IGNORED

Clever Penalty Ploy

citywest30

21 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Was a top bit of shithousery. Though to be fair, they've had enough time to come up with ideas on how to approach it.

I understand work is set to begin on the training ground on Monday in preparation for our next penalty in April 2025. 

• Haha 12

29 minutes ago, LocoPal said:

Sykes was also able to protect the penalty spot by standing on it, as I suspect that it would have been 'accidently' vandalised by a Sunderland player.

It already had been. Alese had seriously kicked the $#|¥ out of it, got booked and then led down in the penalty area wanting treatment. 
Sykes did a great job protecting it and chirping at the GK until he retreated to his goal line 

• Like 4

• Admin
53 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I wonder what the keeper was saying to Sykes. Something along the lines of you've waited this long and made all the headlines so now you're bound to miss?!

I'm sure I heard the keeper had saved the last three penalties he faced, including one in midweek? 

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Open End Numb Legs said:

A bit off topic but the success of the penalty shows that these days you need to put some proper pace on the ball as well as be accurate. If that had been a tame effort the keeper would have saved it. Going for deception is becoming a 50/50 bet.

Better than a lot of world cup pens we saw, nice one Nahki.

Also a big factor was that Wells hit the ball along the ground. Another six to nine inches higher and I believe their keeper would have saved it.

One of the many positive things Nige has brought to the club is a bit of nastiness and mastery of the dark arts. 

He’s mentioned a few times about “nice little old family feel Bristol City” and how that’s not only been perceived but also welcomed; and now we are thankfully moving on from it. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Just watched the highlights and had read that Sykes was going to take it but Wells took it off him.

However after watching it, I am convinced it was a clever ploy so that any gamesmanship from Sunderland was aimed at Sykes, who they thought was going to take it, allowing for Wells to sort himself our and remain composed.

The keeper was trying so hard to put off Sykes, who was also protecting the spot, and then Wells just came over and took over with no complaints from Sykes, like he was expecting it. A clever plan me thinks.

Sykes didn't just have an epiphany, he had breakfast at epiphanies!

Edited by Curr Avon
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, One Team said:

One of the many positive things Nige has brought to the club is a bit of nastiness and mastery of the dark arts. 

He’s mentioned a few times about “nice little old family feel Bristol City” and how that’s not only been perceived but also welcomed; and now we are thankfully moving on from it. 

I’m not sure I’d call the penalty incident nasty or a dark art……just smart and clever. 

But I agree; we’re much more adept now at, for example, the deliberate foul that stops a potential break in its tracks, and does so early on before it becomes red/yellow card territory. We did that a few times yesterday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

I’m not sure I’d call the penalty incident nasty or a dark art……just smart and clever. 

But I agree; we’re much more adept now at, for example, the deliberate foul that stops a potential break in its tracks, and does so early on before it becomes red/yellow card territory. We did that a few times yesterday. 

Yep, I'd just say we were becoming streetwise.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Just watched the highlights and had read that Sykes was going to take it but Wells took it off him.

However after watching it, I am convinced it was a clever ploy so that any gamesmanship from Sunderland was aimed at Sykes, who they thought was going to take it, allowing for Wells to sort himself our and remain composed.

The keeper was trying so hard to put off Sykes, who was also protecting the spot, and then Wells just came over and took over with no complaints from Sykes, like he was expecting it. A clever plan me thinks.

I agree 100% defo deliberate

• Like 1