come back too - that'll complicate things further - and his form before injury surely puts him in a matchday squad at least, if not the starting 11. 

Wor Weimann might not even make the bench then - club captain consigned to the stiffs! And if he plays like did last night, he won't be missed - anonymous, apart from when he was f!k ing up. Deary me. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 1