IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

30 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I'm not usually one to criticise much, not really in my nature, but the lack of accountability regarding the change of badge has been absolutely shocking. It's not even that the design is w**k and amateurish, it's the lack of due process. Yes the Robin is new but I just don't like the precedent of changing something as important as the badge without even the hint of consultation.

Jon has proven himself to be an incompetent coward as Chairman. And I was always quite a fan of his when he was first elevated to the board.

Fair enough if the new Robin appeared on the back of the third shirt as a one off…but it’s on everything. 

• Like 1

I like the logo, as I said before it was on my school haversack. I like the colour , I have no probs with the blue I actually quite like it. 

It all falls down when you have the 2 together, you cannot see any link apart from Man City.

If they brought out those shirts in a range of colours , including Red I think they would be popular (allowing for price).

57 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Still nothing from Jon with regards to the new Robin. He was very keen to show off the process behind the new badge. 

I think often it is too easy to criticise the kits etc, if it had a different badge like Hummel or Umbro there would be a lot less noise . That said it really wouldn't take much to explain the decision with the badge. Explain the thought process and then (hopefully) say it was a mistake and we can move on.

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I think that’s the reason we won’t hear anything.

Sadly I think you may be right.

Strangely I think people would think more of him if he'd just came out, held his hands up and say he was wrong. Even just come out and explain what the train of thought was.  Avoiding things makes him look weak IMO.

Personally I feel like ultimately we will only probably have an O’Neills deal for 2/3 years like most other brands we’ve been with… so even though I have my opinion on how poor everything looks (and it does.. we look like amateurs and everyone can see it) … it will be over soon

I am a bit baffled tho by the fact we had a new bespoke badge designed for us like 2/3 years ago and now we’re using this splat robin.. and haven’t been told why at all. ?‍♂️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Still nothing from Jon with regards to the new Robin. He was very keen to show off the process behind the new badge. 

56 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

I'm not usually one to criticise much, not really in my nature, but the lack of accountability regarding the change of badge has been absolutely shocking. It's not even that the design is w**k and amateurish, it's the lack of due process. Yes the Robin is new but I just don't like the precedent of changing something as important as the badge without even the hint of consultation.

Jon has proven himself to be an incompetent coward as Chairman. And I was always quite a fan of his when he was first elevated to the board.

The two sentences in this press release are what we're getting.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/third-shirt-available-to-buy/

"The Third shirt harks back to City’s look in the late 80s, inspired by the Robins’ yellow shirt and socks, and green shorts worn between 1988 and 1990. It features a one-off modern-style Robin motif as a nod to the one which graced the shirt during those years."

It's um...not really an explanation imo.

• Thanks 1

Im not totally against the circular city wording that was used on old programmes but have we lost the plot... Its sky blue and looks like Man City and Cov. Don't they understand that there is a red side of Bristol and the sags.. The yellow and green kit with the eagle is worse but come on, who is making these school boy decisions. Bring back hummel. 

O'Neills... More like O'Dears

• Like 1

Not at all bothered about the training wear to be honest, but they need to get the away kit right. I actually quite like the look of the home (haven’t seen one up close so can’t speak to its physical quality) and the third would be fine if it weren’t for splat. Need to nail the away kit and a lot of the bad press will dissipate.

Edited by BCFCGav

54 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

All relevant to us, but especially interesting from 37:40. Clearly if the usual process for new kits takes 18 months, judging O'Neills too harshly on a timetable much much shorter than that seems a bit unfair. The real proof will be in less rushed kits, starting with the away kit. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SouthStand Sandwich said:

I think it’s around this time of year where fourfourtwo magazine publish best and worst kits in the league… we’ve got to be in with a shout for the worst for our 3rd kit?

I wouldn’t think they would care about the badge or the fact it’s O’Neils and besides that it’s a pretty standard yellow and green kit so unlikely to top any Best or Worst of polls. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The two sentences in this press release are what we're getting.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/third-shirt-available-to-buy/

"The Third shirt harks back to City’s look in the late 80s, inspired by the Robins’ yellow shirt and socks, and green shorts worn between 1988 and 1990. It features a one-off modern-style Robin motif as a nod to the one which graced the shirt during those years."

It's um...not really an explanation imo.

What badge is it supposedly nodding to?!?  Because it's not even remotely close to a robin on a football in front of the suspension bridge!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

What badge is it supposedly nodding to?!?  Because it's not even remotely close to a robin on a football in front of the suspension bridge!

I agree and have fed that back to the club.

It stinks of an explanation designed after the fact to justify a decision that hasn't gone down well.

8 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

What did the club say in relation to your feedback?

Nothing yet. I only sent the email last night and I suspect they're still doing their Tuesday morning meetings so probably haven't got to email admin just yet. Be patient please, these things take time.

In truth, our kits started taking a wrong turn as soon as we got rid of our old badge in 2019. 

The training kits are pathetic, the new 'robin' they have introduced is as tinpot as i've ever seen and the blue training kit is the cherry on the cake. It's nothing but an attempt by the club to get fans to buy more new merchandise, but it's being done on the cheap by them and the quality being put out is way below standard.

Why can't this club just keep things simple with one badge throughout (like Preston have done). Get rid of these pinstripes. I know it's a nod to 89/90, but we already did that in 2017/18 and that was a decent kit.

Just keep it Red shirts, white shorts, red/white socks and most fans are happy. 

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, 2015 said:

In truth, our kits started taking a wrong turn as soon as we got rid of our old badge in 2019. 

The training kits are pathetic, the new 'robin' they have introduced is as tinpot as i've ever seen and the blue training kit is the cherry on the cake. It's nothing but an attempt by the club to get fans to buy more new merchandise, but it's being done on the cheap by them and the quality being put out is way below standard.

Why can't this club just keep things simple with one badge throughout (like Preston have done). Get rid of these pinstripes. I know it's a nod to 89/90, but we already did that in 2017/18 and that was a decent kit.

I agree 100%

“Design is the silent ambassador of your brand.”  -  Paul Rand.

Lets just think on the 'blue' thing for a moment.

We are historically Red and white, always have been - thats our core identity in football terms.

Blue is and has always been associated with our arch rivals.

With the inclusion of Rugby at the ground, Blue as a visual theme has snuck in, but there is obv clear water between us as teams - even allowing for this Bristol Sport umberella Brand stuff.

Managing the City 'brand' and identity surely means identifying what Fans recognise as sacrosanct, and that is keeping Blue out of the equation ? (and I appreciate that there will be some fans that are 'meh!' about this, but why don't we run a poll to see how it plays out?)

I know football is tainted with business nowadays, Cardiff bluebirds/Red Dragons is an example of that, plus the endless renaming of stands - replacing history with commercial sponsorship

But there is no reasonable reason for introducing Blue as part of our kit, it just makes a mockery of our identity over a very long period of history.

If our design team aren't capable of designing training wear and kit that uses our identity then they should be replaced. ********.

it's quite simple.

'COME ON YOU REDS'

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

All relevant to us, but especially interesting from 37:40. Clearly if the usual process for new kits takes 18 months, judging O'Neills too harshly on a timetable much much shorter than that seems a bit unfair. The real proof will be in less rushed kits, starting with the away kit. 

I agree and this shines a light on Hummel (Elite Sports Group really)  and how they have messed up not just with us.. but on O’Neills .. they were with Wycombe for years and their kits looked naff from the beginning to the end of their partnership 

Edited by Not Banksy

2 hours ago, 2015 said:

Totally agree.

We have tried to be far too ‘clever’ with the merchandise in recent years IMO. Chopping and changing badges/logo’s, constantly remaking old designs and now to top it off we have a manufacturer that clearly isn’t up to scratch and the quality just isn’t there.

It may seem boring but you are spot on in what you are saying, just keep things bloody simple. We have a newly designed Robin badge which i think by the most part has been accepted by the fanbase now. Why the club can’t just stick with using that god only knows.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Totally agree.

We have tried to be far too ‘clever’ with the merchandise in recent years IMO. Chopping and changing badges/logo’s, constantly remaking old designs and now to top it off we have a manufacturer that clearly isn’t up to scratch and the quality just isn’t there.

It may seem boring but you are spot on in what you are saying, just keep things bloody simple. We have a newly designed Robin badge which i think by the most part has been accepted by the fanbase now. Why the club can’t just stick with using that god only knows.

It is boring but that's the way it is, the majority prefer the usual kits - Red, white shorts, red or white socks. That IS Bristol City. Not these stupid comeback kits they keep doing, and I include the nostalgic purple and lime in that too. 

Keep one badge for the entire club on the training gear and the official kits. 

I think we're trying to create an identity of our own but imo it's completely failing. 

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Nothing yet. I only sent the email last night and I suspect they're still doing their Tuesday morning meetings so probably haven't got to email admin just yet. Be patient please, these things take time.

We can’t afford to be patient. This scandal needs an explanation now, before it’s too late. 

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Just looked at the online store. Either I’m blind or I’m seeing they’ve got nothing in yet in terms of training or leisure wear?

Not that I’d buy. But find that rather odd and even amateurish if so! 

The whole thing is amateurish. The store, website and design is seriously lacking quality and has been for some time now.

Everything else about the club is going in the right direction. But the above still needs addressing I think.

• Like 3