IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

50 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Stone Island for me, show the rest of the division that we mean business.

Nah, player injuries:

• straining their neck to kiss the badge
  • having to run like a crab side on so opponents can see the badge

plus kids season ticket up to £400 to include a free kit

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cider hoss rules said:

Would love to see Umbro, growing up that was iconic branding, then Adidas took over

Would be very happy with Umbro.  With the Bears using their kit it was surely the obvious move but guess the Crayon King couldn't use his colouring chalks as he wanted with them so went elsewhere.  

• Like 1

Umbro would have been perfect for me. Excellent quality stuff, already have a relationship with the Bears where the crayons have been allowed to come out, history with the club, good training wear etc. 

I reckon with a brand like Umbro, Nike, Puma etc I as a fan am happy to buy other non kit items as they just last longer. I've still got a Puma training too that I run in and that was almost 15 years old

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Umbro would have been perfect for me. Excellent quality stuff, already have a relationship with the Bears where the crayons have been allowed to come out, history with the club, good training wear etc. 

I reckon with a brand like Umbro, Nike, Puma etc I as a fan am happy to buy other non kit items as they just last longer. I've still got a Puma training too that I run in and that was almost 15 years old

My Bears shirts from Umbro have been brilliant.

I just can’t understand why City didn’t move in that direction. Maybe they think they’ll still sell the same sort of volume regardless of supplier , and bargain basement doesn’t command the same fees as someone like Umbro.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, lenred said:

Would be very happy with Umbro.  With the Bears using their kit it was surely the obvious move but guess the Crayon King couldn't use his colouring chalks as he wanted with them so went elsewhere.  

40 minutes ago, Dredd said:

29 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

My Bears shirts from Umbro have been brilliant.

I just can’t understand why City didn’t move in that direction. Maybe they think they’ll still sell the same sort of volume regardless of supplier , and bargain basement doesn’t command the same fees as someone like Umbro.

I must admit, it would make perfect sense to use Umbro if they have an existing tie in with the Bears. How perfect would it be if they were our supplier and the first kits back were based on the first division designs as @1960maaanhas highlighted above.

Reckon old Jonh Boy has missed a trick here.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Thanks Walshy for the Hummel link at 50% off. I bought one as the oneills stuff looks awful and we have signed a multi year deal so no chance of decent output any time soon. I would love to see the numbers as surely going with Umbro would have resulted in vastly better sales, not just of the kits but training gear. Hummel was a great step forward but now we are back in embarrassing TFG territory. On the players kits the fit looks dreadful, the badge being built into the shirt but also the collar - like someone said its like a market rip off version.

• Like 2

Aren't O'Neills big in Ireland with Gaelic football shirts.

Can any fellow reds living in the Emerald Isle give us an idea of the quality of those shirts?

Have we just picked the lowest quality shirts possible - or are all of their kits questionable?

3 hours ago, cider hoss rules said:

My favourite shirt there, still have a Toffs version, but it has shrunk in the wash I reckon ?

I still have one I got at the time. 
I can still wear it ..... but not in a way that I could wear outside :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, Laner said:

Can any fellow reds living in the Emerald Isle give us an idea of the quality of those shirts?

Have we just picked the lowest quality shirts possible - or are all of their kits questionable?

I’m not from Ireland but have played Gaelic football and my other half plays camogie. O’Neills GAA range is fine quality. No better or worse than any other manufacturer. 

So not sure what’s gone wrong with our kit. I’ve not seen it up close in the flesh, but I do wonder if some people just like having a moan because we didn’t negotiate a new deal with Hummel or sign with a “high street brand” like adidas or puma - both of whom were utterly crap suppliers for us.

Edited by OddBallJim
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

I’m not from Ireland but have played Gaelic football and my other half plays camogie. O’Neills GAA range is fine quality. No better or worse than any other manufacturer. 

So not sure what’s gone wrong with our kit. I’ve not seen it up close in the flesh, but I do wonder if some people just like having a moan because we didn’t negotiate a new deal with Hummel or sign with a “high street brand” like adidas or puma - both of whom were utterly crap suppliers for us.

Trust me you haven't missed much! Looks awful, although not as bad as I expected it to be tbf.

Definitely a step back.

• Hmmm 1

30 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

And people overlooking the fact that City needed an immediate solution, not a supplier who could start next season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Laner said:

I did!

Feb 24th. Here it is again...

I'm pleased if it is O'Neill

The shirts will most probably be made in Strabane, Norn Iron or in Dublin. I will be passing nearby to the Strabane factory next week. If I can, I will ask at the main desk if they are making it.

Their Megastore in Derry is fantastic. I have been wondering for years if they could make decent football shirts as their GAA and Rugby sportswear is of really good quality.

Finally, when was the last time we had a shirt made in the UK or even Europe?  I think it was Nibor made in Stoke -on-Trent. You'll be lmpressed if it is O'Neill who has the contract. 

FWIW

Umbro is really owned by Iconix of USA.

Castore didn't even exist 10 years ago. 

O'Neills quality is good and well respected in this part of the UK. I really can't understand what the moaning and groaning is really about....unless for some reason, the shirts sent to BS3 are below the standard acceptable in the industry.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Yet everyone else affected managed alright. 

This is my gripe. Why did everyone else bar us in the football league not manage to sort something with Hummel. I could understand it more if there had been a mass exodus of clubs leaving Hummel, fair enough - but there wasn’t.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Bris Red said:

This is my gripe. Why did everyone else bar us in the football league not manage to sort something with Hummel. I could understand it more if there had been a mass exodus of clubs leaving Hummel, fair enough - but there wasn’t.

Not exactly true. From what I can find there were around 15 teams supplied by Hummel in the UK. 
Of those , three have stayed or signed new deals.

Everton, Coventry and Kilmarnock .
Everton weren't affected anyway as they didn't use the UK suppliers.

Six Clubs have left for new suppliers.

Bristol City (O'Neills )
Ayr United (O'Neills)
Millwall (Errea)
Newport County (VX3 Sportswear)
AFC Wimbledon (Umbro)
Oldham Athletic (Puma)

And there are some uncertain;

Southampton (deal originally valid until 2026, possibly signed with Hummel main company)
Hashtag United (webstore offline since November 2022, orders were ended from one day to the other - likely to leave Hummel)
Fleetwood Town (22-23 kits sold for half price)
Crusaders (virtually no stock for 22-23 kits and other gear)

and no announcements;

Northampton Town 
Hyde United
Cambridge United

I don't think the issue is leaving Hummel, reading about it just after, it was a mess. Clubs suing Suppliers, suppliers suing Clubs and nothing forthcoming about new stock. City said they had doubts about enough stock for the first team, they had already ran short on the Club shop. Leaving makes sense, at least short term as no new UK Partnership was announced for several moths.
What maybe could have been done is look at the perceived "better" companies like Umbro etc, but I remember the fans moaning about Adidas. 
I can only think that ONeils fitted the timeline City wanted and agreed to supply our designs, which some manufacturers don't seem to want to embrace . The annoying thing the announcement of the multi year deal, now I don't know if these kits were rushed, I doubt it. If they were they could have done a short run to see the teams needs through, then do a better quality one.
Looks like they may regret the decision, but the shop and the merchandise has been a ClusterFluff from day one

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Jon saying they wouldn't have sufficient to see them through until the end of the season.

Blame the kids with the 'give us yer shirt banners!' ?

Basically he wanted to cash in on the Man City cup game and add extra sponsors etc. This isn't unreasonable, I guess the club would have covered another two weeks of Kalas wages from it , but I don't believe that the club only had a single set of shirts left, so that we didn't have enough to do this. I think the issue was likely supply for the club shop but this was the reason they gave to end the contract early. The fact Hummel still have City replica shirts in stock to sell online probably shows this. They might have had to say to the players 'don't go swapping or giving shirts away, we don't have many left' but I don't believe for a second we couldn't have got to the end of the season

• Admin
20 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Basically he wanted to cash in on the Man City cup game and add extra sponsors etc. This isn't unreasonable, I guess the club would have covered another two weeks of Kalas wages from it , but I don't believe that the club only had a single set of shirts left, so that we didn't have enough to do this. I think the issue was likely supply for the club shop but this was the reason they gave to end the contract early. The fact Hummel still have City replica shirts in stock to sell online probably shows this. They might have had to say to the players 'don't go swapping or giving shirts away, we don't have many left' but I don't believe for a second we couldn't have got to the end of the season

You would be surprised with what went wrong here

Many things you mention above are not accurate