IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Basically he wanted to cash in on the Man City cup game and add extra sponsors etc. This isn't unreasonable, I guess the club would have covered another two weeks of Kalas wages from it , but I don't believe that the club only had a single set of shirts left, so that we didn't have enough to do this. I think the issue was likely supply for the club shop but this was the reason they gave to end the contract early. The fact Hummel still have City replica shirts in stock to sell online probably shows this. They might have had to say to the players 'don't go swapping or giving shirts away, we don't have many left' but I don't believe for a second we couldn't have got to the end of the season

Having replicas to sell isn’t the same as having match wearing stock to supply. 

• Like 2

I’d imagine things went tits up in many unimaginable ways.

This likely manifested a scenario where the inability to deliver bespoke kits for the Man City game gave us the opportunity to null and void all contracts immediately, so we took it.

Things going tits up was likely very clear a long time before they actually did go tits up. O’Neills was probably being considered as a new supplier early in the tits up process (along with other manufacturers). When things did go tits up, O’Neills offered the best solution at that time, based on the clubs criteria at that time.

O’Neills are extremely competent kit manufacturers, but their core area of expertise is in providing kits for more utilitarian/physical sports. The material, design and (lack of) detailing on their kits - largely printing on one core fabric - reflects this. They’re not what is expected of a football kit.

No one wants to wear an O’Neills logo. It’s like when your mum bought you an item of school clothing that was technically a good, rational, grown-up choice… but you just knew everyone at school would take the piss out of you for wearing. The sort of situation where you end up with an unwanted nickname for the rest of your life (briefcase w*nker!).

The Hummel kits were things of beauty. The manufacturing of these kits, aligned to strong, unique, design concepts were unbelievable (the Ashton Gate 8 kit in particular - woven faces, cotton flags, embossed badges, printed text etc..)

Hummel enabled us to create custom kits. I imagine they had the footballing experience and expertise to translate our amateur design babblings into strong, coherent kits. They also had enough size/other clubs to rebuff our more nonsensical suggestions.

We’re probably quite a big footballing opportunity for O’Neills. They likely didn’t say no to our more nonsensical suggestions, and have more literally implemented our amateur design babblings (see slightly odd shade of yellow kit with a ten year old’s tracing of a stock image robin for a badge).

I actually wonder if us having some degree of creative control is a good thing. The flying robin is not to a professional standard, so it couldn’t have come from anyone but the club. It is atrociously bad. Even worse than the comic-sans inspired typeface on the training kit a few years back. I can say this with professional confidence.

Given the situation, the brief for all new kits should have been: “Don’t do anything stupid”. We did lots of stupid things.

I’d like to say we’ll learn a lesson from all of this with our next kit manufacturer… but I’ve been a City fan long enough to know that we won’t.

Anyway, that’s the way I see it in my currently very drunken state. I’ll likely see it the same way tomorrow when I’m sober, but I’ll be less verbose and just say: “Our kits are ******* terrible”.

Edited by SydneyCity
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 4

15 hours ago, Norn Iron said:

I did!

Feb 24th. Here it is again...

I'm pleased if it is O'Neill

The shirts will most probably be made in Strabane, Norn Iron or in Dublin. I will be passing nearby to the Strabane factory next week. If I can, I will ask at the main desk if they are making it.

Their Megastore in Derry is fantastic. I have been wondering for years if they could make decent football shirts as their GAA and Rugby sportswear is of really good quality.

Finally, when was the last time we had a shirt made in the UK or even Europe?  I think it was Nibor made in Stoke -on-Trent. You'll be lmpressed if it is O'Neill who has the contract. 

FWIW

Umbro is really owned by Iconix of USA.

Castore didn't even exist 10 years ago. 

O'Neills quality is good and well respected in this part of the UK. I really can't understand what the moaning and groaning is really about....unless for some reason, the shirts sent to BS3 are below the standard acceptable in the industry.

Have you seen / felt the product on sale at AG in person.  Genuine question not a dig at all.  Because the quality is absolutely shocking.   Not doubting the GAA stuff is good but presume that’s different materials being used.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Having replicas to sell isn’t the same as having match wearing stock to supply. 

I'd say the quality of the Hummel replicas currently far exceeds the quality of the ONeills ones. I'd be surprised if the match shirts are much different, especially at this level. I know Nike and Adidas do 'player issue' shirts that are more noticeably fitted but no sign of that from Hummel or Oneills 

22 minutes ago, Dredd said:

I'd say the quality of the Hummel replicas currently far exceeds the quality of the ONeills ones. I'd be surprised if the match shirts are much different, especially at this level. I know Nike and Adidas do 'player issue' shirts that are more noticeably fitted but no sign of that from Hummel or Oneills 

Match shirts are more durable than replicas, you wouldn’t want to go through too many games of professional football wearing a replica top. 

I have got the ONeills shirt and am very pleased with it. I reckon it looks good. Furthermore, I like the Flying Robin badge on the away kit. I know this seems to as it were fly in the face of the prevailing wind on here, but that's my take on it. 

Hummel let Bristol City and the supporters down. Yet they are looked upon with reverence on OTIB. If a player let us down the fan base wouldn't be so forgiving. 

A big thumbs up to O'Neills from me. Kits are being supplied and any supporter who wants one can get one. They are literally delivering the goods. Hummel were the equivalent of Tony Dinning.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 2

Maybe the question needs to be asked why the old kit suddenly turned up on hummels website when none was available for months. This might help explain why the club pulled the plug when others like Coventry didn’t 

As for the new stuff, must admit the flying robin is growing on me but on the training gear rather than on the kit 

• Like 3

FairPlay. The club have pulled a master stroke with this kit…they have to be commended  - no more supply / stock issues in the shop/on line …. As the kit is so bad that it always going to be available. I feel sorry for the larger people… the fitting of the kit does them no favours… get rid. Align ourselves with  the rugby and get Umbro in,  get Jon lansdown and his crayons no where near it…

20 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I have got the ONeills shirt and am very pleased with it. I reckon it looks good. Furthermore, I like the Flying Robin badge on the away kit. I know this seems to as it were fly in the face of the prevailing wind on here, but that's my take on it. 

Hummel let Bristol City and the supporters down. Yet they are looked upon with reverence on OTIB. If a player let us down the fan base wouldn't be so forgiving. 

A big thumbs up to O'Neills from me. Kits are being supplied and any supporter who wants one can get one. They are literally delivering the goods. Hummel were the equivalent of Tony Dinning.

Just saw the shirt up close it isn’t as bad as the pictures - logos are printed into the shirt but not the badge 

• Like 1

I was interested in the whole "reaching back to past kits" they went with the home kit and made a few kits based on the 1980/81 kits and the third based on 92/93 away but all by Umbro (the supplier of 80/81 kits. It's nothing mind blowing but I think it feels so much more "Bristol City" than what O'Neills deliver.

Bristol-City-Kits.png

• Like 12
  • Robin 1

17 hours ago, Spike said:

I was interested in the whole "reaching back to past kits" they went with the home kit and made a few kits based on the 1980/81 kits and the third based on 92/93 away but all by Umbro (the supplier of 80/81 kits. It's nothing mind blowing but I think it feels so much more "Bristol City" than what O'Neills deliver.

Bristol-City-Kits.png

I like that, take the shoulder logos down the sleeve and contrast cuff like the purple shirt and it's great. 
I do like the idea of the shirts being the same, just the colours change. 

• Like 2

On 10/05/2023 at 17:50, Walshy said:

If anyone's interested, Hummel are selling the remaining stock of this season's shirts for £30 each on their website. Home, away, third and GK's all on there and quite a few different sizes available:

https://www.hummel.co.uk/search?q=BCFC

I took delivery of last seasons Hummel home shirt for running etc today, good quality shirt, thanks for the link.

On 13/05/2023 at 14:39, Spike said:

Bristol-City-Kits.png

Enjoy these a lot

On 11/05/2023 at 14:09, Laner said:

Aren't O'Neills big in Ireland with Gaelic football shirts.

Can any fellow reds living in the Emerald Isle give us an idea of the quality of those shirts?

Have we just picked the lowest quality shirts possible - or are all of their kits questionable?

I have tons of O'Neills GAA gear and the quality is excellent. Some of the jerseys I have are the bones of 20 years old and more or less in perfect condition. Agree with Norn Iron that it'd be an aberration if our gear turns out to be poor quality.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, petehinton said:

Seems there is enough of the new kit going around at the club then if an Instagram content creator is being given free shirts by Scotty when they aren’t even available to fans yet….!

Annoyed me that  

F1A0014E-E14C-479B-96D5-2D682C1BF3A5.png

Maybe they were samples so to speak form the original delivery?

There has been plenty of opinion that some of the very first ones looked different that what would actually be sold.

• Robin 1

7 hours ago, petehinton said:

Seems there is enough of the new kit going around at the club then if an Instagram content creator is being given free shirts by Scotty when they aren’t even available to fans yet….!

Annoyed me that  

F1A0014E-E14C-479B-96D5-2D682C1BF3A5.png

probably so he can be seen wearing them…

Edited by exAtyeoMax