IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

7 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Can you elaborate with a few words maybe. ?

Not really in the know with how that would work

Our CEO, ex-Wycombe as you say, started work at City on 1 Feb 2023.

O'Neills were announced as our new kit supplier on 24 Feb 2023.

How long do you think it takes for our "Board" to 1) decide to finish with Hummel, 2) tender for alternatives, 3) start and conclude contract negotiations with a new supplier, 4) get some new kit made, and 5) organise the media announcement?

Sincerely, I hope you don't think it takes less than 24 days.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

It was the Chairman’s work.

Was hoping for a little more again hahaha .... all I'm saying is the it seems like a bit of a coincidence that our new CEO was last at Wycombe and when JL would have been looking for a new supplier it wouldn't have been brought up ??

3 minutes ago, Not Banksy said:

Was hoping for a little more again hahaha .... all I'm saying is the it seems like a bit of a coincidence that our new CEO was last at Wycombe and when JL would have been looking for a new supplier it wouldn't have been brought up ??

If you look back through this thread, you’ll see responses from those with knowledge, that this was in plan well before Phil Alexander was onboard (even in handover mode) and firmly in the remit of our a chairman who is really more Creative Director than Chairman.

4 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Our CEO, ex-Wycombe as you say, started work at City on 1 Feb 2023.

O'Neills were announced as our new kit supplier on 24 Feb 2023.

How long do you think it takes for our "Board" to 1) decide to finish with Hummel, 2) tender for alternatives, 3) start and conclude contract negotiations with a new supplier, 4) get some new kit made, and 5) organise the media announcement?

Sincerely, I hope you don't think it takes less than 24 days.  

Haha I see what you're saying and of course I know that these things take time.. but wasn't Richard Gould known to be going for a while before this.. and appointing a new CEO would have been a long process. All is saying is the JL and PA would have been in conversation for a while before his appointment... we only would have found out the CEO situation and candidate when things were in an advanced stage. All it would have taken is a quick 'Have you looked at O'Neill's'. Not saying JL is not to blame after the fact.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you look back through this thread, you’ll see responses from those with knowledge, that this was in plan well before Phil Alexander was onboard (even in handover mode) and firmly in the remit of our a chairman who is really more Creative Director than Chairman.

Ah I see.. and yeah I don't doubt that this is JL's handy work.. looks a lot like a JL move doesn't it. 

(but don't blame me for not trusting the OTIB ITK's... learnt that over years hahah)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

It's disappointing that we couldn't build a better relationship with Hummel, some of their kits were nice, and they've done some great kits for other teams. Mind you, some horrors, too (look at Southampton's away kit...actually, don't, it's vile)

Hummel’s kits were imo the best we have had for years. Decent quality and some really nice personalised touches, the tribute to the Ashton Gate 8 on the back of the home shirt a couple of seasons back was class.

It’s looking like a real blunder for the club getting O’neills in, your hoping no long term contract was signer and we can look to replace them for the 24/25 season.

• Like 4

The process I outlined would take months. For argument's sake, let's say 6 months. Meaning we started the process long before Alexander had any input, however informal, in our affairs. Imo.

But if it transpires that, in fact, he is responsible for the O'Neills contract, he's immediately got off on the wrong foot. Imo.

Because the quality of the new kit is sh1te. Certainly compared to previous suppliers such as Hummel or Adidas.

It appears the decision has been made to have product in the shop to sell no matter how sh1te it is, rather than find a way to resolve supply issues with a manufacturer who can provide top quality product.     

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Hummel’s kits were imo the best we have had for years. Decent quality and some really nice personalised touches, the tribute to the Ashton Gate 8 on the back of the home shirt a couple of seasons back was class.

It’s looking like a real blunder for the club getting O’neills in, your hoping no long term contract was signer and we can look to replace them for the 24/25 season.

That first Hummel home shirt with the AG8 tributes was the best we've had for years... Loved the Puma training/leisure wear though

• Thanks 1

Be interested to see if we put a break clause in. Because based on replies on here shirt and trainingwear sales are going to be well down. Most seem to like the design of the shirt (not me) but aren't having the quality. That's a big problem

1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

It's disappointing that we couldn't build a better relationship with Hummel, some of their kits were nice, and they've done some great kits for other teams. Mind you, some horrors, too (look at Southampton's away kit...actually, don't, it's vile)

We could have done. Coventry managed it. Kit design will always be subjective to a large extent, but quality is more objective. And the quality clearly isn’t there with this ONeil stuff - plus most people hate the designs too.

I blame the club for this. Not for the original failure of the supply chain, but for electing to jump to an alternative supplier instead of fixing it as others managed, and choosing a second-rate company meaning we now look completely amateur. And I refuse to believe that the club are going to generate as much revenue trying to sell this tat, as they would have done with the very popular Hummel gear.

As usual with City, an entirely avoidable own-goal.

• Like 2

I’ll be honest I didn’t take much notice of the announcement when we had to drop Hummel. I thought this kit was to just see us out for the rest of the current season… to find out we’ll actually be wearing this for next season as well is extremely underwhelming. It’s up there with the 13/14 season as one of the worst we’ve had. Genuinely so horrible and tacky. Shame really as I love the yellow kit (minus the badge) not sure how they can get something so simple, so wrong. 

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

We could have done. Coventry managed it. Kit design will always be subjective to a large extent, but quality is more objective. And the quality clearly isn’t there with this ONeil stuff - plus most people hate the designs too.

I blame the club for this. Not for the original failure of the supply chain, but for electing to jump to an alternative supplier instead of fixing it as others managed, and choosing a second-rate company meaning we now look completely amateur. And I refuse to believe that the club are going to generate as much revenue trying to sell this tat, as they would have done with the very popular Hummel gear.

I suspect the reason for falling out with Hummel might be that City (in this case, Jonboy and his crayon team) would like a lot of creative input into the manufacturing of a bespoke end product, whereas Hummel were only interested in (capable of?) providing off-the-shelf template designs they could mass produce.  The O'Neills contract probably allows for some design input from our end, with Hummel it was none. As this appears to be the sole reason Jonboy is involved at City, I don't suppose we'll see a return to "big name" kit suppliers until the Lansdowns have retired permanently to their respective tax havens.   

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 4
  • Flames 1

Bring back Bukta I say!

The fact a Championship club is attired in this brand is truly laughable, bad quality or not when our peers are running out in Umbro, Nike, Errea, Joma, Hummel, New Balance, Kelme, Puma and Macron.

Adidas conspicuous by their absence in the Championship this year I've noticed

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think the jump was influenced in part by the Man City game. We had no need to change immediately but the feeling was national exposure and the ability to secure bespoke sponsorship on shirt/shorts that Hummel couldnt provide stock for brought a potential break at the end of season into reality early, and in turn didn’t give time to sort the supply chain issues. We’d have probably moved over anyway but clearly there wasn’t mass production until last month, so I’d reckon without Man City we may have (potentially) still been with Hummel

• Like 2

Will come down to money in the end.. so it will just be down to if we are just a the vocal minority who care or if this is the real feeling of all of the fan base. Saw quite a few new shirts on people at the Burnley game.. Hopefully the sales are low enough to make the club move to a proper supplier. Would someone like New Balance or Macron. Anyone else 

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I suspect the reason for falling out with Hummel might be that City (in this case, Jonboy and his crayon team) would like a lot of creative input into the manufacturing of a bespoke end product, whereas Hummel were only interested in (capable of?) providing off-the-shelf template designs they could mass produce.

I don't think this is true. JL had said when the link with Hummel was extended.
"The partnership allows us to make a more technically advanced kit while still retaining a uniqueness that is symbolic of us and our supporters."
It wasn't even Hummel that was the problem, the UK suppliers went into admin. We couldn't get stocks and had already ran out of shirts for the shop and there were doubts over supply for the first team. The extension to the contract was only agreed a year ago.

This has been covered a couple of times, but easily missed as the forum moves on.

Everton had a non UK supply chain and Cov seemingly had stocks and signed with a new UK supplier, SportsPro in Feb. That was around the time our ONeil deal was announced, I guess that was done a could have been done as far back as the end of November or December when the administration happened. They would have had to make a decision to either get a new shirt supplier or just wait and run the risk of not having new shirts available for the summer, or even running out of kit before the end of the season.

I don't know why we didn't try the Everton route, we may have, we may have looked into how long it would take for Hummel to find a new UK partner, who knows.  We have signed a multi year deal , maybe it was a rushed decision, certainly the quality of the new shirt doesn't appear the best quality and I think the Yellow was possibly Jon trying too hard. 
I was hoping that the quality was because of the quick (ish) turn around needed to get the first team shirts, as they are on sale in the shop , this isn't true. 
While I have some sympathy with City with the problems not of thier making, the amateurish running of the shop and the previous supply chain problems do point to a deeper Club based problem. 

24 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think the jump was influenced in part by the Man City game. We had no need to change immediately but the feeling was national exposure and the ability to secure bespoke sponsorship on shirt/shorts that Hummel couldnt provide stock for brought a potential break at the end of season into reality early, and in turn didn’t give time to sort the supply chain issues. We’d have probably moved over anyway but clearly there wasn’t mass production until last month, so I’d reckon without Man City we may have (potentially) still been with Hummel

You may have something. The Club could have used the up coming Man City game as a bargaining chip for the new deal. Lack of supplies, new design due at the end of the season anyway, wanting to get shirts available for sale in the summer (for a change), might all have lead to us moving quickly, but maybe not wisely

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I suspect the reason for falling out with Hummel might be that City (in this case, Jonboy and his crayon team) would like a lot of creative input into the manufacturing of a bespoke end product, whereas Hummel were only interested in (capable of?) providing off-the-shelf template designs they could mass produce.  The O'Neills contract probably allows for some design input from our end, with Hummel it was none. As this appears to be the sole reason Jonboy is involved at City, I don't suppose we'll see a return to "big name" kit suppliers until the Lansdowns have retired permanently to their respective tax havens.   

Weren't all our Hummel kit designs bespoke? Look at the grey/orange third kit (which I thought was great)

Maybe we should let the Chairman take full control?

But what to call the brand?

Perhaps a retro NIBOR shirt?  Im sure he could knock up a funky new logo ?  Perhaps ROBIN above a puddle to show NIBOR in the reflection?

Or copy Adidas ... call the brand Jolan

Might catch on?

EIther would require a new logo.  Which would keep Lansdown Jr busy all summer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soultrader said:

Maybe we should let the Chairman take full control?

But what to call the brand?

Perhaps a retro NIBOR shirt?  Im sure he could knock up a funky new logo ?  Perhaps ROBIN above a puddle to show NIBOR in the reflection?

Or copy Adidas ... call the brand Jolan

Might catch on?

EIther would require a new logo.  Which would keep Lansdown Jr busy all summer

I thought his name was Adolf Dassler hence Adidas?

Therefore, wouldn't it be Stilan?

On 02/05/2023 at 11:23, Taz said:

Well after seeing the quality of the shirts in the shop on Saturday, I won't be buying one that's for sure.

It really does look like one of the fakes on the Spanish market stalls.

Goalkeeper top looked better than the red one to be fair, although even that looked cheap. The original TFG shirts were better quality.

It’s cringeworthy bad. Even my mates who liked it from afar were pissing themselves at how bad it is. I genuinely wore far better shirts 30 years ago at primary age. It’s that bad.  And that’s before the badge ?

• Like 1

This thread is the same as one's about crap ref's. You always get a thread on here when a ref has a shocking performance but hardly ever when they have a good performance. We hardly ever had any threads about Hummel as the quality and variety of products were good whereas O'Neills fabric quality and stick on badges look like cheap knock-offs bought on a stall abroad for 5 euros.  

Jon suck it up and go back to Hummel cap in hand and get them to make our kit and merchandise again!  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Walshy said:

If anyone's interested, Hummel are selling the remaining stock of this season's shirts for £30 each on their website. Home, away, third and GK's all on there and quite a few different sizes available:

https://www.hummel.co.uk/search?q=BCFC

Excellent, good spot, thanks, I think those Hummel shirts are great.

• Like 1