IGNORED

Sunderland away match thread

2 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

They're still pissed off about our draw with Cov in THAT game in '77 which sent them down.

They’ve always hated Coventry and Jimmy Hill for that, but in actual fact, they had nobody to blame but themselves. Their fate was in their own hands that evening but they blew it, handing us the opportunity to survive instead.

18 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Our longest trip of the season at circa 295 miles each way from BS3. Huge shout out to the traveling Cider Army. Remember you cannot take any coins in with you, you will be searched, coins removed and given to charity.

Will be a noisy afternoon Sunderland have a league-leading average home attendance of 38,614.

We last met them back in August for our first home game of the season, which they won 3-2:

Our record over the seasons - won 17, lost 16 and drawn 14. Over the years there have often been a fair few goals when we’ve played each other. In both the FA cup in 1964 and the League cup in 1990 they beat us 6-1 and more recently (2018) we were 3-0 up at half time at Ashton Gate and it finished 3-3 (we scored two ogs that day) and that was only thanks to Fielding pulling off a worldie to deny them a fourth!

On Tuesday they won 3-0 away to QPR.  They are eight points better off than us.

Edouard Michu will be available for them with Tony Mowbray leaving the French midfielder out of the squad entirely for the QPR match because he wanted him to have an opportunity to get some proper rest.

After a busy few weeks Mowbray said: "There'll probably be one or two changes but there won't be wholesale changes. I'm mindful of the fact I'd like to get back to Saturday to Saturday then you can manage wellbeing throughout the week.”

One of those changes could see Amad Diallo reinstated to the starting side after he was left on the bench for the trip to Loftus Road. Niall Huggins, who has made just two appearances in all-competitions this season, will be eased back into the side.

Long-term absentees Ross Stewart, Corry Evans and Elliot Embleton all remain absent for the Black Cats. Mowbray also provided an update on Lynden Gooch, revealing he is on the road to recovery but is still a few weeks away. “It's not a long-term injury,” Mowbray said. “It will be another couple of weeks I think."

Of course LJ had a stint there as head coach. He was appointed on 5 December 2020, following the departure of Phil Parkinson. He signed a two and a half year deal with the club. On 14 March 2021, Sunderland won the 2021 EFL Trophy Final, beating Tranmere Rovers 1–0 courtesy of a goal from Lynden Gooch. After a short run of poor results and a heavy defeat (6-0) away to Bolton Wanderers Johnson’s time at the Stadium of Light came to an abrupt end and he was replaced by Alex Neil.

They appointed former Blackburn boss Tony Mowbray as their new head coach on a two-year deal in August. The 58-year-old replaced Alex Neil after he left to take over at Championship rivals Stoke City.

On deadline day they signed Everton defender Joe Anderson for an undisclosed fee on a three-and-a-half-year deal.

Players who have represented both clubs include: Martin Scott, Stern John, Mick Harford, Dickie Rooks, Adam Matthews and Bailey Wright.

They are known as the black cats. The official explanation for the nickname from the club is that it is after the Black Cat Gun Battery in the city, named after a mysterious black cat in 1805. The second theory is that it is after a lucky black cat found in the team's dressing room in 1909 that was said to be responsible for turning the club's fortunes around at the time.

Among their well known fans are Emeli Sande, Peter O'Toole, David Miliband, Steve Cram and Paul Collingwood.

Pubs

Harbour View, about 20 minutes from the ground, 1 Benidict Road, Sunderland, SR6 0NX, https://www.facebook.com/HarbourViewSunderland/

Yates Sunderland, 3-4 Burdon Road, Sunderland, SR1 1QB, https://www.greatukpubs.co.uk/yates-sunderland

William Jameson, Spoons, 30–32 Fawcett Street, Sunderland, SR1 1RH,  https://www.jdwetherspoon.com/pubs/all-pubs/england/tyne-and-wear/the-william-jameson-sunderland

Sunderland Companions Club, 39-41 North Bridge Street, Sunderland, SR5 1AH

The New Democratic Club, 34 North Bridge Street, Sunderland SR5 1AH

The Albion, Victor St, Roker, Sunderland, SR6 0EN,

Ivy House, about a ten minute drive from the ground. Worcester Terrace, Sunderland, Tyne And Wear, SR2 7AW. Friendly Victorian corner pub off the beaten track; five well kept changing ales from interesting brewers such as Cullercoats, Torrside and Two by Two, plus a real cider, interesting bottled beers and good range of spirits, popular reasonably priced food from open kitchen including own-made burgers and pizzas; background and live music, quiz, sports TV; children and dogs welcome, special (non-alcoholic) beer for dogs; open (and food) all day. https://www.ivyhousesunderland.co.uk/

Here are some others worth considering: https://www.sunderlandecho.com/whats-on/things-to-do/eight-of-the-best-pre-match-pubs-in-sunderland-to-visit-before-going-to-the-stadium-of-light-3395872?page=1

COYR!

Just looking at the betting sites and most are predicting a draw.

Sunderland has a positive home record, but it’s nothing to write home about. Out of 15 games, they have only won 6: strangely, they are the better away team. Because of Bristol City’s current streak and because they are not so strong at home, we believe they will draw, which is in the interest of both teams to keep winning.

Prediction: Sunderland 1-1 Bristol City.

Those of you taking the long trip enjoy yourself and keep safe. 

COYRedssssss. 

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Started my day with the absolutely beautiful Town Moor Parkrun in Newcastle and I am going to finish my day watching Suzanne Vega, who I have long wanted to see play, at the Sage Gateshead.

I am really hoping the afternoon will be the highlight…

That is a packed weekend.

My Mum, or as they say, me Mam, is from Gateshead. There are some similarities with Bristol I think, a key river, iconic bridges, strong culture and big nightlife. I would have loved to have heard the language used when she met my Dad with his rural Wiltshire accent in the early 50s.

Hope everyone travels safe and we bring back the 3 points of course.

• Like 3
41 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Started my day with the absolutely beautiful Town Moor Parkrun in Newcastle and I am going to finish my day watching Suzanne Vega, who I have long wanted to see play, at the Sage Gateshead.

Great weekend!...

Hope the footy doesn't sour things?

• Robin 1
5 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Wouldn’t surprise me to see Weimann and Cornick out for Sykes and Wells. Take a point for sure 

Hopefully so never really rated Weimann one good season the rest of the time running around with no end product and lacks awareness of his team mates positions so creates very little and in generall is a bit of a wild finisher.OK to bring on with 20  mins or so  to go when the opposition may be tiring but not  a starter there are better options in the squad.Too soon to judge Cornick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Hmmm 1

I had a Sunderland fan who worked in Bristol stay with us for nearly 4 years during the week.
Every midweek home match he attended as a season ticket holder. He would drive up to watch the game and then drive back through the night and be in work in Bristol 9am next day. When I worked up there for 3 months, I always stayed overnight!!

Always remember him telling me how most Mackems get buried in the full Sunderland football kit at their funeral.
Lovely people the Mackems, really knowledgeable and passionate about football.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

Fantastic. Good planning!  

• Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Weimann can be a liability to the team, frustrating how erratic his play still is, hopefully the captains armband will help.

I think both "liability" and "erratic" are a bit unfair but it will be interesting to see how Weimann fits into what's becoming a much more tightly structured formation than we've had for a while. I think he'll find his way back into the fist team sooner rather than later, and deservedly so, but he's obviously finding fitness again and I don't think he did enough on Wednesday to deserve the start ahead of Sykes today, given Sykes' recent form. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Enjoy your day.

Keep your eyes peeled on our free kicks in case the put Marlena in the wall

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1