IGNORED

Sunderland away match thread

26 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Agreed. I've not said he should be dropped or anything. I just think that what he needs to learn, in time, is that he's playing both with and against better players now, and so can't, and doesn't need to, do everything himself.

His runs are brilliant, and he sucks defenders towards him creating space for teammates. He needs to sometimes pass to those teammates rather than shoot. Not every time, but sometimes. That's what I think he needs to learn.

To be fair to the lad ,he made an amazing run down the left leaving a couple of Sunderland in his wake only to put a superb ball right across the goal but not one of the other strikers were there to tap it home

55 minutes ago, Spike said:

Referee bowed to pressure there. This midfield looks tired, Williams is struggling to run when he needs to James has run himself into the ground trying to make something happen and despite so many attackers we can't craft a solid chance other than keeping on crossing and hoping, we need some of that intricate passing in the final third.

Reading it back now…Thanks for your sanity in your earlier posts. ??????

Thought the subs brought energy, and once we found our feet we dominated large parts of the last 10 + injury time.

Williams and James were bloody good today, no wonder they were knackered.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

Alongside Nahki Wells in the dictionary - balls of steel. 
Well done Nahki. 
Big shout out to the squad, the coaching staff and the mad City hordes !

Wish Rob a speedy recovery. Kalas could be back at just the right moment.

Agreed.

Not sure if Joe Low can be recalled from Walsall ?

Probably a fair result. I think we were two very evenly matched teams and neither side looked like playoff contenders. 

I was fuming with Sykes when he did what Weimann was guilty of v Wigan and spurned a really good chance. He could have been one v one and slotted it in but went too wide and played a shocking pass. Next thing you know, we're 1-0 down. 

I wasn't sure about the pen decision either. But hey, we've had loads of gutting games like that go against us and it's nice for our lot to go home happy.

Big credit to Nige and Co keeping this run going. It would be amazing to still be unbeaten and coming off a win when Man City come to town.

18 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Things were looking so ominous.

First, the bad weather grounded flights to the North East.

Then. Atkinson went off injured early in the game.

Next Sunderland go one up.

But . . .

cue the long overdue penalty in late added-on time.

Coolly dispatched by Wells and . . .

wild celebrations at the away end in the Stadium of Light and in thousands of homes, inhabited by City supporters, worldwide.

The unbeaten run continues.

What a wonderful feeling.

And the gas lose ?

Good to hear NP on Radio Bristol being so positive. He's gutted for Rob Atkinson - although not sure how serious it is - as he feels that he, Vyner, Tanner and Pring have been outstanding in recent matches after a few difficult patches earlier in the season.

In my opinion its very good to have a player with Kalas's experience ready to step in. Looked assured today I thought.

4 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Big shout out to the squad, the coaching staff and the mad City hordes !

I know half a dozen mad keen City fans, now OAP's, who were up there today.

Following City away like they've done for more than 45 years.

With that late penalty they're going to really enjoy themselves up there tonight, as they well deserve to!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1
9 minutes ago, mozo said:

Probably a fair result. I think we were two very evenly matched teams and neither side looked like playoff contenders. 

I was fuming with Sykes when he did what Weimann was guilty of v Wigan and spurned a really good chance. He could have been one v one and slotted it in but went too wide and played a shocking pass. Next thing you know, we're 1-0 down. 

I wasn't sure about the pen decision either. But hey, we've had loads of gutting games like that go against us and it's nice for our lot to go home happy.

Big credit to Nige and Co keeping this run going. It would be amazing to still be unbeaten and coming off a win when Man City come to town.

Thought the pen we got was less clear cut than the one we didn't get.