IGNORED

Rob Atkinson

Clevedon Red

Sad if Atkinson has ruptured his ACL because he will be out for months. And real shame for him having got back into the team during this unbeaten run.

However having an international centre back, who is used to playing on the left side even though he’s right footed is hardly a disaster, and I don’t see why there should have to be a sudden switch in formation just because it’s Kalas rather than Atkinson in that position. What we might miss more is Atkinson’s heading prowess and goal-scoring ability as that has never been a strong point for Kalas.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Sad if Atkinson has ruptured his ACL because he will be out for months. And real shame for him having got back into the team during this unbeaten run.

However having an international centre back, who is used to playing on the left side even though he’s right footed is hardly a disaster, and I don’t see why there should have to be a sudden switch in formation just because it’s Kalas rather than Atkinson in that position. What we might miss more is Atkinson’s heading prowess and goal-scoring ability as that has never been a strong point for Kalas.

Not sure I agree with that. Kalas has one of the highest leaps of most footballers. He ain't the tallest but has ability to get up higher than most opponents.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WECANDO said:

Not sure I agree with that. Kalas has one of the highest leaps of most footballers. He ain't the tallest but has ability to get up higher than most opponents.

I meant Atkinson’s heading prowess up front. To be fair to Kalas, when he was taking all those attacking long throw ins, it was hardly his fault he couldn’t get his head on it as well!

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Worth clarifying that - assuming the same interview - NP said “it may be” in response to a direct question as to whether it was an ACL, rather than he himself saying that is what he thought it was.

I may be clinging to false hope with that though.

I think NP has Been in the game long enough to know what these injuries are.

19 minutes ago, Super said:

I think NP has Been in the game long enough to know what these injuries are.

I'm really hoping for some good luck for a change.
There is no way, whatever your experience, you can know for sure what it is yet. As NP said , they will have to wait for the scan. 
I played with a mate that did his cartilage, it was almost like a gun shot, swelling and a lot of pain. That isn't necessarily as long term as ACL. There are many things it could be and we won't know until they have a scan.

I'm hoping for the best, sprain/strain and a couple of weeks. They are all painful, they could all give similar symptoms . Will be a real shame for the lad if it turns out to be ACL.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Done it before

Yes, I think yesterday when we saw Dasilva come on that Pringy was moved into midfield. I think Pearson really rates Pring (and why wouldn't he), I think we'd go with Kalas there for now though until he needs a rest. Just as long as we don't put Andy King there...

On 19/02/2023 at 07:24, RedorDead BCFC said:

If needed could move Pring to left centre back and use Dasilva as left back. 

There’s also the option of Tanner at CB, with Sykes at RB.

Rob’s absence is a real problem because there’s no way TK will be able to play 7 games in 22 days.  Will be interesting to see if Nige keeps him back from the Hull game and uses him against Man City.  Can’t see him starting both.  Big ask after a year’s absence.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Malago said:

There’s also the option of Tanner at CB, with Sykes at RB.

Rob’s absence is a real problem because there’s no way TK will be able to play 7 games in 22 days.  Will be interesting to see if Nige keeps him back from the Hull game and uses him against Man City.  Can’t see him starting both.  Big ask after a year’s absence.

I think Tomas will be relishing a glut of games in a short period.  He’s been back in the match day squad since Blackburn on the 21st Jan, so has been back a month.  That’s not to say Nige shouldn’t be careful with him.

Assuming he’s come through Saturday ok, he will start on Saturday, he’ll have had a week in between won’t he?  Hull is the important game…it’s the next game.  Worry about Man City after Hull.

If he does want to rest him at some point, then assuming Kal not back, we can switch to the same three we used at home to Swansea - Tanner / Vyner / Pring.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If he does want to rest him at some point, then assuming Kal not back, we can switch to the same three we used at home to Swansea - Tanner / Vyner / Pring.

Largely agree on Kalas but that suddenly leaves us having ro rejif multiple areas. Who do we shunt out of position to RWB, Sykes, Scott or Weimann?

I suppose with Cornick AND Mehmeti added it reduces that dilemma a bit, we now have on balance one more option...

Could Pring play left of a back 4 in those circs, ie Tanner-Vyner-Pring-DaSilva? Not wholly ideal granted but retains the same  basic shape at least.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Largely agree on Kalas but that suddenly leaves us having ro rejif multiple areas. Who do we shunt out of position to RWB, Sykes, Scott or Weimann?

I suppose with Cornick AND Mehmeti added it reduces that dilemma a bit, we now have on balance one more option...

Could Pring play left of a back 4 in those circs, ie Tanner-Vyner-Pring-DaSilva? Not wholly ideal granted but retains the same  basic shape at least.

Our posts show that there are options.  Team spirit is good, players will muck-in for the cause.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Our posts show that there are options.  Team spirit is good, players will muck-in for the cause.

Yes, options and will muck in which is good but may bring about a certain imbalance. Then again Kalas is due- he's been out for so long, perhaps this pair can flourish for the next few weeks or so.

1 minute ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

I'd of thought we'll get some comms Thursday after the press conference  

Yep, I would expect so.
I think it normally takes a few days for the swelling to go down, then there would be a scan and consultation , they would then decide on treatment. Even if the scan is clear in what the problem is, they wouldn't say anything before the prematch. 
Gonna be a long few days of crossing fingers.