IGNORED

Jason Knight signed from Derby - Confirmed

Bat Fastard

11 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was one to admit I was wrong on James. His impact was noticeable. However so was Naismith’s impact when he missed time after the midfield switch. I’d prefer us to drop the 10 and one of the pivots. Have one “holding” and 2 more box to box. Obviously the midfield I mentioned would be fluid as both Scott and Knight can drop in and rotate. 

James is what 32 now? Had a few major injuries in his career and last year of deal. I don’t really see him being dropped or anything but I don’t see him really having as many minutes as the past couple of seasons. 

James will be the first name on the time sheet if fit and in form. No question.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was one to admit I was wrong on James. His impact was noticeable. However so was Naismith’s impact when he missed time after the midfield switch. I’d prefer us to drop the 10 and one of the pivots. Have one “holding” and 2 more box to box. Obviously the midfield I mentioned would be fluid as both Scott and Knight can drop in and rotate. 

James is what 32 now? Had a few major injuries in his career and last year of deal. I don’t really see him being dropped or anything but I don’t see him really having as many minutes as the past couple of seasons. 

There’s a big part of me that wants him to play more minutes:

image.png.d82721e502bcfe657b9143e763ba4519.png

In the last 2 seasons he’s play circa 2/3rds of the minutes.  I’d like that to be higher, but I’d settle for the above if the missing games were due to pro-active rest rather than injury.  That would be a sign of the squad improving.

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There’s a big part of me that wants him to play more minutes:

image.png.d82721e502bcfe657b9143e763ba4519.png

In the last 2 seasons he’s play circa 2/3rds of the minutes.  I’d like that to be higher, but I’d settle for the above if the missing games were due to pro-active rest rather than injury.  That would be a sign of the squad improving.

Thank god, I thought I was going mad after defending James the other day when people were calling him average 

• Haha 1

Probably unpopular opinion here but James has been good in an average side. Think he would be average in a good side. 

Happy to be proven wrong again, but if he plays more than any of Naismith, Scott or Knight in midfield think we would be selling ourselves short. Caveat is if Naismith is afforded midfield minutes full time. 

For me, he is fine but we are becoming more athletic and for me that says higher intensity and pressing and I just don’t think he has the legs for it over the whole season. I think the 3 of Scott, Naismith and Knight can all rotate nicely dropping in to that deeper playmaker role. 

Not saying there isn’t a role or minutes for him. Just for me I think perhaps we have outgrown the player he is now. Same with Williams btw. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 3

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Probably unpopular opinion here but James has been good in an average side. Think he would be average in a good side. 

That paragraph right there is a clear sign of squad improvement and progress if that’s the case. Would be happy if he was the worst option we had because he is a very good midfielder.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Happy to be proven wrong again, but if he plays more than any of Naismith, Scott or Knight in midfield think we would be selling ourselves short. Caveat is if Naismith is afforded midfield minutes full time. 

For me, he is fine but we are becoming more athletic and for me that says higher intensity and pressing and I just don’t think he has the legs for it over the whole season. I think the 3 of Scott, Naismith and Knight can all rotate nicely dropping in to that deeper playmaker role. 

Not saying there isn’t a role or minutes for him. Just for me I think perhaps we have outgrown the player he is now. Same with Williams btw. 

Naismith hasn’t anywhere near the midfield nouse of James 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hxj said:

It's so easy to spend someone else's money.

Speculating about transfer targets is what football forums are for isnt it??

what we dont want to get caught up in is getting caught up in signing more expensive signings to replace the guys who weve already signed who were cheaper just because we can,, and end up with a load of deadwood,,, just like the ashton days!! We might have seen a bit of that with the kane wilson signing and replacement with mccrorie.

21 minutes ago, BLRed said:

That paragraph right there is a clear sign of squad improvement and progress if that’s the case. Would be happy if he was the worst option we had because he is a very good midfielder.

Not saying he is the worst mind! Much stronger midfield if Scott stays and Knight comes in. Just would rather see Naismith Scott and Knight with more minutes than James. 

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

If Matty James is fit he starts every game imo. He’s one of those players that some won’t notice . He knits together & controls the tempo in midfield. Fantastic player at championship level. 

He does and I appreciate what he has done over the past couple of seasons. I just feel we can get that from Scott and Naismith while also being a bit bigger and a lot more athletic at that spot. A higher ceiling if you will. 

11 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Naismith hasn’t anywhere near the midfield nouse of James 

Of course James is a lifetime CM. Naismith was impressive though I thought considering not a familiar position. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not saying he is the worst mind! Much stronger midfield if Scott stays and Knight comes in. Just would rather see Naismith Scott and Knight with more minutes than James. 

He does and I appreciate what he has done over the past couple of seasons. I just feel we can get that from Scott and Naismith while also being a bit bigger and a lot more athletic at that spot. A higher ceiling if you will. 

Of course James is a lifetime CM. Naismith was impressive though I thought considering not a familiar position. 

Naismith is a footballer who thrives on making the "killer" pass wherever he plays. And because he's a Championship standard player, and isn't  in the same class as Messi, some go awry. 

Do we benefit more from the positive passes than the Downs league ones? Yes!

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Speculating about transfer targets is what football forums are for isnt it??

It is - but the club have made it perfectly clear by action which market we are in, it's spending 0-£1.5 million.  To be spent mainly on those the club can develop, with the odd older wiser head where needed.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Completely different players though 

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

If Matty James is fit he starts every game imo. He’s one of those players that some won’t notice . He knits together & controls the tempo in midfield. Fantastic player at championship level. 

He's a solid Midfielder at this level and when he takes a knock for a few games we generally tend to go off the rails a bit (3-0 at Birmingham for example). 

• Like 1

Our midfield is looking tasty, can’t lie. Knight will add even more energy and bite that suits our play style. Amazing we have signed him considering only a couple of years ago people would have laughed at us even being linked to him. Really shows the progress we have made

• Like 1