IGNORED

Zak Vyner player of the season so far

BS3_RED

It’s great to have a squad, any of whom I am happy to start matches. Zak’s form has been a great surprise, but Cam Pring is fast becoming one of my favourite players, I should imagine that opposing wingers must find themselves having a much harder time than they would have had over the last few seasons, when Managers saw us as a light touch.

• Robin 1

5 hours ago, BS3_RED said:

for me

After a start to the season that got him some stick (not by me) wow. This lad for me has been a huge reason for our improvement and looks like a proper centre half. I thought he was outstanding at times yesterday with his positioning to block of runs etc.

Certainly the most improved player without question.

As everyone else is getting a thread I wanted to give Zak the credit he has earned.

I was one of those who thought Vyner this time last year would never play Championship football, how he’s proved me and so many wrong. Certainly in my view our most consistent player this season he used to make individual mistakes every game now I can recount a mistake he’s done this season looks strong,quick and composed lots to be awarded to Nige and his coaching team for the improvement in Vyner as well of course

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tin said:

Without doubt, Vyner’s most improved player of the year and he’s in contention for POTY but he’s not a shoo-in IMO. I never thought the penny would drop with him at this level, but I love to eat humble pie and fair play to him.

Yes, a bit of recent-form revisionism going on.  if we call this section of the season the middle third, I’m not sure many were touting him for POTY in the first third of the season.

I’m enjoying his maturing performances, absolutely…and totally he should be in the conversation for the award, but he’s not a shoe-in, other equally decent candidates imho.  Wells for one.  Conway if he comes back. James another.

Well done Zak though.

• Like 1

For me the Vyner story is almost akin to the Bobby Reid one. A player that was on the road to leaving the club, before coming our player of the year.

For a player that was so derided by the fanbase (myself included) to rise phoenix from the flames like, to become arguably our most consistent defender is perhaps unheralded in my 45 years of watching City.

Fair play to you Zak, something has clicked. The standard catastrophic error(s) that characterizes your gameplay seem to have been cut out, and you are playing with a maturity and confidence that belies everything that went before.

I get the feeling even Pearson didn't see this transformation coming.?

• Like 3

I would vote for Zak if the poll was now, The run in will be interesting with one of the other contenders out (Rob A) and others like James/Scott also playing well in this turn around of form. Naismith would/could become a strong contender if he returns soon to the midfield role he was excelling at before injury. Sykes and Pring also high up on the list for me.

But my money is on Zak to continue his form and to be POTY, I was another naysayer, but could not be more happy for him and the club.

21 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, a bit of recent-form revisionism going on.  if we call this section of the season the middle third, I’m not sure many were touting him for POTY in the first third of the season.

I’m enjoying his maturing performances, absolutely…and totally he should be in the conversation for the award, but he’s not a shoe-in, other equally decent candidates imho.  Wells for one.  Conway if he comes back. James another.

Well done Zak though.

I think that's a little harsh.  No-one would have been touting him of POTY, but I do think he's played well right from the start and just continued to get better.  There have been no real pre-22/23 style errors from him so I think in terms of consistency and progression he's had a good season as a whole rather than just a good middle third.  Consider also that he's had ever changing partners at the back there and it's not phased him in any way.

I also agree that Wells is high up on the list as well.  This season has seen a lot of surprise packages/character redemption arcs really!

• Like 4

Just now, Steve Watts said:

I also agree that Wells is high up on the list as well.  This season has seen a lot of surprise packages/character redemption arcs really!

O'Leary, Vyner, Wells all fall into the redemption. Pring too?

DaSilva and Massengo had some encouraging early games too but haven't maintained for quite different reasons.

14 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

O'Leary, Vyner, Wells all fall into the redemption. Pring too?

DaSilva and Massengo had some encouraging early games too but haven't maintained for quite different reasons.

I would also include Tommy and, to a lesser extent, Sammy in the surprise packages as well.  Tommy in particular has looked like he's been playing first team football for years as opposed to just being a hot prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

I think that's a little harsh.  No-one would have been touting him of POTY, but I do think he's played well right from the start and just continued to get better.  There have been no real pre-22/23 style errors from him so I think in terms of consistency and progression he's had a good season as a whole rather than just a good middle third.  Consider also that he's had ever changing partners at the back there and it's not phased him in any way.

Yes it is, but I’m referring to the shouts from OTIB (not my own) of Vyner being “league one at best” that still were happening on here in October (unfairly imho). It’s their revisionism I’m referring too.  I’ve long argued a player with 100+ Champ appearances isn’t league one at best 

FWIW, I do think he really came of age against Swansea (h) when Atkinson pulled out pre-game and he had to lead Tanner and Pring through the game.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes it is, but I’m referring to the shouts from OTIB (not my own) of Vyner being “league one at best” that still were happening on here in October (unfairly imho). It’s their revisionism I’m referring too.  I’ve long argued a player with 100+ Champ appearances isn’t league one at best 

FWIW, I do think he really came of age against Swansea (h) when Atkinson pulled out pre-game and he had to lead Tanner and Pring through the game.  

My bad, sorry Dave. And yes, I completely agree about that Swansea match. @sinenomine have often labelled that match as his Louis Carey moment where he stopped needing the safety net of experience next to him when Shaun Taylor got injured.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

My bad, sorry Dave. And yes, I completely agree about that Swansea match. @sinenomine have often labelled that match as his Louis Carey moment where he stopped needing the safety net of experience next to him when Shaun Taylor got injured.

No apology required, I didn’t word it very well in the first place. ??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly what I said a few months back (long before that game) that as good as the improved form he was showing was the one thing missing from his game was leadership (perhaps stuff like that is why Nige persisted with three centre halves for so long). Then, as you say, he's put into a position by accident where he has no choice but to show some leadership....................and he hasn't looked back since. You can literally see that the lad now feels comfortable and confident playing at the level and every game isn't an ordeal he's just got to "get through unscathed".

• Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Exactly what I said a few months back (long before that game) that as good as the improved form he was showing was the one thing missing from his game was leadership (perhaps stuff like that is why Nige persisted with three centre halves for so long). Then, as you say, he's put into a position by accident where he has no choice but to show some leadership....................and he hasn't looked back since. You can literally see that the lad now feels comfortable and confident playing at the level and every game isn't an ordeal he's just got to "get through unscathed".

It’s exactly why (imho). Nige got asked when Kal first got inured first time around, whether Rob would move into the middle and he came out with his “introvert” comment and said he couldn’t play in the middle.  Zak was still focusing on his own game, trying to complete a 95-minute concentration game.  It’s why King was picked there.

But maybe (at least I hope) Kingy showed Zak how to play the role from a leaders perspective…and then when thrown in, Zak knew the ropes.

People will say - told you we should’ve played a back four.

But the personnel weren’t ready.

If they were, I’m sure Nige would’ve done it.

• Like 3

On 26/02/2023 at 10:05, downendcity said:

Has Max replacing Bentley in goal made a difference to the collective confidence of the defence in front of him?

Underrated part for me.

Bentley never was at all preemptive with communicating with his defenders. O'Leary is less vocal than Bents was, the problem with Bents was it was all reactive - used to give me kittens when he'd come and and try punching it without a shout to his defenders.

Can't remember the game it was against, but earlier in the season before he got injured Kalas all but headed a ball out of a waiting pair of gloves that O'Leary gave a clear shout for, still can't believe people thought it was Max's fault - simply because Bents never left his line nor commanded his area.

Max still gives a me kittens with his distribution at times, but that mostly comes down to lack of experience, easy to forget that he only has circa 80+apps above non-league.

For context, Zak has 180+.

3 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Not after the way Zak has played tonight, he's totally regressed to the poor level he was at the start of the season, so disappointing to see it all go wrong for him on the big stage, 

Just out of curiosity, how long exactly have you been waiting for an opportunity to get on his back? Must have been incredibly disappointing to have to sit through so many excellent performances by him before your moment came up. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Just out of curiosity, how long exactly have you been waiting for an opportunity to get on his back? Must have been incredibly disappointing to have to sit through so many excellent performances by him before your moment came up. 

I am really disappointed for him, been singing his name each week as he's been a rock at the back for us these last 12 games , don't change the fact that it's all gone wrong for him tonight, I just hope he comes back strong 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, winsaw said:

I am really disappointed for him, been singing his name each week as he's been a rock at the back for us these last 12 games , don't change the fact that it's all gone wrong for him tonight, I just hope he comes back strong 

He hasn't even been that bad, and that's forgetting it's against the champions ffs. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

18 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Except that didn't really happen. He's played relatively solidly - not as well as Kalas for sure. He was unlucky with the own goal and got exposed by two world class players at one point. That's really not the disastrous performance you are painting it as. 

If you've genuinely been singing his name for each week for the last twelve games and have immediately posted this, all that tells us is that you are either a hypocrite or a troll. I genuinely don't know which of those is the more embarrassing. 

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 14

17 minutes ago, winsaw said:

Not after the way Zak has played tonight, he's totally regressed to the poor level he was at the start of the season, so disappointing to see it all go wrong for him on the big stage, 

I'm Mr negative as lots tell me but my god this is a shit shout!

• Like 11