IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

7 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I definitely think there’ll be an element of that - but I also don’t think it can be a defence of the club. That’s how society is and if you’re going to move away from bigger brands there’s more pressure to get the product spot on.

All that said, it’s worth adding Hummel aren’t exactly the height of fashion and some of the in-house kits were pretty popular - particularly the promotion one, as was the pinstripes kit we wore during the cup run.

I think it comes down to quality. If you are charging the same price for an O'Neills shirt as a Hummel, Nike, Umbro etc then the quality of the garment has to match up or the design has to be so individual and appealing that people will look past the quality. Case in point is probably the first season we went with Bristol Sport as kit suppliers. The design was nice, a bit retro with a collar, P&L made a comeback, the quality wasn't great but I'd say it sold pretty well (successful season probably helped). 

This current shirt has neither appeal on quality or design. 

1 hour ago, glynriley said:

How many members are there...? You can see the depth of feeling on here with regard the dodgy robin, almost universal dissaproval.

I'm not a member so can't raise it, but you are I assume, so could you raise it on my behalf...? I'm sure others might be in the same boat.

Ok. I am not on the board of the SC&T, but I am a member and I have worked closely with Stu, Jon, Shahan and the others on the board on this topic.

I raised it months ago personally with Dave Barton, Club Director of Communications. That was partly done in conjunction with the SC&T board as part of the discussions we've had with Club over the past two years around the protection of heritage assets such as the name and badge. Those talks have stalled since Gould left to be replaced by Alexander, but the position of the SC&T has been made clear to the Club - there is to be no change to the badge without fan consultation.

The Club are aware of the feelings and concerns of some of the fanbase.

I have been told by Barton that when the 3rd strip is available for purchase by fans the Club will explain the reasons for moving the badge to the back of the shirt and replacing it with the "splat Robin" to use a phrase from OTIB.

So yes it's been raised.

Ps.

A) in my experience if you email the Club you will get a response.

B) Membership of the SC&T is £12 for the year https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/join/ and it would be great to have a new member join!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Ok. I am not on the board of the SC&T, but I am a member and I have worked closely with Stu, Jon, Shahan and the others on the board on this topic.

I raised it months ago personally with Dave Barton, Club Director of Communications. That was partly done in conjunction with the SC&T board as part of the discussions we've had with Club over the past two years around the protection of heritage assets such as the name and badge. Those talks have stalled since Gould left to be replaced by Alexander, but the position of the SC&T has been made clear to the Club - there is to be no change to the badge without fan consultation.

The Club are aware of the feelings and concerns of some of the fanbase.

I have been told by Barton that when the 3rd strip is available for purchase by fans the Club will explain the reasons for moving the badge to the back of the shirt and replacing it with the "splat Robin" to use a phrase from OTIB.

So yes it's been raised.

Ps.

A) in my experience if you email the Club you will get a response.

B) Membership of the SC&T is £12 for the year https://www.bristolcitysupporters.org/join/ and it would be great to have a new member join!

Just to add, and I've only just read the press releases today, that personally I don't think that:

"The Third shirt harks back to City’s look in the late 80s, inspired by the Robins’ yellow shirt and socks, and green shorts worn between 1988 and 1990. It features a one-off modern-style Robin motif as a nod to the one which graced the shirt during those years."

Fully explains this. Forgive my youth but can anyone recall the "motif" that "graced the shirt during those years" and is it really similar to the traced "splat Robin" that's on the third shirt.

If be genuinely interested to hear from people if they are satisfied with this two sentence explanation.

PS. Oh the joy at discovering this is supposed to be yet another "nod" to a past kit.

27 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Just to add, and I've only just read the press releases today, that personally I don't think that:

"The Third shirt harks back to City’s look in the late 80s, inspired by the Robins’ yellow shirt and socks, and green shorts worn between 1988 and 1990. It features a one-off modern-style Robin motif as a nod to the one which graced the shirt during those years."

Fully explains this. Forgive my youth but can anyone recall the "motif" that "graced the shirt during those years" and is it really similar to the traced "splat Robin" that's on the third shirt.

If be genuinely interested to hear from people if they are satisfied with this two sentence explanation.

PS. Oh the joy at discovering this is supposed to be yet another "nod" to a past kit.

Other than the fact they are both robins, although the new version could be any number of birds, the statement is a nonsense.

This is the kit it refers to, they'd have been better resurrecting the same badge, as they did on the white 3rd kit a few years back.

Edit: Isn't our new badge supposed to be "a one-off modern-style Robin"...?

bristol-city-away-football-shirt-1988-1990-s_3462_1.thumb.jpg.873c03925416e6b284eeab88bdca105d.jpg

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Other than the fact they are both robins, although the new version could be any number of birds, the statement is a nonsense.

This is the kit it refers to, they'd have been better resurrecting the same badge, as they did on the white 3rd kit a few years back.

bristol-city-away-football-shirt-1988-1990-s_3462_1.thumb.jpg.873c03925416e6b284eeab88bdca105d.jpg

I have a sneaking suspicion that if they’d put that badge on there, it would have flown off the shelves (and preferably not into a window, and then traced to make a new logo)

21 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

We should just be releasing our own copies of popular retro shirts and then having new shirts every season rather than rehashing a different past shirt every year.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

If the normal badge was on the front of the third kit, and the ‘Robin’ on the back, would people be happy with it?

Personally yes .. but if they took the thing off altogether that would be perfect 

Edited by Not Banksy

48 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

If the normal badge was on the front of the third kit, and the ‘Robin’ on the back, would people be happy with it?

Certainly content.

But, and I'm aware I've said this before on this very thread, it's utterly ludicrous that we've had four completely different badges on our shirts in four years.

It's a marketing and brand identity disaster, it defies logic let alone common sense and I refuse to believe any reputable, half-decent marketing executive would support it.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

49 minutes ago, KegCity said:

We should just be releasing our own copies of popular retro shirts and then having new shirts every season rather than rehashing a different past shirt every year.

I mean to be fair, we did even have a retro nod to the Danish '92 keepers kit. So we do shop around for our nostalgia.

2 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I mean to be fair, we did even have a retro nod to the Danish '92 keepers kit. So we do shop around for our nostalgia.

I am done with this nostalgia/ retro come back… junior lansdown may think it’s the rage… but he’s hardly the style icon design agency exec he thinks he is… just get rid. And bin off O’Neills now.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Very bad photoshop skills on my phone but this would be better wouldn't it?

image.png.6eba72a64ee852115dec699525bf0c5f.png

Yep. I actually quite like the shirt, it's just that dodgy robin. Not that I'm buying it at my age (& weight..!!)

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Not really a one off when it's on all the yellow kits! ?

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

I’d understand a “nod to the past” if it was bloody successful ?.

I’d hoped we’d be moving forward, not looking to the bloody past all the time.

• Admin
4 hours ago, glynriley said:

How many members are there...? You can see the depth of feeling on here with regard the dodgy robin, almost universal dissaproval.

I'm not a member so can't raise it, but you are I assume, so could you raise it on my behalf...? I'm sure others might be in the same boat.

Of course 

I am more than happy to raise at the next meeting (you'll probably have to remind me) 

Meetings are usually the first Wednesday in the month ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

So junior helps design the new badge a few years ago & now this new monstrosity is a nod to a robin we had on the shirt in the 80’s . Um we already got a robin on the shirt . It’s embarrassing to be honest 

• Like 2

So City think ....

They may be on nodding terms , but they certainly look nothing alike.

Screenshot2023-06-15at20_10_01.png.c6cc8de573185f67ff28f1229fec4933.png

Screenshot2023-06-15at20_13_20.png.09be342b0afb4500e1d8cbd628827275.png

Screenshot2023-06-15at20_10_54.png.bc2a30ff8d4e3b516e85392384493ade.png

Screenshot2023-06-15at20_12_28.png.0426602828972252ae89adcec925e1d2.png

• Like 2