IGNORED

O'Neills - New Kit Supplier (Confirmed)

• Admin
10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Heads need to roll over this in my opinion. It has been a monumental f up. For too long we have been too cosy off of the field and that's what leads to absolute shite like this. Complacency. If we want to be premier league, then we need premier league members of staff who out perform their roles. 

Realistically the ONLY way the club will take notice is if people don't buy it 

But sadly we all know that we could bring a strip out in blue and white quarters and a selection of supporters would buy it 

Mind you the club are sneaky in giving away the kids shirt, I bet those numbers get included in sales figures to cloud the situation 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

But sadly we all know that we could bring a strip out in blue and white quarters and a selection of supporters would buy it 

Mind you the club are sneaky in giving away the kids shirt, I bet those numbers get included in sales figures to cloud the situation 

To be honest i would be absolutely shocked if the club say in 4/5 months time aren’t down on sales in comparison to the last few years.

As you said you will always get a hardcore of fans that will buy what ever shite the club dish out and more fool them, but I genuinely think there are thousands of supporters like myself that purchase items on look and quality that won’t be spending a penny this season.

Edited by Bris Red
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, The Journalist said:

We're obviously a smaller club than Leeds, with a much smaller fan base, but when you look at the absolute stink they kicked up over their proposed change of badge (it became a pretty big national sports news story - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43157773) it shows what can be done. I refuse to believe that our current ownership is less engaged than the Leeds board at that time, who were notoriously out of the tune with the supporters!

A huge number of fans are pretty angry that the club have - without notice - taken a stock image off Getty and turned it into a new club crest that sits on one of our shirts, all over our training wear and on the wall of the training ground. And the absolute least the SC&T should be doing, in my opinion, is driving that feeling into the local press to apply wider pressure on the club.

Am I going over the top with this view? That's not a rhetorical question - completely happy if people want to tell me I'm misreading the room. The above is how I feel, but not necessarily everyone.

Good example re Leeds.

FWIW, I don't think you're going over the top with it at all.

As I said on a previous post, I think the reaction to this would be much more dramatic if we happened to have a foreign owner. Can you imagine the uproar if the son of our new Saudi Arabian owner, Sheikh Muhammed Al-Lansdown, had randomly changed the badge on one of our kits to a picture from google images with no fan consultation? It would probably make news across the EFL, with the classic narrative of 'dodgy foreign owner dicking around with a club's identity'. 

• Robin 1

53 minutes ago, phantom said:

I've not even redeemed my child's free shirt yet and I certainly won't be buying either the home or the 3rd shirt for myself. 

I am a SC&T board member and moreover I write the minutes!

I am afraid I do not visit OTIB a lot because of my involvement not only with SC&T but also Local History Society, Parish Council and latterly the matchday programme.  I will start a new topic about the programme shortly - you will understand WHY then.  Having been alerted to this topic, I have read it all through before entering the fray:

The Club launched the new kit without any discussion or warning of any sort with the SC&T.  It does go against provisions of the Fans Led Review recommendations but more importantly against the Memorandum of Understanding SIGNED BY SC&T AND BCFC when Richard Gould was CEO.  We have gone back to the Club over this issue but I am afraid it is all done and dusted.  I can understand contributors being disappointed we did not make a public fuss over the issue; we did not think that was the way forward.  What prompted the new bird design - looking like anything but a robin - is a mystery.  Up to that point the Club had been adamant in using the new Robin badge.

I think we need to be seen more as a campaigning group.  We DO publish our meetings and since being online we have had a take-up that we did not get previously with traditional face to face meetings.  So there has been an improvement and we are sticking with online meetings as a result.  I would say the minutes are in a normal format - I have done them for several other organisations - and the ACTIONS are clearly listed and progress on them is reported at the next meeting.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER TO ATTEND MEETINGS - if you are interested they are on the first Wednesday each month and the link is available from me via info@bristolcitysupporters.org.

I think many OTIB contributors could provide a refreshing point of view.

We look forward to seeing you..

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Blagdon Mike said:

I am afraid I do not visit OTIB a lot because of my involvement not only with SC&T but also Local History Society, Parish Council and latterly the matchday programme.  I will start a new topic about the programme shortly - you will understand WHY then.  Having been alerted to this topic, I have read it all through before entering the fray:

The Club launched the new kit without any discussion or warning of any sort with the SC&T.  It does go against provisions of the Fans Led Review recommendations but more importantly against the Memorandum of Understanding SIGNED BY SC&T AND BCFC when Richard Gould was CEO.  We have gone back to the Club over this issue but I am afraid it is all done and dusted.  I can understand contributors being disappointed we did not make a public fuss over the issue; we did not think that was the way forward.  What prompted the new bird design - looking like anything but a robin - is a mystery.  Up to that point the Club had been adamant in using the new Robin badge.

I think we need to be seen more as a campaigning group.  We DO publish our meetings and since being online we have had a take-up that we did not get previously with traditional face to face meetings.  So there has been an improvement and we are sticking with online meetings as a result.  I would say the minutes are in a normal format - I have done them for several other organisations - and the ACTIONS are clearly listed and progress on them is reported at the next meeting.  YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER TO ATTEND MEETINGS - if you are interested they are on the first Wednesday each month and the link is available from me via info@bristolcitysupporters.org.

Mike

Thanks for your response, I think most of our frustrations are aimed at the club and the non existent fan dialogue from them

Just one question, could you not post the link on here directly?

Frankly, since Beryl departed, the Club’s commercial side has been a shambles. 

That’s starting pre The Lansdown’s. Admittedly, it’s not improved, indeed probably got worse under their tenure. That decline accelerated by Hummel letting us down big time.

The Club needs to engage with fans in this aspect of its business affairs more than any other.  

Beryl had her finger on the pulse. She knew what the fans wanted and delivered. That’s because she regularly talked to, and - critically - listened to people on the terraces and in ‘her’ shop. That was her ‘market research’, not some insular team of professionals locked in some remote ivory tower. She was a success, the products sold well and there was a real buzz about the commercial side.

The Club needs a massive reset in this area. Will it happen? Not so sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

The Club needs to engage with fans in this aspect of its business affairs more than any other.  

The mad thing is they really don't. It's so so simple to get right. People want a nice kit, a wacky keeper kit. A smart training kit and some decent accessories (hats/gloves/caps/coats etc).

That's it. The thick ***** can't even get gloves and hats in stock for winter 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedRock said:

Frankly, since Beryl departed, the Club’s commercial side has been a shambles. 

That’s starting pre The Lansdown’s. Admittedly, it’s not improved, indeed probably got worse under their tenure. That decline accelerated by Hummel letting us down big time.

Beryl had her finger on the pulse. She knew what the fans wanted and delivered. That’s because she regularly talked to, and - critically - listened to people on the terraces and in ‘her’ shop. That was her ‘market research’, not some insular team of professionals locked in some remote ivory tower. She was a success, the products sold well and there was a real buzz about the commercial side.

The Club needs a massive reset in this area. Will it happen? Not so sure. 

Point of order. Hummel didn't let us down, the distributor did.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Heads need to roll over this in my opinion. It has been a monumental f up. For too long we have been too cosy off of the field and that's what leads to absolute shite like this. Complacency. If we want to be premier league, then we need premier league members of staff who out perform their roles. 

This. Reminds me of the '80s, absolute tinpot behind the scenes. The people involved may be well meaning and loyal, perhaps, but if they're incompetent then they need to go. Merchandise sales are important and establish the club with the fans and more widely - I'm a 54 year old and I love a bit of decent City stuff, but bloody unicorns? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Blagdon Mike said:

Thanks for taking the time to reply Mike.

Would someone from the Trust be able to say why the decision was made to not make a fuss over the rebranding, given that the club had only just undertaken the MOU? - I'm sure there is a logical explanation, but it immediately undermines the signed agreement, it has generated 60+ pages of comments and a degree of Forum 'outrage', but that doesn't seem to have resulted in a supporters group voicing a similar level of concern with the club. I'm surprised that the club didn't issue some sort of statement trying to justify what they've done, but equally, I'm not remotely surprised one bit. 

If it's a case that the club just aren't expected to listen to view and even if they did, they'd do nothing anyway - then fair enough (although that would call in to question the point of any dialogue with them at all). But surely if these wider views aren't presented in a 'we'll make as much noise as possible, and look to call out other disasters, like the centenary shirt and that training gear with the comic-sans font' then aside from any decision maker happening across this thread, how are the feeling of the majority of contributors shared with the club?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'm really surprised at this. Have always bought GAA jerseys over the years from O'Neills and they're generally fantastic quality, better than most old City shirts I've had. Honestly no idea what has gone on here.

Tin hat on, how many of the people complaining about the shirt quality have actually held/worn one? I share the frustrations about the splat robin and poor communication from the club, but I won't speak on the shirt quality until I've bought one and seen for myself. I remain mildly optimistic. 

11 hours ago, Blagdon Mike said:

Great reply Mike, you do great work. I hope I've not said anything out of turn on here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

Tin hat on, how many of the people complaining about the shirt quality have actually held/worn one? I share the frustrations about the splat robin and poor communication from the club, but I won't speak on the shirt quality until I've bought one and seen for myself. I remain mildly optimistic. 

Hi pal, you’ve just got trawl through previous pages on this topic to find out about the fit and quality… 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Would someone from the Trust be able to say why the decision was made to not make a fuss over the rebranding, given that the club had only just undertaken the MOU?

If they kick up a fuss they may lose the limited access they actually get to the club, and they like the access.

1 hour ago, BCFCGav said:

I have, when they were out on public sale end of last season.  It’s a bit of an in joke with my City supporting mates about how cross I was about the new kit,  but when they actually saw it and felt it they all, to a man agreed.  It’s tinpot.  It’s genuinely awful, feels like something you’d get from Wish.  In fact my mate got the orange and grey Hummel 3rd kit from Wish (as it had sold out in official channels) and it was better quality than the new ON’s kit!   We will always have those who blindly support the club and whatever they do (there’s one such bloke in our group) but unless the quality has changed for this seasons offering - and judging by the pics of the collar this looks doubtful - then it’s awful and even he agreed.  Not that any of us are great shirt wearers, but a few of us might get something each year if it’s decent.  No one in my group will purchase it apart from the one who has every City shirt since he started going in the late 80s and that’s purely for his collection. 

• Like 1

From reading the above and the Supporters Trust view of “it’s been done, we can’t do much”

What is the reaction going to be from the supporters trust when the away kit is released, which I fully believe is going to be blue? 

As per my name, we simply do not play in blue, the last few years we would have had a new badge (which I actually like), to the tracing of a free image on Google (search Robin in flight), to now I fully believe playing in blue?

This isn’t knocking the supporters trust at all as I fully understand how closed the club is, but surely there should be something ready to go the instant a blue away kit is released.

• Admin
12 hours ago, frenchred said:

Mike

Thanks for your response, I think most of our frustrations are aimed at the club and the non existent fan dialogue from them

Just one question, could you not post the link on here directly?

@frenchred which link are you referring to?

26 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

From reading the above and the Supporters Trust view of “it’s been done, we can’t do much”

What is the reaction going to be from the supporters trust when the away kit is released, which I fully believe is going to be blue? 

As per my name, we simply do not play in blue, the last few years we would have had a new badge (which I actually like), to the tracing of a free image on Google (search Robin in flight), to now I fully believe playing in blue?

This isn’t knocking the supporters trust at all as I fully understand how closed the club is, but surely there should be something ready to go the instant a blue away kit is released.

I would assume that it will be the same answer as above, the club hasn't consulted the SC&T about the new away kit

I am not sure why they should have any reaction to pre-empt something that hasn't been released yet 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

@frenchred which link are you referring to?

I would assume that it will be the same answer as above, the club hasn't consulted the SC&T about the new away kit

I am not sure why they should have any reaction to pre-empt something that hasn't been released yet 

As there hasn’t been any public reaction from the Supporters Trust regarding the new Robin on the third kit, bar as I said “it’s already done”

If/When the away kit is blue, is there going to be a public statement from the supporters trust? Regardless if the club is consulting anyone, as in my eyes that’s treating the fans with even more contempt.

If that is the POV of the trust, that their hands are tied and there is no point is engaging/releasing statements, then what is the point of the supporters trust or any fans movement? 

There should of been backlash regarding the Robin, there HAS to be backlash if the away kit is blue.

Or do we just sit here going “well we have a nice stadium, arnt we lucky”

• Admin
1 minute ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

As there hasn’t been any public reaction from the Supporters Trust regarding the new Robin on the third kit, bar as I said “it’s already done”

If/When the away kit is blue, is there going to be a public statement from the supporters trust? Regardless if the club is consulting anyone, as in my eyes that’s treating the fans with even more contempt.

If that is the POV of the trust, that their hands are tied and there is no point is engaging/releasing statements, then what is the point of the supporters trust or any fans movement? 

There should of been backlash regarding the Robin, there HAS to be backlash if the away kit is blue.

Or do we just sit here going “well we have a nice stadium, arnt we lucky”

That ISN'T the view of the trust, this is what I have written

But it is clearly explained further up this thread what happened in the past, joking aside what happens if there is a positive reaction to a blue kit?

Perhaps we should wait until the kit is released and see what happens

1 minute ago, phantom said:

That ISN'T the view of the trust, this is what I have written

But it is clearly explained further up this thread what happened in the past, joking aside what happens if there is a positive reaction to a blue kit?

Perhaps we should wait until the kit is released and see what happens

We don’t play in blue though, it’s not part of our history, our rivals play in blue, if we sport a blue away kit it just proves more to the point that we are a very rich persons play thing. 

The view of the trust was stated before in this thread that it has already been done so there isn’t anything that can be done, there is, there could be pressure put on the club, statements etc.

I don’t mean this in an at all nasty way, but reading the minutes of the trust, what are they actively doing for fans? If you take man united supporters trust for example, they still actively put a lot of statements out. 

Reading the minutes and there just isn’t anything of real impact there. 

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

We don’t play in blue though, it’s not part of our history

You may want to have a look at our history in more detail

For what it is worth I do not disagree with you on this, but you are going after the wrong people on this

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

You may want to have a look at our history in more detail

For what it is worth I do not disagree with you on this, but you are going after the wrong people on this

History in more details? FA Cup Final in 1909 which was really before rovers adopted blue, they had a light blue and white hoop for a few years in the 1900.

Other than that, Wembley , the champagne gold with blue piping? The only really blue kit is the FA Cup final one. 

114 year anniversary blue away kit to celebrate our FA Cup Final.

Blue is not ingrained in our history, it never has been. 

The supporters trust website states “find out more about our work representing fans” 

It’s pretty clear that the vast majority of fans wouldn’t want a splat Robin, nor a blue kit, the pressure has to come from somewhere. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1