IGNORED

Towler, goalscorer.

1960maaan

Sorry..........but i do believe it was a mistake letting him go.  However as a young ambitious player, his playing minutes would have been restricted if he stayed, so it is understandable that he wished for regular football.  It is a real dilemma to be fair, wish he had stayed, but understand why he left?  Best of luck Ryley, see you next season in the Championship?

• Like 2

I do wonder if he might turn out to be one “who got away” in terms of our Academy players who have broken thorough to the first team but then had restricted opportunities. Will he be a better player than Vyner in a couple of years’ time? Very likely I would suggest. And given our dearth of central defenders last night, the thought of Andy King coming on to replace an injured Kalas or Vyner, doesn’t bear thinking about.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Good luck to him, lovely lad.

The comment about being “better than Vyner” is interesting.

Zak is in contention for player of the season in The Championship, Ryley has barely played at that standard & found it very difficult when he did, so that’s some leap of faith to say this.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Good luck to him, lovely lad.

The comment about being “better than Vyner” is interesting.

Zak is in contention for player of the season in The Championship, Ryley has barely played at that standard & found it very difficult when he did, so that’s some leap of faith to say this.

At the same age as Riley now (20), I don’t think Zak was pulling up trees. He had a lot of loans, some more successful than others. He has done well this year, in part because he has had to step up. Before this season , I don’t think anyone would have predicted Vyner in a centre back pairing being our preferred option.

What Towler might also have over Vyner is goal-scoring ability. 3 already in League 1 this season for Ryley. Atkinson clearly has it, whereas Vyner doesn’t. Doesn’t make him better yet per se, but it’s an additional attribute.

10 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

Thanks @DavefevsCan always count on you to correct me. My point still stands that while not being at Flint levels of goal scoring just yet, he is one of those central defenders who will score a few goals each season.

It’s a good habit.  The second one was a good finish, saw it late, controlled half-volley finish.  Shows his tekkers.

8 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

He wanted to go.

Exactly. The lad's played 93% of the maximum potential minutes he could have played since joining Pompey. 9 full 90 minute games in a solid League 1 side.

What would he have played in that same time here? Maybe, maybe, a couple of cameo 10 minutes here and there. 

Correct decision from all parties to let him go. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

20 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I do wonder if he might turn out to be one “who got away” in terms of our Academy players who have broken thorough to the first team but then had restricted opportunities. Will he be a better player than Vyner in a couple of years’ time? Very likely I would suggest. And given our dearth of central defenders last night, the thought of Andy King coming on to replace an injured Kalas or Vyner, doesn’t bear thinking about.

I hope he does, I only want the best for him.

However he’d be the first ever I believe to go under the category, so due to that I trust the clubs decision. I’m sure we have a lovely sell on %.

44 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Exactly. The lad's played 93% of the maximum potential minutes he could have played since joining Pompey. 9 full 90 minute games in a solid League 1 side.

What would he have played in that same time here? Maybe, maybe, a couple of cameo 10 minutes here and there. 

Correct decision from all parties to let him go. 

Ryley Towler did not want to leave. He had not pushed for a move. The move was a surprise to the player. 

He was going out on loan to gain experience to improve as a player for BCFC, something he relished doing. This was his picture and the picture being painted for him. 

The decision to let him go was not from all parties at BCFC.  

3 minutes ago, Percy Pig said:

Think you could make a case for Liam Rosenior? Other than that, none come to mind 

We didn't offer Rosenior a contract in time, vaguely recall it was supposed to have been a mix up. Meant he could walk. Typical City at certain times.
His contract had run out and he trained with Fulham to earn a move, we were paying his wage purely to get some compensation. 
I think we did want to keep Rosenior , but shot ourselves in the foot.

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

Ryley Towler did not want to leave. He had not pushed for a move. The move was a surprise to the player. 

He was going out on loan to gain experience to improve as a player for BCFC, something he relished doing. This was his picture and the picture being painted for him. 

The decision to let him go was not from all parties at BCFC.  

I'm not pretending to know him or his motivations or desires at the time. However, right now the move does seem to have been good for all parties.

5 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I'm not pretending to know him or his motivations or desires at the time. However, right now the move does seem to have been good for all parties.

Ryley leaving BCFC was not considered to be the correct decision by all at the club. Ryley did not expect to be leaving BCFC when he went to Wimbledon to gain experience to further his development as a Bristol City player in the long term, and neither did Brian Tinnion.    

22 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Ryley leaving BCFC was not considered to be the correct decision by all at the club. Ryley did not expect to be leaving BCFC when he went to Wimbledon to gain experience to further his development as a Bristol City player in the long term, and neither did Brian Tinnion.    

So who sold him? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Ok.

Isn’t it as simple as:

- City were happy for him to stay at Wimbledon

- Ryley was happy to stay at Wimbledon

Portsmouth made an offer to buy him

- City were happy with the construct of the fee

- Ryley was happy with his side of the deal

Player transfers to Portsmouth 

Just shows how quickly things can change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Isn’t it as simple as:

- City were happy for him to stay at Wimbledon

- Ryley was happy to stay at Wimbledon

Portsmouth made an offer to buy him

- City were happy with the construct of the fee

- Ryley was happy with his side of the deal

Player transfers to Portsmouth 

Just shows how quickly things can change.

I merely answered the point about all and correct. All at Bristol City did not think this was the correct decision.