IGNORED

Cardiff City away match thread

Says it all that their comms are saying they haven't seen certain players play like this before this season, they're definitely up for it.

We haven't settled yet and we've still created the best chances of the game.

Getting dragged into a bit of a fight man for man but we're holding firm and so are they, just need to be switched on when we turn the ball over.

12 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

That Scott/Mehmeti double chance really was huge. xG of 0.23 for Scott's header and a massive 0.65 for Mehmeti's follow up. Huge chances.

That's interesting - and probably a good example of some issues with xG models. Looking how close the Cardiff players were (with odd body positions) I'm sure in reality it was a lot less than 0.65. Incredibly difficult to measure though and once you start getting body positions in there the sample size would drop massively.

image.png.3cef3b6df11c557d77aa17a2d13b9f86.png

image.thumb.png.6db52a2ae7092928d8e7b423d1934213.png

Really tough chance for me

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3

Pretty poor half to be honest. They are tight and compact at the back and midfield, which doesn't help. 

Williams going off and Scott playing deeper isn't ideal either.

Pring, Sykes and O Leary are playing well.

Needs a much improved second half.

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

We’ve looked really poor so far today. Need to get Wells on second half

5 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Cardiff have been much better than us.

Interesting how people see the game differently. The game is far from a classic I agree. We’ve had some chances but Cardiff look a bit more comfortable. Relatively even. 

Edited by Engvall’s Splinter
  • Like 3
3 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

That's interesting - and probably a good example of some issues with xG models. Looking how close the Cardiff players were (with odd body positions) I'm sure in reality it was a lot less than 0.65

image.png.3cef3b6df11c557d77aa17a2d13b9f86.png

image.thumb.png.6db52a2ae7092928d8e7b423d1934213.png

Really tough chance for me

Numbers from infogol. It's the best of the free xG number crunchers, but a more sophisticated paid for provider may well give a different figure. The also may adjust it on review. 0.65 is the instant inplay figure. You're correct it's not an exact science.

Checked and FotMob are giving it just 0.25. They give Scott's 0.18. so infogol may well have gone a little mad there.

0.25 is still a very good chance from open play.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Thanks 1

A tense, fairly even, generally scrappy first half. It has the feel of a bottom end of the the table contest.

We’ve looked bright at times and probably had the better of the possession.

Chances-wise, both teams have had them - ours probably the better, notably a cross from Sykes on the break off the line from a Scott header and a Tanner cross hitting the bar. 

Talking of Scott, he and Mehmeti very quiet today but that’s as much to do with them being marked out the game - in fact it’s nice to have a home team so obviously set up to counter our threats. 

They say if you double up on one player that brings opportunities for others…which brings us on to Bell. You can’t fault is work rate, but he’s just not ready yet for the central role. Virtually every time the play came to him it broke down.  I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I’m surprised NP continues to play him there right now.

Hope Williams injury isn’t a bad one, the reshuffle weakening us for me with Scott dropping deeper and Weimann still an bit out of form.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Numbers from infogol. It's the best of the free xG number crunchers, but a more sophisticated paid for provider may well give a different figure. The also may adjust it on review. 0.65 is the instant inplay figure. You're correct it's not an exact science.

Do they adjust the result manually sometimes then, from what you're saying? Or adjust the input variables?

I'm a big proponent of xG by the way so no criticism. It's just interesting when you see examples where it perhaps works well/poorly.

Checked and FotMob are giving it just 0.25. They give Scott's 0.18. so infogol may well have gone a little mad there.

0.25 is still a very good chance from open play.

Yeah - the 0.65 stood out as that's close to a penalty in many models I think!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

Average first half. 

We are really struggling to break down their back five. 

We've had nothing down our left and Williams going off has not helped. 

Cam Pring my Mom so far. 

Second half we could really do with Wells on and we need to go at them from both wings. 

In the centre of midfield we've not been pressing them hard enough. Most of their attacks have come from the middle of the park normally after one of their players has fallen over and been awarded a free kick. 

The Cider'eds are in great voice. I don't think the Diff fans have made any noise at all. Seems like quite a flat atmosphere. 

• Like 1

Very hard to break down that back 5 and City's slow tempo is suiting Cardiff.

Can we play in Weimann breaking the offside trap occasionally?

For them, the loanee Philogene is giving Cam a real test and Ojo looks good in the breakdown.

With those 2 free-kicks conceded by Scott, we were relived to hear the whistle.

Just need to improve our passing in the final third and spring that offside trap, because Cardiff are trying to win by osmosis.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Do they adjust the result manually sometimes then, from what you're saying? Or adjust the input variables?

I'm a big proponent of xG by the way so no criticism. It's just interesting when you see examples where it perhaps works well/poorly.

Yeah - the 0.65 stood out as that's close to a penalty in many models I think!

Yeh most models give a penalty around about 0.72.

I'm not sure if Infogol do a full human review, but they definitely adjust the numbers after a game. A few times I've looked at FT figures, then gone back a couple of days later and it's changed.

They have a detailed methodology here https://www.infogol.net/en/blog/education/expected-goals-shot-maps-explained-8102019

Their in-play model does not consider defensive players. It's mainly based on "the x, y location on the field where an attempt originates, whether the attempt is made with the foot, the head or another body part and a descriptive assessment of which type of phase of play preceded the attempt." So a shot like Mehmeti's, without the defenders, is basically a penalty. 

• Thanks 2