IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

Ok, maybe a stupid question  but bear with me.

Assume the pink goalie top is the away one. Also assume that it won't be worn when we wear the red shirt, as it could be seen as  not different enough from the outfield shirts (colour blind issues as well)?

When we have to wear the away shirt, it's because the home team will be in red, so when are we likely to use it?

4 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

Castore must've been considered tinpot by the fans of clubs who have their sportswear. 

Castore was founded in 2015 and only moved into professional football in 2020. 

Give O'Neill's a chance.

Tinpot doesn’t have anything to do with age, it refers to quality. Case in point our 140 year old neighbours.

Not sure id use that term here as I don’t know what the quality is actually like - I don’t like the look of the home shirt but that pink keeper shirt looks lovely, will be buying that as soon as it’s out.

4 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Whilst I do understand your point on his failure to be an effective chairman from our perspective I do think he deserves plenty of credit for the kits over the last few years, think they've been great and better than those awful Puma and Adidas stock kits. 

Our kits have been a major driver for our socials too, pushing the club into the thoughts of thousands. It's a big part of modern business. 

I’ve got no opinion on the kits; I couldn’t care less what they look like personally as I don’t buy them. But I can’t get my head around our chairman breaking his silence to wax lyrical about the “creative input” he’s had on this project. Embarrassing IMO.

Edited by tin

20 minutes ago, RedM said:

Possibly, but surely he only started a couple of weeks ago and the supply issues then the distribution problems were clear from earlier in the season. I can't believe this hasn't been on the cards for months? Can you really design and manufacture kits in only a few weeks?

Who knows... however, although he officially started only a few weeks back, I'm sure he would have been engaged with the club way before then. So he may have been aware of the problem and offered his opinion on a solution.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Taz said:

Assume the pink goalie top is the away one. Also assume that it won't be worn when we wear the red shirt, as it could be seen as  not different enough from the outfield shirts (colour blind issues as well)?

When we have to wear the away shirt, it's because the home team will be in red, so when are we likely to use it?

Friday 7th April is the first definite date as that’s Stoke away. Sheffield Utd shortly thereafter.  I would guess in view of the additional time to get sorted they will do the away kit when they can line up shirts to buy at the same time

10 minutes ago, Taz said:

Recently when we have worn the dark grey robin kit and Max has worn the pink/purple kit from a distance it was hard to pick Max out in a crowded goalmouth, our team  just looked like they were wearing a dark kit.

29 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Interesting question

Is it better for us to have a decent named brand and have a template kit but potentially better more desirable training/leisurewear that people will want to buy

or

A smaller company who will give JL more scope to design us something individual (whether or not this is something he should be doing as chairman is for another day) and maybe sell more actual replica shirts?

A.

53 minutes ago, RedM said:

I haven't read that it is going to be sold this season, just that the players are wearing it from now on. Have I missed something or are people just assuming it's launched so will be on sale imminently? Yes it would make sense to sell and get £££, but has anything actually been stated?

Edit: The info might be in Jon's interview which I will admit I've not watched yet, which explains my questions about other kits.

Yep. Go watch and read the info the club have out out first. After that, then see what questions remain. You're asking things which have been answered already.

26 minutes ago, tin said:

I don’t wear replica shirts these days; I leave that to the kids. But what chairman gets involved with kit designs? JL makes us look tinpot IMO. Radio silence from him on the issues that matter, but don’t worry he’s been locked away with his crayons again. Leave it to the professionals, Jon.  

Would be interesting to know what JL does on a day to day basis.

Obviously none of us know or probably ever will know what he actually ‘does’ but I can’t help but just feel he has been shoehorned into the role of chairman purely because of his old man. Fair play to him i suppose, the perks of your Dad being a billionaire football club owner ay..

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Would be interesting to know what JL does on a day to day basis.

Obviously none of us know or probably ever will know what he actually ‘does’ but I can’t help but just feel he has been shoehorned into the role of chairman purely because of his old man. Fair play to him i suppose, the perks of your Dad being a billionaire football club owner ay ?

He's just in the family business, if SL ran a shop then JL would be working there, no different really

9 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Whilst I do understand your point on his failure to be an effective chairman from our perspective I do think he deserves plenty of credit for the kits over the last few years, think they've been great and better than those awful Puma and Adidas stock kits. 

Our kits have been a major driver for our socials too, pushing the club into the thoughts of thousands. It's a big part of modern business. 

Without trying to be blunt, who cares? The absolute main driver of the club shop is to sell merchandise for £££. It's all well and nice selling a few shirts to a couple of kit collectors but the bread and butter is the fan base. So you either have a wonderfully designed kit, beloved by the fans who buy it in their droves in the shop. Or you have a reasonable brand, eg your Hummel, Puma, Adidas who maybe give us a template shirt, some fans buy it who buy the shirt regardless, and then others stock up on the other stuff because it's a Nike hoody or coat with your teams logo on. Personally I'd take the big brand option every time and I'd wager they make more money on it. I couldn't give a toss if they give JL 'creative input' to put some feathers on it, or remake his favourite 80s shirt, or put Scott Murray's face on it. It's a vanity project for him. The fact people have nailed him down as a chairman who only appears when there's a new kit out or a new badge is frankly a bit embarrassing. If he wants to be head of creative design or something then make him that. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Friday 7th April is the first definite date as that’s Stoke away. Sheffield Utd shortly thereafter.  I would guess in view of the additional time to get sorted they will do the away kit when they can line up shirts to buy at the same time

No what I mean is that I'm pretty sure the goalkeeper must be easily/fairly easy to pick out from the rest of the players on the field. 

With that in mind, we can't wear it when we're playing in red, and unless we wear the away kit (whatever colour that will be) even if there is no clash with the home side, surely it won't be used much as it will be too close to red?

5 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think teams these days play in brand new kit (don’t mention sustainability) most weeks hence how they are able to give their shirts away to fans etc. I’m guessing some of it was given away or unusable?

I read somewhere that one club give their players two shirts of each type (home, away, third) and once they give them away they charge them say £50 for any they give away after that.  I can’t remember which player / club it was though….and as you say I suspect most clubs get through several sets of kit in a season.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Interesting question

Is it better for us to have a decent named brand and have a template kit but potentially better more desirable training/leisurewear that people will want to buy

or

A smaller company who will give JL more scope to design us something individual (whether or not this is something he should be doing as chairman is for another day) and maybe sell more actual replica shirts?

If I remember rightly our training gear under adidas was awful. It’s been better with Hummel though 

1 minute ago, Dredd said:

I've actually still got an Adidas jumper and shorts for then that I still wear on occasion to the gym! It lasts!

Quality wise it was good, the shirt I have is still in decent Knick. I just remember there being little choice, especially compared to what other teams had. Could be wrong with time - I just know a couple of Swindon mates who had decent sweatshirts and was looking forward to us getting the same

3 hours ago, Elruliri said:

Didn't we have a a thin pin stripe shirt in the mid-late 80's for about 5 games and then it was changed. I'm thinking 87-88? 

Yes, we did. I think it was due to supply issuers with the actual kit (the one with the thick white stripe across the middle. 

13B99C9E-2E30-45C9-940B-CF62C3E0451B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

I think teams these days play in brand new kit (don’t mention sustainability) most weeks hence how they are able to give their shirts away to fans etc. I’m guessing some of it was given away or unusable?

They also bring 3 shirts for every game. First half, second half, blood shirt substitute. 

50 minutes ago, tin said:

I don’t wear replica shirts these days; I leave that to the kids. But what chairman gets involved with kit designs? JL makes us look tinpot IMO. Radio silence from him on the issues that matter, but don’t worry he’s been locked away with his crayons again. Leave it to the professionals, Jon.  

I get what you are saying but who else do we put up as spokesman, it's obviously not Nige's job to talk kit and I think he would probably have a 2 word answer to being asked to. Maybe CEO, certainly doesn't seem like a CFO, COO or a CCO job at a football club, deciding the kits isn't really the football administration side of things, they should all be working to make the club a success on a daily basis.

What we really want (as fans) is someone like Scott Murray to just turn up and do a funny video basically saying "I love this kit" but that doesn't do it for the supplier, they want to see someone senior behind it selling the back story about everything the club and them have done in partnership ?.

I can't think of anyone that matters to businesses but at the same time doesn't matter to fans in perfect balance enough to talk about it. Talk about crayons is crass but he probably only had them out for 1/2 a day while the professionals actually produced the kit design and then asked him to stand infront of it and told him it was what he drew.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Indeed, I do agree. 

But as I said, Kits are a big deal in modern football. Massive talking point for younger fans and the wider football community. His kits have put us right at the forefront of that sub section of football discourse.

I think Jon was put firmly in his box by Nige last year when he started banging on about under performing. I think he's been told to shut up to be honest.

Chairman can mean as little as the note taker at board meetings! The power and decision making clearly now resides in the CEO's office, and that's arguably better than a wealthy man's son doing a job he's not really qualified for!

I guess another way of putting that is that it's better to let a football professional do his job rather than a fan try to play football manager with a real football club?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Taz said:

No what I mean is that I'm pretty sure the goalkeeper must be easily/fairly easy to pick out from the rest of the players on the field. 

With that in mind, we can't wear it when we're playing in red, and unless we wear the away kit (whatever colour that will be) even if there is no clash with the home side, surely it won't be used much as it will be too close to red?

Ah got you - agree, I don’t think the pink and red can be worn together (but it is a paler pink and a deeper red so don’t rule it out), so unlike our current GK kits I do think it’s a home and away, hence my answer