IGNORED

Sunderland away match thread

I need to go for a lay down, before I do…… a great team performance, which was certainly worth at least a point, Clarke’s goal was well taken but we restricted them throughout, at last a penalty and Wells despatched it confidently. Thank you BCFC for a very well deserved point.

ESPECIAL HUGE APPLAUSE FOR THE 1200 CITY FANS IN ATTENDANCE, YOU WERE LOAD AND PROUD ALL GAME, WELL DONE ONE AND ALL, HAVE A GREAT NIGHT AND A SAFE JOURNEY BACK.

NPs 100th game in charge marked with a very spirited and confident City performance which largely nullified SAFC.

Could take me several hours to recover. YOU REDS!  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

Thought that was a fairly odd attacking performance. Mehmeti was dangerous but too often trying to do it himself rather than pass - you might have been the best player in the game in League 1 - but here you're passing to competent players.

Other than that we were just pretty toothless. Got in the box but Sykes seemed shot shy today. Bell and Cornick moved around alot but Bell couldn't get in the game and Cornick I'm far from sold on. 

Wells was ok but looked leggy.

Says a bit that it was a fullback who won the penalty, and Wells did convert it with aplomb.

In the end it goes down as a well fought draw. Not a bad performance or result overall. We were good in midfield and Kalas played well. O'Leary continues his good form as well. Organised and quite prickly, definitely didn't give Sunderland a comfortable or respectful afternoon.

Ps. Given O'Nien got just a yellow for piggy-backing Scott does this mean all players now get one permitted piggy-back in a game?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Thought that was a fairly odd attacking performance. Mehmeti was dangerous but too often trying to do it himself rather than pass - you might have been the best player in the game in League 1 - but here you're passing to competent players.

Other than that we were just pretty toothless. Got in the box but Sykes seemed shot shy today. Bell and Cornick moved around alot but Bell couldn't get in the game and Cornick I'm far from sold on. 

Wells was ok but looked leggy.

Says a bit that it was a fullback who won the penalty, and Wells did convert it with aplomb.

In the end it goes down as a well fought draw. Not a bad performance or result overall. We were good in midfield and Kalas played well. O'Leary continues his good form as well. Organised and quite prickly, definitely didn't give Sunderland a comfortable or respectful afternoon.

Ps. Given O'Nien got just a yellow for piggy-backing Scott does this mean all players now get one permitted piggy-back in a game?

Got to give Mehmeti chance to learn, you’ve got to allow the maverick players to do their thing, that’s why you bring them in for that something different.

• Like 7
  • Flames 1
2 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Got to give Mehmeti chance to learn, you’ve got to allow the maverick players to do their thing, that’s why you bring them in for that something different.

Agreed. I've not said he should be dropped or anything. I just think that what he needs to learn, in time, is that he's playing both with and against better players now, and so can't, and doesn't need to, do everything himself.

His runs are brilliant, and he sucks defenders towards him creating space for teammates. He needs to sometimes pass to those teammates rather than shoot. Not every time, but sometimes. That's what I think he needs to learn.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, ExiledAjax said:

Agreed. I've not said he should be dropped or anything. I just think that what he needs to learn, in time, is that he's playing both with and against better players now, and so can't, and doesn't need to, do everything himself.

His runs are brilliant, and he sucks defenders towards him creating space for teammates. He needs to sometimes pass to those teammates rather than shoot. Not every time, but sometimes. That's what I think he needs to learn.

We're Bristol City.....we don't buy the finished article. He will be a very good player for us in time.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1