IGNORED

Rob Atkinson

Clevedon Red

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Terrible injury & obviously wish him all the best . They normally are innocuous .

light on numbers there as well. It will disrupt us no doubt . We’ve no left footed player to play there unless we bring Pring inside . Might force us to back to a back 3 

I’d be disappointed if we changed the whole set up that’s brought us an 11 game unbeaten run just because we might have to play a right-footer at LCB. Certainly highlights an area in need of strengthening though.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I’d be disappointed if we changed the whole set up that’s brought us an 11 game unbeaten run just because we might have to play a right-footer at LCB. Certainly highlights an area in need of strengthening though.

Agree. And while I’ve never felt that LCB is Kalas’s best position, he has even played there for the Czech Republic so there is no reason to change. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree but Pearson has hinted he played 3 at the back due to a lack of trust in our centre halves. Having kalas at left CB  changes the way we play. He’s not as confident on the ball as Rob plus he’s not left footed . It means ( I might be wrong) it means Pring has to drop 5 yards . It’s a knock on effect . Not as simple as just replacing a player imo 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

25 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Nige said it may be his ACL but waiting on scans next week. 

Get well soon big man.

The "it may be" is what I'm focusing on.

Hopefully, it's not ACL, but an inexplicable painful twinge, which heals unbelievably quickly.

Rob and the team deserve a miracle.

Okay, okay . . . . another miracle  ( after all, we did finally get a penalty ! )

• Like 1

ACL was my fear based purely on his reaction.  Such a shame if true.  He's been excellent and is developing (rapidly IMHO) into a very solid defender with shades of Webster about him when he carries the ball out from the back.  Not as cultured a footballer as Webster, but you can see the similarities as a line breaking, ball carrying, centre back.

Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

Nige said it may be his ACL but waiting on scans 

Did not hear that…however if NP had hinted it may be his ACL , Then season over for Rob…. Just hope for the best. the good news is that a new born fit Kalas  is a massive bonus…but you do wonder whay options are & what else is about in the out of contract  central defenders …one in Switzerland called klose  ?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree but Pearson has hinted he played 3 at the back due to a lack of trust in our centre halves. Having kalas at left CB  changes the way we play. He’s not as confident on the ball as Rob plus he’s not left footed . It means ( I might be wrong) it means Pring has to drop 5 yards . It’s a knock on effect . Not as simple as just replacing a player imo 

Kalas is just fine on the ball! Rarely gives it away, can see a good pass, can drive into space and has the odd marauding run in him. He's more technical than he's given credit for, not just good for diving in the way of shots. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Kalas is just fine on the ball! Rarely gives it away, can see a good pass, can drive into space and has the odd marauding run in him. He's more technical than he's given credit for, not just good for diving in the way of shots. 

My thinking is more that he’s not left footed . I’m playing devils advocate . I don’t want us to go to a back 3 either . I’m just saying it will change the way we play 

How much longer is Kal expected to be out?

If it’s his ACL and season ending, we look worryingly short at centre half. I don’t think Idehen is ready and/or fancied. I hope we never see Andy King in the 4 especially. Kalas injury history also has to be a concern.

I suppose Pring at LCB with Dasilva at LB is an option.

Failing that are there any free transfer centre halves knocking about worth a 3 month deal just to see us through? Mariappa/Williams style.

Kalas played on the left in a back four when the Czechia did so well in the Euros.

He’ll get a run now & hopefully Naismith will be back quite soon, Wilson for the bench meaning Tanner could play CB at a push.

We won’t be going to a back three or bringing in a free agent.

• Like 1

I'm surprised Nige said that, has to be a massive speculation at this stage. Normally he would say they have to wait until initial swelling goes down and do a scan. I hope that this is a worst case scenario from Pearson. 
I'm hoping for the best for Atkinson, at this moment it could be anything from ACL to twist. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the lad.

3 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

If he is out long term. Can we use the loan market?

Don't think so, not out of the Window. OOC & free agents.